1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans 2012 NFL Draft Grade?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cloudng8, Apr 28, 2012.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Darrell Jackson had a solid career. Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem are good 2 and 3 receivers. Sidney Rice has not been a bust. LaFell has gotten better his first 2 years and will be a solid 2nd receiver. You forgot Randall Cobb and Julio Jones who look like they are going be good players.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I left off people who were drafted too recently to judge.

Rice has had injury problems, but it doesn't look like he's going to live up to his billing.

Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem were the 50th and 27th overall picks in their drafts, not producing anywhere near their expectations.

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Wade Phillips' Twitter:

Classic.
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the offseason hasnt ended, we still have almost 2.5 months before training camps.

and re-signing foster and myers is not bad at all.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So can well all just accept that this team hasn't gotten any better from last season? Especially after this draft. Guess I have to pray hard that Matt Schaub will be an Iron Man.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Were you expecting them to draft somebody that would come in and start, let alone be a significant improvement over whoever was there before them?

Considering the amount of injuries last year, just staying healthy will be a considerable upgrade in team performance.

And if Matt falls apart, TJ should be better, considering he finally has a full offseason to work with Kubes.

Look at the 2-deep roster, are you really that worried about anybody's health or performance except for Matt?

7. Pete the Cheat

if we are going to acheive anything of significance Schaub is going to have to stay healthy, period.

it's undeniable this offseason went laterally (at best), but any time you bring in a new crop of players it's impossible to gauge what kind of impact they will have until they step out on the field

need I remind you how cushing burst on to the scene in his rookie year

bottom line is we are still the best team in our division, so you see where the chips fall in the playoffs

8. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

repped, again.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

The talent they lost to free agency and money saving moves impacts the team as much as last season's injuries.

They've replaced good depth with unproven, fresh rookies. I don't consider that depth beyond another body to throw out on the field.

I didn't expect them to do much but I did expect them to find a playmaker at WR because the glaring hole will be even more exposed now that opposing teams know how important that is.

The team made a nice run but is now poised for a drop if 2 players get hurt:
    Schaub or Andre. Pray hard folks.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B+ or A-

They addressed things they needed too.

Added depth at OLB, D line and O-line.

With the WRs they took, at least one should stick.

Added the best kicker in the draft.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Watt was an unproven, fresh rookie. So was Reed. I'd say they were more than a body thrown out there. And I'd rather replace depth with rookies than starters with rookies. What were the rookies supposed to be? Practice squad?

The Texans didn't go into the draft needing new starters, they needed quality depth and bench contributors, and they came away with 8+ guys at 8+ positions. That's impressive.

How do you know they didn't find a playmaker at WR? Is that because they didn't draft the guy you wanted them to? We've got multiple candidates to step in and show what they can do:
    Posey, Martin, Jones, plus two more undrafted guys and the return of LeStar Jean. It's difficult to not believe we're upgrading from the 0 that was Jacoby Jones. And making a move to replace that zero was a crucial first step.

We've got the same attacking front 5 as last year, jelled, and adding Mercilus and Crick to give guys more of a rotation and breather than they had a year ago. That's should be big late in games.

How many teams don't have to pray their starting QB stays upright? You think NO or NE are any different? Yates will have his first real camp this year, got unexpected experience, and hopefully will never face the pressure of trying to bring the team back from a deficit with only Jacoby and Walter as his options downfield.

Yes, Winston and Brisiel are gone. But Winston was not kicking butt last year - he got depantsed in more than a couple of games (embarrassingly in IND). Caldwell is a downgrade at G, but Brooks looks like a nice option behind him, and it's already being suggested that he might compete for the starting job. The team is very high on Butler and Newton at right tackle, and demonstrated that confidence in the draft - passing on Messie and other OT options.

I have concerns myself (TE, FB), but it's an overreaction to think that the team is stumbling backwards.

12. Aydge

Aydge Member

B+

I have all the confidence in the world in Wade drafting DL and LB and Kubes drafting OL.

We drafted all our needs, I just don't agree with the WR picks.

Randle >>> Posey

Chris Rainey >>> Keyshawn Martin

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Gaffney, Meachem, Rice & Doucet have had decent careers. Rice would possibly be a star if the injuries hadn't held him back. Curious also to how that would mathcup against other conferences.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's the biggest thing for me. It's hard not to have confidence when it comes to those guys drafting at those positions.

We will just have to wait to see how the WRs pan out.

15. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

I honestly don't see how anyone could be anything but optimistic after that draft.

16. chestr

chestr Member

This is the analysis from Yahoo sports-writer Jason Cole

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2...-marks.html;_ylt=AoIuQkdCXmk1F7fSGfgDK6c5nYcB

He's obviously uninformed thinking we could've kept Mario after resigning Arian. What a moron

17. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I see that Reeko is back to bashing management again. Some things don't change around here :grin:

19. REEKO_HTOWN

Not bashing as much as questioning one decision. Not getting a real #2 WR. That's my only real problem this season. It's one position that is an obvious need and well, it's been completely ignored; at least for this season because no one expects any of these rookies to fill that role this season.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Werd to your mother. Very stout post.

This year's draft looks a lot like last year's draft. This is not a flashy team; never has been. But with Phillips it, AT F'ING LAST (!!), has a defensive philosophy: motors. They get guys who freaking do not quit. Watt, Reed, Mercilus and Crick all have that. We're even seeing it seep into their thinking offensively (Jones fits the mold).

Anyone not thrilled with this draft, at least on paper, should forever have their opinions marked as being irrelevant: they obviously know nothing. If, picking at 26, you land 3-4 rotation contributors in a draft to a join 10-6 team one Linsfrac injury away from a viable Super Bowl... I can't fathom what there is to complain about.