1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Don't forget. They have also lost Lamar Miller on offense; Clowney and Matthieu on defense.

Plus they didn't have to face Mahomes/Kelce/Hill, Brees/Kamara/Thomas, Ryan/Julio/Ridley, Newton/McCaffrey, Rivers/Allen/(Gordon) last year.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The defense wasn't that good last year either.

The Texans defense has been artificially inflated statistically under BOB because of his slow paced, super heavy run ball control offense.

When teams have needed to get down the field they've had no problem.

We subtracted a pass rusher and have probably gotten a hair worse or stayed the same on what was a below average secondary.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

6 game sample size is all you got? Good job.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Whitney, the better pass rusher has been playing out of position.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL Thanks
    You asked a question and I gave you an answer you didn't like. You asked when have they been mediocre and I gave you an answer. You didn't say "when have they been mediocre for 32 straight games".

Nook likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

That secondary is a problem. And not the good type of problem. If the Dolphins are in full tanking mode, I would have asked about Xavien Howard too. Jonathan Joseph is the best CB they have. Yuuuk! And don't sleep on the impact Clowney had on run defense. I'm going to miss seeing him chase down WRs from behind at full speed.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Still need a defense, yes the offense on paper has gotten better but at the extreme mortgage of the future. Aaron Rodgers, who Deshaun’s game resembles and who he should strive to be has only been successful when they had a defense that created turnovers. Same with Russell Wilson.
    One of the best QBs of this era hasn’t been able to carry them alone and another who relied on defense a ton.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Already reports that the Texans are looking at making Tunsil the highest paid tackle in the NFL at 5/100.

So at the end of the day the Texans basically trade 2 #1’s, 1 #2, Clowney for the right to make Tunsil the highest paid LT in the NFL (even though he isn’t even a top 10 LT), a WR that is useful but will be cut at end of the year (Stills), a 3rd down back (Duke) and a couple late draft picks?

The Bill Barnwell piece at ESPN is right on point.

Deuce, BigM and Aruba77 like this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That can’t be true. It had Clowney on it.

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

11. mockster

mockster Member

We paid dolphins more for this guy then Seattle paid for Clowney.

This outrageous

Rashmon, conquistador#11 and arkoe like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The point about Tytus is important. It's sort of like basketball where you can get a guy that will allow another guy to play his natural position. It's a big boon to the line. Howard can now just worry about playing guard and be the best guard he can be. Sure, it sucks we took a guard in the first round, but it is what it is now, hope he's not a bust.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I’m curious to see what type of contract Clowney gets next year.

We paid a ton for Tunsil but we need a LT in the worst way and he’s only 25 and entering his prime as an elite LT

Personally I liked Clowney a lot he played violent and did stuff that didn’t always show up on the sexy stat sheet.

I don’t think Clowney is ever going to be more than a 10 sack guy.

Do I think he’s still better than Whitney? Yes

But the Texans still have Watt and Whitney back at his preferred position in Romeos D if healthy should get 10+ sacks again.

I am worried about our secondary I don’t like it but our defense has been overrated for a few years now.

It’s time to light the scoreboard up.

We have a top 10 QB who’s only getting better the best WR a decent RB group with Duke being very versatile and now on paper possibly a good Oline.

We do need D but we’ve needed I for longer than I can remember. And if Watson is putting up points than the other team has to drop back and pass which means watt and merc have more opportunities to get to the QB.

Nimo and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I needed that laugh! Forgot Tunsil was the dude in the mask before the draft.

Chilly_Pete and BMoney like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think this poll would look different if the price was different. That’s probably why it’s dead even.

Did we need Tunsil? Absolutely did we pay too much? Absolutely!

But you have to find a way to protect your franchise QB.

18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

The thing is, if he turns out to be a really solid (above average-good) LG then IMO he’s 100% worth the first round pick. Having even one really solid OL (on top of Tunsil now) can do wonders toward solidifying the rest of the line.

everyday eddie, JayGoogle and Nimo like this.
  19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Coach BOB is on the 'win now or else' hot seat. The Texans schedule is tough tough tough.
    Desperate Times, Desperate Measures,
    If he doesn't win, he doesn't give a crap about future draft picks. He'll be coaching at Holy Cross or somewhere.

But the Texans are pretty much set at the critical positions for those years now anyway. QB, LT, WR, DE, you wouldn't have used a first rounder on those for two years. (and with Howard and Sharping you fairly set on the OL)

The only real disconnect is the Coaching style with the team strengths. Running the ball seems our weaker link and our coach's stated priority. I'd rather see them throw it 50 times a game now, from QB motion, bootlegs and roll outs, 4 wide with Johnson chipping and in the flat every play. They could average 300 YPG passing.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Enlighten me...

How does Tunsil's skills compare to Duane Brown ?