1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans confident Reed can play ILB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> LB coach Reggie Herring: Trevardo Williams pick "does provide us w/ options to possibly move Brooks Reed inside."</p>&mdash; Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield) <a href="https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/328201762521624580" data-datetime="2013-04-27T17:39:32+00:00">April 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Herring: I'm extremely confident if we had to move Brooks Reed to ILB. Plays with his hair on fire.</p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/328201939852599296" data-datetime="2013-04-27T17:40:14+00:00">April 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

love the idea of Reed and Cushing together

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think Reed is actually better suited for inside. My only concern is that he might be off the field on 3rd downs, but maybe he can move outside on 3rd downs?

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Maybe we try to turn Reed into a Clay Matthews type? Just lining up all over the place as match ups would dictate. The only problem is that he's nt a great rusher of the qb.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

WOOT woot...finally...Reed and Cushing could really get this position locked down...

Hence why our picks have so far been back to back DE/OLB in the 3rd and 4th...

I think Jared Crick can be a good replacement for Antonio Smith, and Montgomery, Trevardo and Mercilus hold the OLB spot down

5. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I've been asking for this move since Whitney Mercilus came of age. Always thought Reed was best suited inside due to his sideline-sideline speed. Most likely will see him there early downs, outside in nickel packages and off during dime looks. Crick will get Antonio's spot next season, and I think Montgomery will play opposite WM. Williams is by far more explosive, but he will get the backup looks to start the season.

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Good. I been wanting that. Trevardo Williams (i think more highly of him than Montgomery) and Mercilus on the outside rushing with speed...good things

But Reed will do well paired up with Cushing. No doubt we will have better OLB production which means jj watt will be even more dangerous. Can't wait

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

They'll replace Barwin with two guys. Montgomery for 1st and 2nd down, and Williams for 3rd and all passing situations.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

At first I really didn't like the idea of putting Reed inside when Cushing went down. You cant just play ILB out of nowhere, it takes time. But I'm liking the idea now. Wade Phillips is pretty creative, I think he can make it work. Allows Reed and Cushing to stay on the field for 3 downs. If he can cover I like it.

9. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I think Reed's sack numbers will improve by moving inside. He's probably as athletic as Cushing now, so I think he's going to have some great #'s at the end of the year.