1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Icehouse, Dec 24, 2006.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

this proposed draft really made me smile...

1st: RB
    [​IMG]

2nd: FS
    [​IMG]

3rd: QB
    [​IMG]

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thats a very nice draft and all 3 have Texas connections. If Kolb and Troy Smith were both there who would you take?? Thats a tough call.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Griffin will most likely be gone by the 2nd, and Kolb is seriously doubtful to drop to the third unless his combine blows goats... but lets dream some more

A more realistic scenario would be...

1st: Peterson, Branch, or Hall

2nd: Griffin, Kolb, Merriweather, Weddel, or Ross

3rd: Some scrub

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This has been my proposed draft for a while, we'd be getting a stud RB, SS, and we'd also have our QB of the future.

5. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I would first concentrate on a Left Tackle. If the talent level doesn't justify using such a high pick here, then I'd go for a Cornerback. But getting one will be crucial. Especially with the 1st round pick.

A saftey is a hole, but saftey's can be found later in the draft or in free agency.

My preference for the draft.

1. Offensive line (if a Left Tackle "1st round") Anything else 2nd round.
    2. Cornerback (The best of the best are gone by the start of the 2nd round)
    3. Bruising running back (just look what Dayne has done recently)
    4. Free saftey (could get one in the 3rd or 4th rounds.)
    5. Depth at Linebacker (Usually, NFL linebackers are all over the board)

6. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Forget AP we have a Heisman winner in Ron Dayne, did Peterson ever win a Heisman? Didn't think so.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I'm all about improving an already stout defense. The DL is hurting with both DTs hurt and one (Payne) is doubtful to ever come back. I like Alan Branch (DT) out of Michigan (if he declares). I also wouldn't mind a CB with the first pick either. Second round the team should go OL, LB, S in which ever order. I would like to see Kolb get taken by the Texans, but I just want to improve period.

My draft:

1) Alan Branch (DT) Michigan
    2) Joe Staley (OT) Western Michigan
    3) LB or S

For the record I'm not sold on Dayne as our RB of the future, Taylor looked good but I'm sure we can find a back on the second day.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like Kolb but I'd have to go with Smith. Kubiak likes mobile QBs and Smith is very mobile to say the least. He has a very good arm as well.

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Sign JEFF GRACIA and draft Adrian Peterson !

and we're gooood to gooo

8-8

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

No I mean't if they were both there in the 2nd round who would take.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I say Landry 1st rd, Merriweather 2nd rd, and maybe Kolb in the 3rd. I want the defense dominant plus its portable in any weather and environment.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Interesting Mock from www.nfldraftblitz.com.

2007 NFL Mock Draft

By: Chris Horwedel

12/29/06

Round 1:

1. Detroit Lions - Brady Quinn QB, Notre Dame:
    Analysis: Despite the objections of Lions fans, it seems like the team is seriously considering going the quarterback route with their top pick. Quinn's been getting a bad rap all year as he falls into the trap of a player who's on top for some long, people just start looking for anything to knock him on. A proven winner, there's no reason he can't be a big-time NFL quarterback.

2. Oakland Raiders - *JaMarcus Russell (QB) LSU
    Analysis: This is a Raiders kind of pick for sure. Russell may have the most upside of nearly any player in this draft class. He's improved by leaps and bounds this season and possesses the kind of arm strength that's unmatched by nearly any person alive today. He'll need to sit for a bit while he adjusts to the NFL, but he's worth waiting on.

3. Cleveland Browns - *Calvin Johnson (WR) Georgia Tech
    Analysis: Here we come to the first real curveball of the draft. Wide receiver isn't really a position of need for the Browns, but they can't pass up on the chance to select an almost can't miss superstar wide receiver to add to their offense. Adding Calvin immediately makes Charlie Frye, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Braylon Edwards that much better.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gaines Adams DE, Clemson:
    Analysis: This is a tough decision for Tampa Bay as they didn't expect to have both Gaines Adams and Joe Thomas still on the board. Ultimately they have to go with Adams who could step in for Simeon Rice without the defense missing a beat. In the NFL today, having pass rushers at the defensive end spot is absolutely critical to a defense.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Joe Thomas OT, Wisconsin
    Analysis: Arizona just sits back and has the player they wanted all along fall to them here at five. Thomas is a potential franchise left tackle who has the athletic ability to get down the field and block. A weakspot for years, Thomas does wonders to improve the offensive line and make life easier on Matt Leinart and Edgerrin James.

6. Houston Texans - *Marshawn Lynch (RB) California-
    Analysis: Could this be Ricky Williams/Edgerrin James part 2? We think so as the Texans elect to go with Lynch over the arguably higher rated Adrian Peterson. Peterson's injury woes trouble the team here and his upright running style seals the deal. Lynch is a multi-purpose back who can run both inside and outside effectively, while still possessing breakaway speed.

7. Washington Redskins - *Alan Branch (DT) Michigan
    Analysis: We don't like to predict trades in our mock drafts, but if we did this pick would almost certainly be headed somewhere else in exchange for a talented but severely overpaid veteran who could do his part to clogs the arteries of the Redskins salary cap for years to come. But since we don't, the Skins take Branch here which almost certainly won't happen because, well it makes sense.

8. Minnesota Vikings - Leon Hall (CB) Michigan
    Analysis: This pick comes down to Hall or Dwayne Jarrett for the Vikings, but Hall wins out when the decide that a potential lockdown cornerback is harder to find and more valuable then a potentially very good wide receiver. Hall's not the fastest cornerback in the draft, but he plats physically and has good ball skills.

9. San Francisco 49ers - *Frank Okam (DT) Texas
    Analysis: Sources close to the Longhorns program tell us that right now Okam is leaning towards entering the draft. Right now he's a little more potential then production, but his upside is enormous. The 49ers can't pass up the chance to add a potentially disruptive force at defensive tackle.

10. Miami Dolphins - LaRon Landry (S) LSU
    Analysis: Typically this level of luxury pick is reserved for better teams, but the Dolphins like the idea of adding Landry to 2006 pick Jason Allen in the defensive secondary, giving them a pair of safeties who can cover wide receivers, play physical at the line and be future team leaders.

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I will bet anyone that we will beat the Browns going away.

I'm also willing to bet that we will pick another defensive player in the first round.

Hall or Landry would thrill me.

14. The Real Shady

Another draft site that rates Lynch higher then Peterson. I like the Lynch - LT comparison.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/07runningbacks.htm

1. MARSHAWN LYNCH
    Junior
    California
    HT WT 40
    5'11 215 4.47

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grade:
    picks 3-10
    Projected Selection:
    High-Mid 1st Round
    NFL Comparison:
    LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strengths: Has outstanding balance and power especially for a player his size. Runs much bigger than his measureables may indicate. Strong lower body...runs with determination and refuses to go down. Fights for extra yardage and is excellent at breaking tackles. Lynch also has great lateral agility and can make defenders miss. Though he is elusive, he generally hits the hole going north and south. There are times when he will reverse field to try to make big plays. Improving as a receiver..has much potential there.

Weaknesses: For someone with his physical running style, Lynch only has average size, which may raise durability issues. He also has good speed, but is not a pure burner. Pass protection could improve some. Some questions on character...but so far, no major off the field incidents, still worth watching.

Overall: An NFL type back who can carry it 20-25 times. He has held up physically better than Peterson, which is why Lynch is the top back here.

2. ADRIAN PETERSON
    Junior
    Oklahoma
    HT WT 40
    6'2 218 4.38

Grade:
    picks 8-15
    Projected Selection:
    top 5 - 1st Round
    NFL Comparison:
    Steven Jackson, Rams

Strengths: Great combination of size, strength and speed. A thoroughbred with the breakaway speed to take it the distance. Exhibits great natural run instincts. Has a feel for the running game and has great vision. Finds running lanes and has excellent feet and cutback ability. Is not only fast, but powerful in the open field and tough for defensive backs to take down. Is a decent pass receiver and is experienced as a pass protector as he has often played from a shotgun.

Weaknesses: The main one is durability. He has already had his share of injuries and with his long legs and running style, it may be tough for him to stay healthy.

Overall: Peterson has All-Pro ability. However, his build and his running style coupled with his injury history should scare teams looking for a workhorse.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Until the Texans prove they can properly use their first pick, I am disinterested. It is too frustrating to watch them pass over superior talent for lesser talent.

And, until they rebuild their offensive line, something they should have done years ago, everything they do is meaningless anyway.

16. yobod

yobod Member

Agreed!

Signed,

Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson

17. The Real Shady

Touche!

Signed,

David Carr, Jabar Gaffney, Charles Hill, Bennie Joppru, Seth Wand, Dave Ragone, Tony Hollings, Jason Babin, Travis Johnson, Phillip Buchanon, and Vernand Morency.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Touche X 2!

Signed,

Read the quote wrong.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

In 3yrs you can add Mario on that list

20. The Real Shady

True. But this team is still bating 40% on their first round picks which is a terrible average for what should be your best players.

Bust/Underperformers: David Carr, Travis Johnson, Jason Babin.

Hits: Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson

I'll give Mario another season before I can add him to either list.