1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans and the red zone

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by swilkins, Aug 13, 2012.

?

Is our red zone issues?

1. Poor execution

41 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Play choice

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bigger guys tend to do better in the red zone than small guys in real life as well. It is just not as exaggerated as in video games..at least from what I remember from games in the early 2000's.

Foster is a great running back.

What Tate did outside the red zone last year rushing was very special. He racked up 5.9 yards per carry outside the red zone. It isn't like Tate had a couple of 90 yard runs either inflating his per carry stats. He was just consistently getting yards and first downs. He averaged 98 yds/game rushing in the games Foster didn't play. I hope what Tate did last year wasn't a fluke. He used his blocking very well and once through the first hole his speed and strength help him add on a few yards consistently. Tate is a little more dependent on the system than Foster.

The Texans have a very special running back combo. I love watching both of these guys run.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not as worried about the RZ issues as you guys but I've been thinking about it... the offense is built off execution. A limited number of plays executed at a high level that setup variations of those plays. We have a small playbook. Once the field shortens up perhaps we become a tad more predictable. Perhaps we should consider expanding the playbook just a smidge for RZ situations.

The only big wrinkle I that comes to mind is hitting the FB (Leach mostly) in the flat. Other than that it's somewhat meat n' potatoes out there in the RZ.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

You can only do so much with Schaub. The back shoulder past would be lethal if Schaub didn't have a noodle arm..... Sigh. The fade to the corner of the end zone is not an option.

All we have is crossing routes which gets neutralized using a zone scheme.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, I don't have an answer and I'm not questioning Kubiak, but I do think there are coaches out there, the better offensive minds (not the ones running wildcat), that could throw a few effective wrinkles in the attack.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Foster is healthy now and he is a beast in the red zone. That said, I think the Texans are trying to add a little more power near the goal line to improve production. I am hopeful that Brandon Brooks, even if he doesn't win the Starting guard spot, can help out near the goal line.

Another plus, the Texans should have a lot more times than most teams to work on execution in the red zone this season.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

isn't the fade more about accuracy than velocity? i think they don't do it because it's Kubiak's call.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What in h-e-double hockey sticks does a noodle arm have to do a 5-10-yard pass? Good lord, some of you people.... I don't even remotely understand why you even lazily follow the team if your only use for them is to consistently kick 'em.

Between 2010 and the first 10 games of 2011 (8 of which, IIRC, were without AJ), we averaged 25.5 points a game. If people need something to grip and complain about - OK, have at our red zone failings, i guess. But from a much larger perspective, this team isn't struggling to score points when healthy - 26 points is going to win a lot of games in this league.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see red zone as too big a problem, but I still expect the Texans to work on improving it to get back into what they were doing in 2010. If the defense is as strong as last year, a healthy offense may get the ppg to about 29 ppg due to the better field position.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hahaha. Not a football guy are you?

10. ubigred

You have to have plenty of mustard to throw the back shoulder pass or it's going the other way (ie Keenum vs USM)

So you are accusing me of lazily following the team because I don't have a herd mentality when it comes to the Texans ? Ok , whatever.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Much ado about nothing.

No Andre, Schaub being rusty, etc., etc., etc., etc.

12. Namaste

Namaste Member

Foster is the game changer

A healthy Foster and Schaub changes everything. Foster opens up the outside for Johnson and the play action to Daniels. While Schaub can actually make the reads and deliver the ball. Having someone opposite AJ would help tremendously, hopefully Martin can be the rare rookie hit at WR.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's a 5-10 yard pass - are you honestly suggesting Schaub doesn't have the arm strength to complete it?

Maybe, just maybe the "or it's going the other way" component is a bigger deal than Schaub's mustard. It's a low % pass. Kubiak's offense doesn't mess with low %s.

14. ubigred

Yes, I am suggesting that . Schaub can not throw into tight windows. What I am saying is nothing new. There is a reason why he is a good QB and not a great one.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Arm strength implies distance and not accuracy. He sure didn't have a problem finding Dreesen in the end zone last year.

I think it's a combination of play calling and execution. The offense needs space to execute and there's just not enough of it for them. The misdirection boot leg seems to be the best option based on the roster but they don't seem to run that well in the red zone anyways.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good morning youtube videos to kill some time until kickoff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wfm8dJF7CpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QsQXGMqmI2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sf_aimIs5Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That clip of Cush telling Schaub to let him know if he needs blow cracks me up every time.