1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Free Agent News

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Made some bad choices off the field but on the field he's someone that can provide constant pressure on the qb.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They still have Pagan on the roster.

From Walterfootball.com:

Jason Hatcher, DE/DT, Redskins. Age: 34
    Mike DeVito, DE/DT, Chiefs. Age: 32
    Chris Canty, DE/DT, Ravens. Age: 33
    Stephen Bowen, DE/DT, Jets. Age: 32
    Alex Carrington, DE/DT, Bills. Age: 29
    Leger Douzable, DE/DT, Jets. Age: 30
    Cam Thomas, DE/DT, Steelers. Age: 29
    Billy Winn, DE/DT, Colts. Age: 27
    Damion Square, DE/DT, Chargers. Age: 27
    Clifton Geathers, DE/DT, Steelers. Age: 28.
    Brandon Bair, DE/DT, Eagles Age: 31.

These are the guys listed as DT/DE. There are probably one or two listed as only DE or DT who could two gap in a 3-4.

None of these guys are particularly any good, but neither was Crick, so it shouldn't be a problem to get a big warm body in there. Also, there is the round of salary cap cuts that comes after the draft where you can pick up some value, and then again later during training camp.

I'd guess Pagan is pretty much going to be the place holder until after the draft, at least. My guess is they will throw out bargain basement deals to several guys in succession until they find one to bite. I don't think they are in a position to spend much of anything at all.

Greg Hardy wouldn't be able to play DE for the Texans, even if they wanted the loser. He'd have to play OLB.

#1122 Ottomaton, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've said they needed DL/OL help more than anything from the beginning.

Even if you kept Crick, between he and Wilfork you aren't getting and push from your DLine outside of Watt.

They HAVE to get someone else who can push the pocket on the DLine, and I don't mean an occasional sub like Covington was.

4. justtxyank

If this team signed Greg Hardy they could count me out as a fan.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Zero chance it happens while Bob McNair is alive.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Texans would be the last team in the league to sign Hardy. The guy is scum.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Nor should it

No owner should be willing to sign a complete piece of **** like him

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just a thought, would love some feedback. What about pushing Clowney in to DE, and putting Simon or Cliett (depending on how he does in camp) in his spot.

D-line could be Clowney - Wilfork - Watt with an extra rusher of Merci,
    or
    Cliett, Clowney, Watt, Merci

I think that looks pretty tough, I would still go with the draft of a DL but Clowney spends most downs with his hand on the ground anyways, why not?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clowney's strength is being on the outside, he's not really a DT which is what a DE in a 3-4 is. I think it's far more likely that they draft an interior defensive lineman or just plug in Covington as the DE than it is that they move Clowney to the inside and take away his speed and his ability to set the edge against the run.

10. gucci888

Only thing is that you'd almost be giving up on Clowney as a pass rusher with these lineups full time. I believe Clowney had his hand in the dirt most of the time as a 4-3 DE, which is his natural position. But having him as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT would drastically change what he was brought in to do. He does play the run well where he could spin down to 3-4 DE if he can't get pressure consistently though.

But I like the idea of having our best pass rushers in Watt, Clowney, Merci, and Simon on passing downs though. Only issue would ILB coverage, RBs and TEs would have a field day with Cushing and McKinney.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

trade for Wilkerson plz

12. Pete the Cheat

how would that work with his cap figure? ($15MM)

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

trade hoyer, and some other low cap hit player, then don't draft anyone... boom.

14. gucci888

Would be pretty difficult. We have $3.5 in remaining cap space after the allocation for the draft pool so would need to free up another $12M. Cutting Hoyer would give us $5M so would still need an additional $7M which would require getting rid of a starter or 2.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

true

plus it seems like we are saving cap space to carry over to next year to pay Hopkins

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you should be questioning your life choices if you would even entertain for one nanosecond a piece of human garbage like hardy.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I agree that Hardy is the lowest of trash...

But what does have to do with fielding the most competitive football team you can field? If the US legal system has an issue with him, then it's on them to figure out how to treat him as a human being. The NFL is a game where modern day gladiators try to kill each other...I dont get this crazy amount of anger geared towards a team that is willing to sign him.

18. justtxyank

Teams get to decide who they give millions of dollars to and I personally don't want the team I support give him that money.

I have hiring control over most of my company and I wouldn't hire someone that was a dirtbag, even if they made me money.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

exactly how I feel

I also can't imagine most teammates willing to play with scum like that. I would want no association with him

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Unless you have a way of finding out every detail about a person, there is a solid chance 10% of the current roster is filled with dirtbags, whether we know about it or not. Are there different levels of dirtbags, sure...but Im not the judge of who is more of a douche over another douche.