1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2014 offseason to-do list

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dont forget about the 2012 Saints. That defense was scary bad.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

You have to start from the top down. McNair's "family" organization vision has been the root of the team's biggest issue: low accountability, no demand for results, contracts rewarding mediocrity.

David Carr extension
    Reluctant to dump Capers
    Slow to dump Richard Smith
    Allowing Frank Bush and David Gibbs to take their jobs with no real interview process and allowing them to stay on so long
    Extending Kubiak
    Allowing Marciano to stay on board
    etc.

A few seasons ago we were at an obvious crossroads, and Wade Phillips was brought in instead of firing Kubiak. Short term shot in the arm, and here we are.

Jamey Rootes is President of Business Operations, Rick Smith is Vice President of Football Operations....Bob McNair (or his son Cal) is our de facto President of Football Operations. Item #1? He needs to fire himself (or Cal) as President.

Kubiak needs to go. His system isn't evolving or keeping up with this era, and the players that made it go are falling like leaves in the northeast. Fine OC, but it's clear he simply isn't going to be a strong head coach on game day. His gameplan rests entirely on executing his standard gameplan and has never demonstrated an ability to gameplan for specific opponents. Works fine against nonelite teams, is a disaster against the elite. He's also gotten gunshy over the years - Kubiak initially was a gutsy cowboy on 4th downs, now you have a guy that won't even attempt a two minute drill at the end of halves and is nearly automatic calling for a run or short pass on 3rd and long.

If you dump Kubiak, you have to either promote Wade Phillips or fire him too. He won't accept being passed over. Given that he's a terrible head coach and that his defensive system is already exposed and struggling, I drop him as well. You have set the stage for an easier transition to a typical 3-4, though you need to still get a real NT, something Wade will never do.

Marciano obviously. And all the other coaches typically go with their bosses.

Don't spare Rick Smith. He hasn't been the biggest problem, he's done what he could to deal with the downstream effects of Casserly's horrible contracts. But his draft in April was rough after day 1 (Swearinger the only other possibly defensible pick...but has to shed the box safety all hit no cover first impression). You can't survive a cap crisis if you fully blow 80% of your selections. Watt was absolutely dynamite, and he's made other good decisions (or pulled the trigger on behalf of someone else's good decision)....but the NFL hard cap demands that you constantly cycle in contributors each draft. The hit rate on DBs in this era has been a ghastly 10%. And ultimately, you have to ask - is Rick Smith a GM to lead your complete overhaul and be your #1 guy in the front office? If not - he has to go too.

With the players, it's not as simple. Have to evaluate each contract and the potential cap hit. But Schaub obviously has to be gone. I have zero confidence in his ever climbing back to previous form, and even that was never elite. Reed has proven he's finished, but that's an easy contract to tear up IIRC.

After that, you've got the ashes. And Watt. And a reasonable trio of receivers to play with. Won't be a rapid fix, but with the right hire, it should happen FAR quicker than it did under Kubiak.

But it all starts with Item #1 - will McNair step back and hand over Football Operations to someone else? Because if he doesn't, there will not be a housecleaning. Just another round of plaster + paint.

2 people like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think you're reading too much into McNair's title. He likely leaves mostly all the football decisions to the brain trust which is kubiak and smith.

Also, Smith doesn't have the power as GM that traditional GMs have. Kubiak has the most say in personnel decisions. Hell, he unilaterally cut those guys today. That was "on him".

If they decide to get rid of the regime, McNair will bring in a consultant to help them hire a new GM who then gets the coach, or they get a combo GM/coach like Kubiak (who decided to bring Smith with him).

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If McNair is the person evaluating Smith and Kubiak and determining if they stay on or not, then no, I'm not.

5. mario_v

mario_v Member

Who is the best run franchise in the NFL? Patriots? Ravens? Whoever it is, grab their assistant G.M.'s/front office people, scouts and their young hotshot coordinators.

Rick Smith is an okay GM, but this past draft was a failure. Yes, he drafted Hopkins, but youre supposed draft starters with your first round pick.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

All the patriots assistants have failed. It looks like it is all Bill or Brady. The Ravens GM is the best in the business. Don't see any of his assistants doing well.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its all Bill.

And guess who trained the Ravens GM (Ozzie Newsome) in how to run a front office?

Bill Belicheck (when he was GM/Coach of the Browns).

In fact, I think Belicheck learned from that experience to continue to really be the GM, but have somebody else with the actual title so that when the team has a lack of talent, or blows its draft picks, or has a bad cap situation, the head coach is somewhat insulated... Kubiak must have learned from that.

8. Summer Song Giver

Great post, Mcnair needs to hand off football operations to a bonafide football mind, someone for the long term; and then let that man handle all of the football related matters.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I hate to say but I think wade does leave after this year he will not be promoted to HC and he will not want to be passed over I think with bum passing and everything wade hangs it up as far as a true 3-4 DT goes Louis nix should be available when we are on the clock and he's a legit 340lb DT on a side note who noticed all the pistol formation and bunch formations and read option plays we where running it looked real nice and our offense wasn't so predictable but who ever is our next HC or OC does need to bring those kind of plays and formations with him somebody who I would like is the saints OC he's worked with brees and Sean Payton and their offense is always top in the league and I think Tate is gone also sorry for the long post just venting

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Belicheck has been living off of past glory. That defense has been bad for over 5 seasons.

Newsome has a keen eye for talent. Best GM in the NFL.

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ya know there is a certain port arthur native that built a dynasty in texas only to have it destroyed by an idiot owner who is now a tv analyst. If he could be persuaded to take over as gm and mcnair gives him full authority things would turn about rather quickly in my opinion.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

For GM, I want whoever is in Baltimore and helping Ozzie Smith look like a damn genius. They haven't missed a draft in like a decade.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you have to presume some linkage between the GM and coach, so when we look at GM's you should think of potential coaches in their coaching tree.

Also, you have to think about personnel if you don't plan on a total teardown/rebuild. I like Lovie Smith as a head coach, but converting from Wade's 3.4 defense to a Tampa 2 system would involve a whole lot of turnover. And as bad as they've been, the offensive line is set up for zone blocking, with a bias to lighter, quicker guys. If you get someone that wants to run a power scheme with 350 pound guards, that is a ton of turnover there, too.

Food for thought:

Some potential NFL GM candidates:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-personnel-men-that-will-be-general-managers

(Lists Assistant GM in Baltimore as Eric DeCosta if you want a name, but it appears he is the "publicly appointed heir" to Newsome, and may not be available)

Some potenial NFL head coaching candidates:

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/10/5/4806350/2014-nfl-head-coaching-candidates-an-early-look

#134 Ottomaton, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jimmy Johnson? He said he was done with coaching or GMing after seeing his health suffer when he took over the Dolphins.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bevelle from Seattle or gase from Denver please

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Why do so many people want to cut Foster? He's looked great this year and is playing his best ball since 2011.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah, just thought he may change his mind. Consultant?

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We already have a consultant.

[​IMG]

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

My two most important credentials: he needs to be progressive; the league is evolving too quickly and I want someone at least on the curve; preferably ahead of it. And he needs to be smart - not just football smart, smart-smart.

My plan A continues to be Oliver Luck.