1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Icehouse, Dec 24, 2006.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You understand the person responsible for these picks is now gone, right?

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'm positive on Mario for some reason - he definitely has the raw talent/size speed. Next year when his foot isn't falling off, hopefully we see a monster.

3. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

I think 1st round we should definitely go either Laron Landry or Reggie Nelson unless of course AP is there. Our pass defense is atrocious and even Dunta gets beat many times. A safety would cover Faggins' horrible CB skills as well. Draft experts say that Reggie Nelson is the next Ed Reed so either him or Laron would be awesome.
    In the 2nd round I say we go with Kevin Kolb. We need another QB and he could sit for a year and let maybe Jake Plummer start. And Gary Kubiak would be able to work his QB magic on Kolb. I think he is perfect for the system b/c I saw him play yesterday against South Carolina and he is an amazing passer on the run and he has the ability to break tackles. And he has a good understanding of stepping up in the pocket when protection breaks down.
    In the 3rd round I'd like to see us go and get a DT like Demarcus Tyler or Amobi Okoye if they are still there. We need someone to help out Mario Williams and both of them are good at stopping the run and getting to the QB. And for those who haven't heard of Amobi Okoye, he is the 19 year old senior from Louisville. He has a lot of potential because of his age and he has the experience of a senior.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would also like to see Mario lose a little weight. He doesn't have a good first step IMO and I think losing some weight would dramatically improve his quickness w/o losing a lot of strength.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Question: Where is Chris Leak expected to go? I've always really liked his pocket presence and arm strength. Yesterday, I heard Urban Meyer interviewed about him, and he said that Leak was the most intelligent QB he's ever coached, including Alex Smith. I know he's a little undersized, but I'd say he's the prospect QB that would be the least of a project. He could start from day 1 and be successful.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sounds good to me. Sounds like what I wanted.

And after googling Okoye, he sounds very intriguing. What a story that seems to be.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Can someone explain to me why Brady Quinn is being projected as the #1 pick while Troy Smith is a middle to late 1st rounder? I still don't understand this. Is it just a height issue?

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yes, it's height. Troy Smith will likely measure under 6'0.

9. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

anyone have a current SOS ranking? taking into account the early games...

10. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Just heard they will have the 10th pick. Yikes....I wonder if the win was worth it!!!

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Any chance of getting that big offensive tackle Johnson with the #10?

If we could get him and then take Kolb in the 2nd or 3rd that would be a damn fine draft.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Well, Petersen won't be there at 10, so that sux.

13. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

He will be an Arizona Cardinal.

Give me LaRon Landry in the 1st and Troy Smith in the 2nd.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Damn no A.P. I guess Lynch would be a nice player to have. He reminds me of Clinton Portis but faster. If we get a real qb Dwayne Jarrett wouldnt be a bad pick either at #10 to put next to AJ and make Moulds the #3 wideout.

15. weslinder

After the games they gotten from Dayne and Taylor in the past two weeks, there is no way the Texans would have drafted a running back in the first couple of rounds. Like it or not, Kubiak-ball works as advertised.

16. The Real Shady

That sucks that we're drafting 10th, but at least we won our last two games.

Levi Brown the LT out of Penn State could be an option for us now at pick 10. I would pick between him or Lynch.

Levi Brown
    OT | (6'4", 325, 5.3) | PENN STATE

Scouts Grade: 95
    View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
    You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height and very good bulk. He displays outstanding quickness and body control for such a big offensive lineman. He has long, thick arms and also has a wide base. He does a good job of coming out of his stance low as a run blocker and he is big enough to engulf most defenders at the point of attack once in position. Does a good job with his first step and consistently takes good angles as a run blocker. Works hard to finish and shows enough of a mean streak. Sets quickly and rarely will get beat by speed off the edge. He displays above average lateral mobility. Also shows awareness to pick up stunts and blitzes in pass pro.

Weaknesses: Still has room to improve in terms of his overall technique. He needs to become more effective with his hand-placement and avoid getting crossed over as much in pass pro. He falls off of blocks occasionally and needs to do a better job of locking on and sustaining. He absorbs defenders at times instead of being aggressive and attacking. He will flash a mean streak occasionally but he also will look mechanical at times, which leads to him losing leverage and balance.

Overall: Brown practiced at defensive tackle in 2002, did not see any action, and was redshirted. He was converted to the offensive line before the 2003 season and became the starting left tackle for all 12 games that year. As a redshirt sophomore in 2004, Brown started 10 games (nine at LOT and one at ROT), missing one game (10/9 vs. Purdue) because of a sprained knee that he sustained vs. Minnesota. He started all 12 games at the left tackle position in 2005.
    Brown is an experienced left tackle prospect that will finish his career at Penn State as a four-year starter. He still has room to improve in terms of technique, but no senior offensive lineman prospect in the country boasts a better combination of size, agility and strength. Brown projects as a starting left tackle in the NFL and he could be the first offensive lineman selected in next April's NFL draft.

17. weslinder

Brown doesn't look like what the Texans need. He's primarily a pancaking run-blocker who can pass-block adequately. He's a little big and slow for the zone-blocking scheme. Picking him would just be picking a 1st round LT for the sake of picking a 1st round LT. Landry would be a much better choice.

18. The Real Shady

It guided us to the 27th best offense in the NFL this season.

It's only worked the last couple of games, and I would be very pissed if the Texans don't add another RB in either the first three rounds of the draft or through free agency.

19. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

2nd round pick - I would love to have Troy Smith. he's ony 6 feet or 6'1'', but so is Drew Brees, big deal. This guy is a dual threat, pass 1st QB, strong arm, poise, and he is a mature, humble kid, too. However what I like the most, is that he rises to the occasion and plays his best, plays great in the biggest games. His best performances this yr were against 2 #2 teams. He was brilliant vs. both Texas and Michigan. He has played in HUGE games, 3 OSU Michigan games, 3 BCS games, a national championship and played 3 #2 teams this yr, and playing agianst premium competion.

However, JaMarcus Russell would be perfect at #10. 6'6'', great size, rocket arm, dual-threat QB, SEC competion and success, leadership. Whole package. Sit either one for a yr, behind Sage.

20. The Real Shady

IMO safeties are not that important, and top 10 picks should not be used on them. I equate the safety position to being as important as the TE position is on offense.