1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans going to sign Mallet and Hoyer

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vjohnson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I get that a Mallet/Fitzpatrick competition is too status quo and the team already knows how that is going to end but what about a Mallet/(insert 1st round rookie) competition?

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Think of it as Russell Wilson (to a lesser degree) vs. Matt Flynn (to a slightly higher degree).

I think Mallett will win as long as he improves upon what we saw from that one game he played last year.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wilson/Flynn would have been more like if they signed Mallet and drafted Petty or Hundley.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Hoyer is getting that long term backup money. Mallett is getting the short term starter, prove it money.

It is pretty clear what the situation is going to be, regardless of what O'Brien says in the spotlight.

5. spence99

spence99 Member

I guess we don't think much of Tom Savage then? If Savage could be the future, then why not have him as the backup QB?

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Would you feel comfortable throwing him into the lineup if Mallet/Hoyer get hurt or would you prefer Mallet/Hoyer as the backup? No need to rush Savage unless those two suck ass.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a perfect world he steps up his game and earns it making Hoyer nothing but veteran insurance.

8. vince

vince Member

In the NFL, it is all about the guaranteed money. Jets offering more doesnt mean much, if the guaranteed money is about the same. As teams cut players with contacts all the time.

Good signing by the Texans.

Also Fitz was a good player. He just lacks the special throw in his arsenal. Fitz is consistently good but cannot be great. I am sure he is still NFL good for backing up purposes. This season was his best in his career.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not necessarily.

Mallet was a 3rd round draft pick. Brian Hoyer is a FA signing.

Wilson was a 3rd round draft pick. Matt Flynn was a FA signing.

Can you see the similarities now?

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe mallet is just a dumb guy. You always take the money in the NFL.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Funny, I saw that and thought "maybe he's not as dumb as everyone says he is" because while the general rule is to take the money, the other rule is to stay the hell away from the Jets. Being the Jets QB is only slightly better than the Browns QB.

12. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

He doesn't need a lot of money. Arkansas lifestyle.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's likely the Jets were the only other team offering the chance to start and, well, it's the Jets. Being in New York or New Jersey, with taxes, the money is closer than what's on the surface.

Not to mention he's also a Texas kid and it's easier to want to stay closer to home. I think the decision was likely easier than it seems.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The bigger factor is that the jets can't guarantee him a starter job and mallet is betting on himself earning a bigger contract in two years. Can't earn a mega deal unless he gets to start.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not only that, but the Texans offered to bring him scantrons. He's always been big on that.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Why go to the Jets and have to learn a brand new system all over again? He's knows and is comfortable in BOB's system which will give him a chance to get a huge contract extension this coming offeseason if he can prove himself. Much better chance of making more money this way than making a few extra million with the Jets in the short term.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

a) why not? b) did the Texans?

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hedging the bets, one is high risk/high return, one is low risk/ low return.
    I'm with Max though Hoyer=Fitz to me, why bother?

I still think Petty would beat them both out, but I guess NFL coaches don't get the years to grow a QB. I'm sure we won't be drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds, no need for a drafted one at all with Savage.

Mallet is going to need a deep threat/speed guy to take advantage of his throwing strength.
    Foster should benefit from Mallet, 1. because throwing deep moves safeties back 2. a tall QB sees and throws the flat patterns better.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Or he sees himself excelling in Houston hence setting up for a bigger payday in the future.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yep. He's with a coach he trusts, in a system he knows, with talented guys he's familiar with by now. If he shows he's the QB of the future next year, he will make some serious bank.