1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2012 NFL Draft Grade?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cloudng8, Apr 28, 2012.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I always find it funny when someone points to the starting QB and claims that the team is doomed if he gets injured.

What happens to the Packers when Rodgers goes down, now that they dont have Flynn?

What happens to the Patriots if Brady goes down?

What happens to any team when their starter goes down?

They all become significantly worse off...its not just the Texans. At least, Houston has a backup QB that has won a playoff game. Not many other teams can boast that.

Also, that Yahoo writer is an idiot. Unreal.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

2010 Draft-

1 Kareem Jackson CB Alabama SEC
    2 Ben Tate RB Auburn SEC
    3 Earl Mitchell DT Arizona Pac-10
    4 Garrett Graham TE Wisconsin Big Ten
    4 Darryl Sharpton LB Miami (FL) ACC
    5 Sherrick McManis CB Northwestern Big Ten
    6 Shelley Smith G Colorado State MWC
    6 Trindon Holliday KR LSU SEC
    7 Dorin Dickerson TE Pittsburgh Big East

2011 Draft -
    1 J. J. Watt DE Wisconsin Big Ten
    2 Brooks Reed DE Arizona Pac-10
    2 Brandon Harris CB Miami (FL) ACC
    4 R. Carmichael CB Virginia Tech ACC
    5 Shiloh Keo S Idaho WAC
    5 T. J. Yates QB North Carolina ACC
    7 Derek Newton OT Arkansas State Sun Belt
    7 Cheta Ozougwu DE Rice C-USA

For 2010 we got a 1 starter and Tate, Mitchell, Sharpton are very good depth. Graham hasn't done anything and Holliday and Dickerson are gone.

For 2011 we got 2 starters and possible future all pro in Watt. Yates was up and down last year but a serviceable backup. Harris, Carmichael, Keo did nothing. I expected more from Harris and Carmicheal, maybe this is the year.

So based on last 2 years if we get 1.5 to 2.5 starters, 2012 will be a great draft. A starter from the OL and WR group would be nice with mercilus and the kicker having a huge role.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

* - the organization is high on Newton and have him penciled in as backup tackle going into this year.

Harris or Carmichael may bounce back and stick as backups in the secondary. But the jury's out on their prospects.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they didn't have money to sign a "lock" for the #2 spot, simple as that. It would have been nice but it's a numbers game and the texans didn't/don't have the numbers to spend that money on a WR.

They spend mid round picks on 2 WRs and are bringing in another guy what could have been a 3rd or 4th rounder had it not been for some questionable personal decisions.

It's not an ideal situation by any means, but if one of the young WRs can stick, then they did a good job while still their hands tied

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mel Kiper:

Houston Texans

Top needs: WR, LB, G/T, CB, NT

Needs: C+
    Value: B+
    Overall: B

Summary: I had Whitney Mercilus as a good fit at defensive end as high as No. 19 with the Bears, so he's a pretty good value at No. 26. He isn't Mario Williams, but the defense made a huge leap in 2011, and the Texans clearly want to make sure Wade Phillips has the tools he needs. He's not a great value at No. 68 overall, but I'm intrigued by the DeVier Posey pick. He had to sit out so many games last year I don't think scouts saw enough of him. He has really good hands, can create some matchup problems, and might be a little underrated in his ability to stretch the field. I also really like Keshawn Martin. He creates space and should stick with this team. Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks help the interior of that offensive line. I was surprised the Texans didn't get a linebacker. At one time I saw Jared Crick as a second-rounder. If he regains form, that's a good value in the fourth.

RoundPickPositionPlayerCollege
    (1) 26 DE Whitney Mercilus Illinois
    (3) 68 WR DeVier Posey Ohio State
    (3) 76 G Brandon Brooks Miami (OH)
    (4) 99 C Ben Jones Georgia
    (4) 121 WR Keshawn Martin Michigan State
    (4) 126 DT Jared Crick Nebraska
    (5) 161 K Randy Bullock Texas A&M
    (6) 195 T Nick Mondek Purdue

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf..._=mel-kiper-gives-grades-every-nfl-team-draft

1 person likes this.
  6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Does Kiper realize that the Texans 1st Rounder is going to play linebacker?

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

or that we signed bradie james

8. 713

713 Member

Mel Kiper should just take his ball and go home.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Draft grades are a maddeningly ridiculous spectacle.

Aside from the inherent silliness of grading it before a down is played - it's funny how whenever a school gets a "name" player, usually from a big school, that was projected 1st rounder or so in the later rounds, they automatically get a high draft grade. And one that picks guys from obscurity get low ones.

Yet, years later, when they talk about drafting acumen, plucking guys out of nowhere that were off others' radar screens is a criteria for success.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Innes is slamming the Posey pick. I like his potential.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can understand being skeptical of the Posey pick, but to slam it? I basically call it a total mystery.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sharpton probably is a starter this year. Graham has done enough in practice to keep Texans from drafting another TE. I think the 2010 draft is looking very good.:grin:

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

well, every team is replacing depth and some teams are replacing starters with unproven rookies, even the colts are going to be with an unproven in the NFL player, they had great college careers, but you dont know how they will response.

also on 2010 the texans were the worst defense, and nobody thought that with a new coach bringing a new system without a full offseason, two rookies (and a lot of the people questioned the Watt selection) one CB (Joseph) and a safety (D. Manning), the texans would have one of the top 3 defenses in the league.

also if Stafford (had a lot of injuries before) and Calvin Johnson gets injured (madden cover curse) the lions are going to be awful, so the detroit fans should start praying too.

and just because a team doesnt pick a big name, doesnt mean that player sucks, there has been a lot of draft steals, that dropped in the NFL draft, but now are huge stars.