1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans going to sign Mallet and Hoyer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vjohnson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. MONON

MONON Member

What up & coming qb wouldn't turn down the Jets for Houston? :grin:

I also like the competition between Hoyer & Mallett. Both backed up Brady & know the system we use. I think it'll make both better.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's a dumb statement?

Can you explain the logic behind signing Brian Hoyer, a quarterback so amazing the Browns don't want him?

Stopgap? Placeholder?

Please... I get that there are no Aaron Rodgers out there easily available...
    AND I get that while I'm also not super excited about Mallet, at least there is that Nick Foles like glimmer of hope that he can be great, except stay healthy.

But why back that up with Hoyer? To maybe make the playoffs if Mallet gets hurt? To provide competition in camp for Mallet?

I'd rather both my backups be Tom Savage like relative unknowns with potential.

I'm not an NFL cap expert... but I just don't understand spending the money on Hoyer when you could perhaps spend it elsewhere and it would have bigger impact to the LONG-TERM success of the franchise.

3. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Buying my Mallet jersey.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody's assuming Mallett will get the bulk of the snaps...

How long was he upright last year before they had to scramble to sign Case Kenum?

I think assuming durability is a mistake until he shows it in the NFL. You could end up with 2 or 3 starts from him like last year.

I'm going to guess we see a whole lot more Hoyer than people think.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

$4.5MM per year is the going rate for a solid backup these days. You need to have a good backup in this league especially if your QB situation is rocky to begin with.

So if either Mallett proves to be the guy or if we find the guy in the next two years, we will still have a solid backup on a good value deal going forward. It is smart business.

Also, tanking in football is illogical.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

His injury was self induced, he has a quick trigger that will hopefully keep him from taking the big hit, then you have Hoyer as insurance. Why are people saying we will cut Fitz? We have him locked up under a decent contract so you either get something for him in trade or ya keep him until we or some desperate team after their qb goes down offers a nice trade.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I guess...but

Mallet is not a rookie and he has actually played for the team in question. Wilson was a rookie and never played for the team in question.

Flynn had been a backup and never given the starting job. Hoyer has been given the chance and it didn't end too well.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We are set!

All aboard the Hoyer train.

9. JayZ750

Having a good backup is only useful as a temporary stopgap during the season to cover for short-term injury with your starter. I'd argue it's not useful even then if your not likely to do much damage anyway, but given I generally agree with the comment that tanking in the NFL is illogical, then whatever.

But to me, the issue is opportunity cost. A backup in the Mallet mold is better than the known quantity that is Hoyer. I'd want a known quantity if I was a real Superbowl contender. The Texans are not.

I'd rather see what Savage can do as a backup than Hoyer. To the same extent I'd rather have seen Mallet as the starter all year last year, which in hindsight would have been just as useful if not more.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Do you really believe that after a 9-7 season with the #1 pick in the draft missing like 13/14 games?

There aren't very many holes on the team and a really great B o'B draft can fill a lot of those spots.

I think this definately improves the QB spot from last year and Mallet still has a ton of upside.

Free Agency has been an A so far. Locked up the teams two biggest FA's and brought back/signed the top two QB's on the market..I think

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why are you getting upset over a guy who, if all goes according to plan, will never see the field?

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>On Hoyer as of a few min minutes ago: He's leaning towards <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a>, but <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jets?src=hash">#Jets</a> still in it.</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/575026611256487936">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really see Hoyer as an upgrade over Fitz so if he signs, great, if he doesn't, also great. Let's face it, this season is Mallett or bust.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Don't forget that Fitzpatrick did suffer a pretty serious injury, and at his age no guarantees he comes back full strength, especially for a guy that relies on his legs a lot.

IMO Hoyer is a step up with a higher ceiling so I'm all for it. Mallett is the higher potential guy that should start immediately, but Hoyer is there to weather the storm if we need it.

16. today

today Contributing Member

Wow, love that Mallet contract. Don't like the Hoyer signing though, it means we're satisfied at QB and won't move up in the draft to get a top QB.

I'm still in the "we need a superstar QB" camp. Somebody please turn back the clock on Warren Moon...

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Fitz had his best season under BOB maybe Hoyer will as well? It's obvious BOB thinks he'll be able to do more with Hoyer over Fitz so I'll go with him.

18. JayZ750

Upset? I'm just bored by it and asking someone to explain it to me?

I am sure you will/can explain it in your typical way that spins it as a positive, as if the Texans are on the right path here...

Sorry, their approach to the QB situation doesn't excite me.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I shouldn't really say "or bust", the Texans have such a weak schedule that they could potentially make the playoffs even if Hoyer is their QB but I wouldn't expect it to be fun to watch. Either way, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

20. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Houston Texans. Mediocre 4 Life.