1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 53 man Roster Outlook

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well hell yeah because those numbers are arguably better than 6 of Tom Brady's first 7 years in the league. If Hoyer makes it the whole season, which is a huge "if" IMO, I think he has a shot at the 3600 yards and a shot at the 22 TD's....maybe even a shot at the 10 or fewer interceptions, but I don't think he hits on the 8 y/a and there's no chance in hell he hits on the 65% completion percentage.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Alex Smith has never had 8 y/a or 3600 yards, only once had over 20 TD's, and only once had over 65% completion percentage

Those numbers would be a career year for Alex Smith, I think you are not fully realizing how awesome a season like the one you just described would be for a game manager type.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To expand on that thought, Russell Wilson, the king of the game managers, has never had 3600 yards or 65% completion percentage.

4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

It's not as far-fetched as you think. Here are all the qb's who hit 64%+ last year. Hell your boy Teddy B is even on the list.

1 Tony Romo DAL 304 435 69.9
    2 Drew Brees NO 456 659 69.2
    3 Ben Roethlisberger 408 606 67.1
    4 Philip Rivers SD 379 570 66.5
    5 Ryan Tannehill MIA392 590 66.4
    6 Peyton Manning 395 597 66.2
    7 Matt Ryan ATL 415 628 66.1
    8 Jay Cutler CHI 370 561 66.0
    9 Aaron Rodgers GB 341 520 65.6
    10 Alex Smith KC 303 464 65.3
    11 Teddy Bridgewater 259 402 64.4
    12 Kyle Orton BUF 287 447 64.2
    13 Andy Dalton 309 481 64.2
    14 Tom Brady NE 373 582 64.1
    15 Mark Sanchez 198 309 64.1

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The year he got replaced with Kap he was on pace for those said numbers. He's basically a 60% and 7 y/a guy. With that being said, Fitzpatrick in this very system last year averaged 8 y/a and had a 63% completion rate. I feel with Hoyer having a vastly better understanding of the system and possibly a little more physical talent, He can accomplish those goals.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

64% isn't 65% and if you look at the rest of their numbers, they aren't in line with the rest of the prediction for the most part. For example with Bridgewater he had over 10 interceptions in only 12 starts and came well short of the 8 y/a

Sanchez started only 8 games and had over 10 interceptions with a y/a short of 8 and a completion percentage short of 65%

I could probably go down the line and show how most of them came short of the lofty goals set by the prediction.....right off the top it shows only 10 QB's met the 65% completion percentage threshold.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if he does hit on all of those numbers it would make him a borderline top 10 QB and I just don't see that as being possible. Hope you are right.

8. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Lol, now I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I feel with how O'brien coached a career year out of Fitzpatrick, he should be capable of doing the same with Hoyer. Whether Hoyer is physically able to do it is yet to be seen, but I feel like we have the talent around him to give him his best chances.

Now if it turns out we have nothing at the QB spot, which is completely possible, Lets go all in to get the highest pick possible. I don't care about O'brien's win/loss record in year two, so long as it nets us our QB. I feel O'brien is the right guy for this team, just need to get him the tools to right the ship for the long haul.

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Hell, even if his completion percentage hovers at anywhere above 60, I'll take that as a win, but he should be capable of at least meeting Fitzpatrick's marks from last year.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair, but Hoyer has a lot farther to come than Fitz did, right now a 60% completion percentage would be a career year for Hoyer as a starter.

I'm hoping for the best but I'm still not sure Hoyer makes it more than half the season before being yanked. I think his physical limitations will become more and more annoying as the season goes on but we do have a really nice receiver corps so maybe we could see that huge leap to 65% out of him, it would make the Texans a lock for the playoffs if he hit on all of those numbers. Hell, they'd most likely win the division.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Plan is for Kenny Hilliard to sign with Texans' practice squad if he goes unclaimed, per source</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/640550422827012096">September 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, I'm just trying to be optimistic about the quarterbacks on the roster. I don't expect a whole lot, just trying to predict what could end up being a possibility. I'm not trying to go into this season with a doom and gloom outlook. That's how I felt these last couple of years, and I was pleasantly surprised with the success of the team with O'brien's first season. I expect him to continue get more from this current group than last year, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I rather not be praying for next year's draft to come quicker at the start of the season.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Plus 5 D-linemen.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My major source of optimism is the defense. The Texans could legitimately have the best defense in the NFL especially if Clowney is healthy and playing like everyone thinks he can and JJo hasn't lost too much.

The top defense in the league can carry a team pretty damn far, just ask the Seachickens.

15. MONON

MONON Member

But Andrew Luck isn't!!?!! :eek::confused:

16. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, I could go on and on with how vastly superior this Texans defense will be over last year. They should make the jump from a middle of the pack D to at least a top 5 D. No longer will you be giving up a 105 yards a game on the ground, and with the depth at DB, The big plays should be all but gone. Just need to get pressure dialed up from someone other than JJ, and you've got a defense that will dominate all year long.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, exactly, which is funny because Andrew Luck had a better season than most on that list.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

19. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Especially like his statement at the bottom depicting how vastly different the age gap actually is.

20. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The Texans 10 man practice squad is set.

Practice Squad

Chandler Worthy - Speed Slot WR that has return ability. Very raw, Lots of potential.

Alan Bonner - Speed WR with return ability as well. Has been injured every year until now. Getting work on the practice squad will really help him.

Kurtis Drummond - Great size for a FS, Not real fast. Needs to work on technique, Should at a minimum turn into a quality backup safety. Has starter potential down the road.

Corey Moore - Big SS and very quick, Explosive to the line of scrimmage, good tackler. Haven't seen enough of him. The team obviously likes him.

Kenny Hilliard - Big power back. Fights for the hard yards. Flashes good hands. Like his versatility.

Max Bollough - 2 down thumping LBer. Lacks the athleticism to cover well, but he's instinctive. Good player to keep around, wouldn't doubt he makes the roster at some point.

Dan Pettinato - Showed some pass rush ability, Has versatility playing DT/DE, Hard worker, with good size. Developmental depth.

Eric Tomlinson - Big TE that's an inline blocker, and holding the edge of the line. Lacks ability to separate and his slow off the line. Has good hands however. Could be someone to develop into a Tackle, IMO.

Karim Barton - Former college tackle switching to guard due to his lack of quickness. Good strong base, very strong, has good hand technique. Needs time to adjust, Good OL project.

Zac Dysert - Good size, arm strength, and pretty accurate. Lacks awareness of pass rush, stares down receivers, looks more for the big play than taking what is given to him. Has times where he makes mental error after error. Good scout team QB to say the least.