1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Free Agent News

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 7, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

2. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Contract numbers haven't been released, but I would have to assume if he was wanting to sign with the Texans, they would have moved on from Hoyer with the snap of their fingers to clear cap space for Fairley.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans restricted free agent corner A.J. Bouye signing his $1.671 million tender today, according to a source</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/714474194298212354">March 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Holy ***!

Don't you think he'd line up at end in our defense? He's not really a nose tackle... Watt, Wilfork, Fairly would have been just disgusting... in a good way.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This doesn't really belong here, but I couldn't find anywhere that it did, and it doesn't deserve a whole new thread.

In the NFL, it ever hurts to plan ahead. Could this be the next head coach of your Houston Texans?

[rquoter]
    Rex Ryan thinks Ed Reed can be a head coach within five years

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Ed Reed's NFL coaching career began about two months ago when his longtime coach, Rex Ryan, called Reed and helped convince him -- and his son -- to join the Buffalo Bills' coaching staff as an assistant defensive backs coach.

Ryan believes Reed has what it takes to become a head coach, quickly.

"When we had him his last year with the Jets, he was the pied piper," Ryan said last week at the NFL owners meetings. "They all followed him and they all learned the game. And that's why I know this guy's going to be a great coach.

"I would not be shocked if Ed Reed ends up being a head coach within five years. That's how quick this dude's going to rise. Teaching guys how to study tape, how to get things, playing the game."

Reed, 37, made more of an impact in the meeting room than on the field in his brief time with Ryan's New York Jets in 2013, and Ryan has pointed frequently to those seven games as one reason why the future Hall of Fame safety will make a quick and easy transition into coaching. However, Reed was known for having an unpredictable personality in Baltimore, a quality that might have helped him on the field as a player but isn't always desirable in a coach.

Of the current 32 NFL head coaches, only two were tapped to run a team only five years after making their start in the profession: Dallas' Jason Garrett, who joined the Miami Dolphins as a quarterbacks coach in 2005 and was the Cowboys' head coach by 2010, and Jack Del Rio, who was named the Saints' linebackers coach in 1998 before landing a head-coaching gig with the Jaguars in 2003.

[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Anybody feel like bringing Antonio Smith back?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For what? As a coach?

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Is he that old? I dunno. I'm just worried about d-line more than anything else, and there is no one left.. was really hoping for Wilkerson, and Fairley would have been awesome, didn't know we were looking at him though.

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd rather use the money to re-sign players like Crick, Demps, etc. Texans need the depth. They can find a DE in the draft

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah he really is. He's going to be 35 and he was washed up a few years ago. I think the D line will be alright, we need to add a NT to take over for Wilfork and a essentially a DT to play DE opposite Watt, but honestly I think Covington could be that DE and a backup NT can be had in the draft.

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

PFF Grades:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/23/pro-free-agency-grades-for-jaguars-texans-colts-and-titans/

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

First 3 rounds I'm thinking DE, SS & TE. I think those are the 3 positions in dire need of a starter upgrade. NT, G, OT, C, WR, OLB, ILB would be picks I'd use to add some depth behind the starters and maybe challenge for a starting spot.

Would like too see Crick retained.

Dodd, Nassib, Butler, K Joseph, Bell, Henry, Hooper would be significant upgrades to the roster

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We need a FA and a rookie DE. Crick sucks, do not want him back. He's been underwhelming from the moment he put on a Texans jersey.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I wouldn't give crick anything more than backup money

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Agree on Crick he has done much with the time he has had next to Watt and we need production out of that second DE spot... I wouldn't mind us keeping him on but at a very low cost.

19. conquistador#11

on texanstalk radio one said that crick has an offer but is waiting around. in romeo's Defense, that position is manned best by a ty warren type, which was crick coming into last season. He really should have had 4.5 sacks but 2 of them were called back by a roughing the passer and a KJ illegal contact.

Fairley would have been a nice dream replacement but the texans didn't want to over pay for a ty warren boxscore, when they already have white ty warren. otherwise, fairley would be a texan.

Ninja as a coach would be interesting.

20. htown1984

htown1984 Member

The Patriots are signing a million tight Ends- looks like there offense is going to be heave tight end sets.. also they signed a couple of Wide Receivers and work out Mike williams yesterday..
    Is the end near for Danny Amendola (woodlands kid).. If they cut him, he
    would be perfect for the Texans (And actually would more and likely sign here)

what you guys think?