1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2013 Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by King of 40 Acres, Apr 16, 2013.

1. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

I was just about to ask about the 5 prime time games....... I saw on tweeter, it had said Houston had 5, but I was only counting 4.

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

In the Chronicles Poll I voted for an 0-16 season. Not sure why that was even an option. Last before the season started everyone said that the schedule would be harder than the year before. Everyone worried about us making the playoffs. Arguably it was an easier schedule for the texans. We will see about this year. Luck could hit the wall as well as Seattle QB. We have to win at least one game against the top dogs.

10-6

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Does hit the wall mean not improve? If so, they're still both damn good as is. I definitely don't see either one having a Josh Freeman year.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Opening on the West coast is a drag, kids (and me) won't be able to stay up.
    I guess I don't mind, I'll DVR it and watch it a 6AM the next morning before I check the score and not have to put up with the endless commercials.
    (cause there's no Red Zone to flip to in prime time)

5. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

This is gonna be a rough season to have Matt Schaub as qb. They should trade out of the first round and pick up some more picks, this team is gonna need as many fresh bodies as possible, hopefully one of those picks is a qb

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Matt Schaub that's 20-8 in his past 28 starts, including a playoff victory? Yeah, how are they *ever* going to overcome that loser?

7. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Go back and watch the playoff game against the patriots, not the regular season game. In fact only watch the first quarter of that game and then tell me that Schaub who's 8 losses in that 20-8 is to teams with better than .500 records (and Oakland). Schaub is good against bad teams and awful against good teams plain and simple. If you didn't take a look at the schedule and say 12-4 at best. What are the four games that you counted as losses? And if you said better that 12 wins you started smoking too early...and you got some good

8. Indaface

Indaface Member

We should expect a minimum of 9 wins honestly. I'm thinking 5-1 in division with completely winnable games vs. St. Louis (never a good road team), Arizona, San Diego and Oakland.

9. Hey Now!

I can play this game, too - go back and watch the Denver game - not the other 17 games last year, or the 27 I referenced; just the Denver game. In fact, just watch the first 3Qs and then tell me that Matt Schaub, who also beat Baltimore, Indianapolis and Cincinnati, can't beat every team ever.

Extrapolating a bad performance - at the expense of a significant sample size (nearly two full seasons, in which Schaub and the Texans have beaten - or played well against - many good teams) is silly.

He had a terrible finish and everyone is right to be concerned. But for those six games to invalidate an otherwise very good career is just crah-zee.

A list of good teams Schaub has not been awful against the past two years: @ New Orleans (QBR: 103.9); Pittsburgh (100.9); @ Denver (115.5); Baltimore (100.7); Indianapolis (109.7). Altogether, in 12 games against playoff teams the past two years, his QBR is 87.6. Below his Texan career average - but decidedly not "awful."

If the final 6 games are a portend of things to come, then yes: the Texans are in trouble. But until we see him pick up where he unfortunately left off, I think we're getting waaaaaaaaaay too far ahead of ourselves to assume he's going to be an issue that costs us games.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I see a high of 12 wins and a low of 9. 11-5 or 10-6 most likely. I'll go with 11-5.

11. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

I don't give a **** about a ****ing qb rating, a good quarterback puts his team in position to win games. You have maybe three or four games you could use as examples for why you think Schaub is elite. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Eli Manning have seasons worth of material that make them elite. I don't care about the two games Schaub looked good, every loser gets a piece of ass every now and then, I care about the games he lost due to his inconsistency, inaccuracy, poor redzone execution and noodle arm. Picking one good game against Denver is the perfect example of why Schaub is not elite Tom Brady and Peyton Manning kicked ass all season long, its when you can pick out the bad games that how you know you're elite. Brady played like sh** vs Seatle and San Fran, Brees was awesome all year on a sh** team. Peyton Manning couldn't even stand up straight or hold the ball tight and he sliced and diced defenses all year. Thats elite. Matt Schaub had a high passer rating against the Broncos and Ravens= stats are for losers. And since you are a loser I'll give you some stats:
    In the 2012 NFL season Matthew Rutledge Schaub threw 628 passes in the redzone, completing 345 garnering 17 tds and 12 int. With a QBR of 86.8. In Contrast Thomas Patrick Edward Brady threw 615 passes in the redzone, completing 380 garnering 32 tds and 10 int. With a QBR of 93.8. And he ran in 2 tds Schaub had none. That friend is accuracy, thats elite. After that New England playoff game I will continue to beat the drum til Schaub is replaced and I will watch every game but we all know everyone in the league will be paying attentions to the games against Baltimore, Seattle, San Fran, New England and Denver because we all know that Schaub will fail in those big spotlights. The team is stuck with him so I hope he can at least be average but I'm a realist and I know what I saw against Green Bay, Indy, New England, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Tennessee, hell he even played poorly against Miami and of course the infamous playoff game

12. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

11-5: L= Baltimore, San Fran, Seattle, New England, Denver. Five games Schaub will **** up

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

damn, so the gold standard is a perfect season? he had his troubles even against weaker opponents last year, but he certainly didn't **** up against Denver and Baltimore last year.

14. 713

713 Member

Don't worry guys Matt Schaub will lead us to the Superbowl.

15. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

If Schaub wins three out of the five big games, I'll lay off him a little but I doubt it, I know we won't have a perfect season but why did everyone pencil in those games as losses? Schaub

16. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

If not, he can certainly lead us to the toilet bowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

he could win 3 of those 5 (i'm doubtful too, 2 is more like it) and **** the bed on 3 of other 11 games. he's just going have to step it up come playoff time.

a large part of making predictions is picking losses against good teams. i'm sure some broncos and ravens fans are predicting losses against us.

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Me too. I'm thinking 10-6.

19. Hey Now!

(sigh…) He’s not elite, and I never said he was in this discussion. His performance down the stretch last year was dreadful. Having said that… I don’t think it’s fair to let six games to define a player with 80-something career starts. I’m willing to give him a chance to redeem himself.

While I understand the hand-wringing, he’s been a very good QB – at times, an elite-level QB - for many, many years – this idea that a team that's 20-8 in his last 28 starts is going to suddenly have a "rough year" demonstrates, quite frankly, a full-blown disconnect with reality.

That's very convenient and typical - "I only care about the games where he plays poorly because it supports my opinion!!" It always amazes me how few of the games where he plays well seem to count in these discussions.

He had a great game at home against the Colts and they beat Cincinnati in spite of a rather pedestrian performance from him; otherwise, I termed his finish "terrible." But beyond those four games, name the ones the team lost because of Schaub's "inconsistency, inaccuracy, poor redzone execution and noodle arm." Keep in mind, you only have four to choose from these past two years.

Well, yeah - Manning was great, except for when he wasn't as great as Schaub and lost to him. BTW... since stats are for losers - what are you basing the fact they kicked ass all season long on?

Schaub played well in those two games; the Texans won both rather handily. And those two ideas apparently have no connection to one another? Got it.

Again, it’s not obvious to you that you seem to conveniently have excuses for his good performances and none for his bad?

I can see why you think stats are losers – they’re apparently WAY over your head. I have no idea where you pulled these numbers from (well, that’s not true – I have a pretty good idea), but your first clue should have been that Schaub only threw 544 *total* passes last year.

In the red zone, he was 42/72 for 229 yards, 25 TDs; 1 INT with a QBR of 97.7. Brady’s RZ QBR last year? 99.0.

So, yeah…

This is the third time you’ve used the term “elite;” you’ve spent the rest of your post comparing Schaub to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Eli Manning. You’re having an argument with yourself. I didn’t term him elite in this discussion; I’ve never said he was as good as those players (except for Eli). He had a stretch where he was as good… but he couldn’t sustain it, and I’ve been as quick to point it out as his harshest critics (which is why I wouldn't put him ahead of Eli now).

You said it’ll be a “rough year” with Schaub at QB. Even if you’re 100% right – that Schaub is “good against bad teams and awful against good teams plain and simple.” – they play 11 games against teams that finished behind the Texans last year - so what are you ranting and raving about? They should go 11-5.

Tennessee and Jacksonville??? He was a combined 110/153 (77%) for 1,131 yards; 9 TDs, 2 INTs against those teams. They won the 4 games by a combined score of 132-68. He set a team-record, and chased an NFL record for passing yards in one of those games.

So not only are you using the tried and true trick of narrowing your discussion down to *only* games that fit your conclusion, you don’t even know what games those are! Tennessee and Jacksonville, huh?.... Jeez louise.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I will defer any W/L predictions until after the draft, and probably until we've gone through some camp. As it is, we've got too many positions that are a ?

NT

TE-2

WR-2

ILB

reserve secondary

I haven't been and won't be shy about the subject: if Earl Mitchell is not beaten out as starting nose, we're not going anywhere. 9-10 wins and done before mid-January.

Have a good draft and make a couple key signings and we could take a really nice shot at the AFC crown.