1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2014 offseason to-do list

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The window is permanently stuck shut with Kubiak at the helm, I'm afraid.

2. Raven

Raven Member

And even that was Fool's Gold because of Foster. It's not difficult to win 10+ games when you have one of the two best RBs in the game.

It's amazing how comically inept the organization is.

Are you paying attention McNair? Clean House!

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So fire him then. IDGAF at this juncture. The point is, Gary's playcalling sucks and his system is outdated and impractical in today's NFL, but he is a good QB coach and we're about to have to start over with a brand new one. So either Kubiak's offensive philosophy needs to change NOW, or he needs to go. He does leave something to be desired from a HC point of view, but he has improved there over the years. I'm guessing a new/rookie HC will probably struggle with those things even worse. If you can avoid starting over completely there, I think you should attempt it.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You're absolutely right...but as of right now, we're 10 years of building for a 2 year window.

And that layers over the context of having the Oilers here before them with all that disappointment.

It's why I laugh when anyone suggests that Houston fans have a sense of "entitlement." I'd just like to see a Super Bowl with a Houston team emerging as the champion once before I die.

5. Two Sandwiches

Kubiak's biggest problem is that he is a man stuck in his ways in an ever-changing game.

Case and point (I think this is my third time posting about this, but I'm not afraid to beat a dead horse) was the fourth quarter yesterday. Three (I think) separate third and longs. Three separate times he knew they were blitzing the house. Not one time did he give his inexperienced quarterback an extra blocker in the backfield to help with the pressure. Who knows if he even tried to coach him up on the sidelines in between each drive? Instead, he just left him out there to get eaten alive, not giving him a chance to get a play off, and then afterwards, gave an, "Aww shucks, they killed us with the pass rush" answer. Utter BS.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don't think you can include the Capers/expansion era.

They completely rebuilt the team starting in 2006. Only player left from before then is Andre.

It's more like 5 years of building, then what should have been a breakthrough year in 2010 had they had a viable defensive scheme (which they also need to change now).

That year (and breaking through in 2011) reset everything in the owners mind... as a sort of course correction... but it looks like this squad has finally run its course.

When teams figure you out, you either have to reinvent yourself... or move on. The Texans have two guys (Kubiak/Wade) who have both shown an inability to reinvent themselves or adjust to their talent (or lack of talent). Both need stacked teams to be able to execute...the opposite of what Belicheck has done.

They really need to get some young up/and coming guys who are hungry enough to try and "outsmart" opponents. Get some guys who truly know how to take away a teams strengths, and exploit their weaknesses.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I absolutely include it. There's been a franchise in our town that built for 10 years under different coaches. I'm not holding Kubiak/Smith accountable for time they weren't here.

I'm just saying that, as a fan, my team built for 10 years to open up a 2 year window that has closed. Certainly possible that they can re-open it at some point, obviously.

And it's not anyone with the Texans fault that they are the second chapter of Houston pro football, and that the setting from the first chapter is pretty dismal. But that's the context nonetheless.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fine.

I'd still separate the two regimes. First one built a team with no window, second one built one with a 2 year window.

Just goes to show you that just because a team exists, even if they've been around for a long time, doesn't automatically grant a city "contender" status after a waiting period. Texans haven't had as much misfortune or as long of a waiting period as the Browns, Bengals, Lions, Redskins, Bills or even the Cowboys ... but they all have the same problem in terms of finding "it" in today's NFL.

Gotta get the right people in charge, mixed in with some luck, and you need to maximize the opportunities when they're available (no "wasted" years as this team did in 2009 and 2010).

That's why I'd favor a complete regime change. Do what the Colts did, who didn't hesitate even though the previous regime developed a 14 year window.

#88 Nick, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Fire Kubes. Give the team to Wade and Keenum.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What has wade done to deserve a promotion?

11. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i would let them do this to end the season but go get sumlin next season..

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Spot on!

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kubiak will make a good OC for a team. Shame it won't be for the Texans. The head coaching shoes are just too big for him to fill.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So much to do, so little time.

Not a cap expert at ALL, but I'd make a spreadsheet of all the player salaries and sort it by largest cap hit to smallest cap hit and start cutting anyone who isn't earning their keep. Lot of names already mentioned in this thread.

Fire all coaches. Wish there was a way to keep Wade as DC while still bringing in a new HC, but I doubt that's possible. Wade doesn't have the players to be successful right now.

Draft a QB and let him battle it out with Keenum during training camp. Winner gets to be the starter.

Go back in time and DON'T sign consultant Reed. What a stupid signing that was.....

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Agreed and with great people in charge you can be like the patriots and the window stays open for years, plug and play.

16. Two Sandwiches

Sumlin and Keenum would be worth trying in my opinion.

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I agree completely. It would be interesting to see. It would all depend on Sumlin though. I am sure he would take the job.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, Sumlin has a great defensive pedigree. If you bring him in, you better have a top notch DC. And you better tell Sumlin he has no say whatsoever in anything having to do with the defense. Like ever.

BTW, welcome back Donny. We knew you couldn't stay away.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No retreads... and I'd actually be in favor of somebody who's not simply an "offensive" or "defensive" guy.

John Harbaugh, Chuck Pagano, even Mike Tomlin (who wasn't a DC for very long) are all not big x's and o's guys... just master motivators who know how to recognize a team's strengths/weaknesses, and that goes towards being able to exploit those on the other team.

They let the offense do their thing... and let the defense do theirs. If neither side works out, you can get rid of a coordinator without having to uproot the entire regime (the main problem right now, here... Kubiak is in charge of the offense, offensive personnel, offensive draft picks, and offensive cuts/free agents/re-signings).

I don't think they'll go college unless McNair brings in a new GM/CEO/Overseer who has a vision that a college coach lines up with.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It'd certainly be an interesting chemistry between Keenum and Sumlin. Yes, they worked well together in the past, but I wonder if Keenum still resents the way Sumlin quit on UH when they were on their way to a BCS game with the A&M job in his back pocket.