1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans GM Rick Smith taking extended family medical leave

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Remix, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Isn't that the title he has now?

He just has no football operations attached to it anymore... so yes, a demotion (but he still likely gets paid the same).

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I rather have Douglas or Mcclay or Caserio than him; he made some of the terrible FA decisions while he was here

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How do we know which moves he made vs the coach vs Rick smith?

houstonstime and texian like this.
  4. texian

texian Member

Says who? Rick had final say on everything. Anybody attributing a player to Gaine who wasn't in the room is just making isht up, angling for a narrative. Whispers, anonymous sources are baseless BS. I can give you 3 drastically different angles from 3 different local radio guys that are all wrong. We just witnessed it before the Tiffany Smith news came out... everything said was wrong locally/nationally. They have to fill hours every day... they make isht up.

What makes you think McClay made decisions over Jerry Jones?

What makes you think Caserio made decisions over Bill Belichick?

We can assume Douglas' input was heavily relied on by Roseman, because Roseman is a contract guy with no football background. I'd be surprised if Lurie doesn't block him.

How would anybody outside of the room know if Eliot Wolf did anything worthwhile in GB? Doesn't sound like he's getting the GM job. Could have been Alonzo Highsmith who liked the better players they drafted.

Absent prior GM experience, nobody has any real basis for evaluating these guys except those who worked alongside them or interview them.

And once a guy is in place, history tells us he'll still have to deal with the McNairs making player decisions.

Hey Now! likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well if they were bad, it was BOB, if they were good it was Kubiak, or Rick smith, or just a team choice, but not in any way BOB... unless it was a bad move.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I guess but I still rather have those 3; I bet Mcclay and Douglas get blocked and that should tell you enough about how their own teams respect them

7. texian

texian Member

The more I read, the murkier those rules are.

I think they can only block an advance in position while they're in season... so PHI is in the playoffs, Douglas can be held back until they're out.

Now the candidate can decline, like if Jerruh gives McClay a pile of money to stick around.

The murky part comes in when in 2015 CIN would not allow Vance Joseph out of his contract as defensive backs coach to become Kubiak's Defensive Coordinator, forcing DEN to go with Wade. Joseph was blocked from a higher level position.

I'm not clear on when/who/how teams can block a guy from advancement... seems a bit unfair.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Dang, my top pick.

11. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

I thought they could only decline lateral moves. Isnt GM above his current position?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think that's with coaches & not GMs. Could be wrong there, I don't know either way.

I think all these teams could decline if they want.

Eagles VP of player personnel Joe Douglas
    Cowboys VP of player personnel Will McClay
    Bills exec Brian Gaine
    Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst
    Patriots Nick Caserio
    Texans assistant GM Jimmy Raye III

Eagles & Patriots already declined, I think the Cowboys will as well. Gaine & Gutekunst will interview; and Jimmy is already in house.

I think it'll be Jimmy or Brian Gaine.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just no jimmy or gaine somebody from outside organization.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just have to wait until eagles are out of playoff and then they can’t deny permission

Just wait.

My guess though is they want to hire gaine and this gives a convenient excuse

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think you can decline if the candidate is in charge of the final roster for his current team

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Under the NFL's loosened rules for hiring executives from other teams, Caserio and Ossenfort still might be able to interview for the Texans' GM job after the Patriots' season ends, according to a league source.

In the interim, the Texans' search is focused on two names: Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst and Bills vice president of player personnel Brian Gaine.

Last year, the Patriots allowed Caserio to talk with the 49ers, but this year the same opportunity was not given to Houston.

But new rules implemented by the NFL last offseason will give Caserio and other front-office executives some flexibility. In past years, certain teams blocked other teams from interviewing key front-office executives by saying that the individual had final say on the 53-man roster.

The exact language from the NFL's anti-tampering policy reads as follows: "Final authority regarding the composition of the 53-player roster is not a requirement."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...exans-request-interview-top-executives-gm-job

18. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Why would we want a guy from the Packers? Their roster sucks, Rodgers carries that franchise.

vjohnson likes this.
  19. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Oh wow a Bills executive too I'm so excited.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So obvious they will get Gaine. This franchise is so predictable and basic.