1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans (0-2) @ Chiefs (0-2)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

12:00 on CBS.

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Priest may sit Sunday (You need to register to view the article)

Vermeil says ankle injury ‘not serious'
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

Intrigue again surrounds an injured Priest Holmes.

Coach Dick Vermeil indicated that Holmes, the Chiefs' leading rusher, may not play in Sunday's game against Houston at Arrowhead Stadium because of what he called a sprained left ankle.

But Vermeil, as he was in the moments after Sunday's 28-17 loss to Carolina, was fuzzy on the reason Holmes didn't play after being injured midway through the fourth quarter.

“We just left him out because it's the kind of stuff we were doing that (backup) Derrick Blaylock can do and do well,” said Vermeil, who became irritated when he was further pressed on the issue.

“We didn't want him in the game. Is that a good enough answer? It had nothing to do with his injury. … The only thing I can tell you is the truth. That's why he wasn't in the game. The situation in a game like that, down by 11, we just left him out of there.”

Holmes went down awkwardly after being tackled with about 8 1/2 minutes remaining and the Chiefs trailing. He left the game and didn't return. Holmes initially stood along the sideline with his helmet on, an indication he was prepared to return to the game, but he later took it off.

Holmes was at Arrowhead Stadium on Monday for meetings but was unavailable to talk about the injury. Asked after the game, Holmes said he had no injury and referred to Vermeil questions about his absence from the lineup.

Vermeil said the Chiefs were unaware until Monday morning of the injury to Holmes. Vermeil said that after Holmes was injured, he asked Holmes whether he was OK because of the awkwardness of the play and was told everything was fine.

That being the case, it would be exceedingly odd that Holmes wasn't in the game. The Chiefs have rallied under similar circumstances late in several games in recent seasons, and Holmes always has played a key role.

Vermeil also indicated Holmes has some soreness in his left knee but the ankle was the main concern.

“It's slight sprain, slight swelling, nothing to do with a high ankle sprain or anything like that,” Vermeil said. “I know it's not a serious ankle sprain. I don't know if he's had one before or how long it takes him to recover. Every guy is a little bit different, and every ankle is a little bit different.

“We're prepared to go without him if he can't go. Obviously we want him to be ready. It's not serious. It's just how quickly he can mend.”

Blaylock would be the starter and the featured halfback against the Texans if Holmes isn't ready to go. Vermeil said it was possible Holmes wouldn't practice this week and still play against the Texans.............The Chiefs may be without another starter against Houston. Wide receiver Eddie Kennison strained a leg muscle against Carolina...

Hopefully no turn overs.

3. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Davis needs to have his hands doused with stick'um. I was up from Houston in Ft.Worth during the game with my girl--a rabid Cowboy fan no less--and got some serious grief about the stone hands of Davis recently.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how many points were scored in the last two games off of his 4 fumbles?

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Obviously, too much. I love Double D but he let the team down and is a BIG reason the Texans are 0-2. You can't turn the ball over like that.

All I know is, no one expected either of these teams to be 0-2. There is no excuse for it, I can't believe both are winless now. Everyone expects the Texans to lose this one but it's gonna be bad regardless for the team that loses this game. The loser being 0-3 is unexcuseable.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Its gonna be a long day for the defense but I think this will be a shootout

Chiefs 38
    Texans 31

Holmes (if healthy) 140yds 3td
    Green 300+yds 1td 2Ints
    Hall 98yd KO Ret Td X-Factor

Carr 300+yds 3 tds 4 sacks
    Davis 130yds 1td 3 fumbles
    Johnson 100+yds 2tds

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

K.C. 31 - 10

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I hope Holmes isn't out. He's on my Fantasy Football league.

But I think the Texans are going to get blown out in this one.

Chiefs 38
    Texans 20

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Texans 27 Chiefs 21

9. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Chiefs 24
    Texans 13

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Chiefs 38
    Texans 17

Our offense is going to give up another 3 TOs and make their D look halfway decent.

11. rememberPete

rememberPete Contributing Member

Anyone going to the game on Sunday? I'm new to KC and couldn't find anyone to go with/ tailgate/ share parking costs. Not to mention I don't want to find myself alone, in a dark alleyway with the #8 on my back...

12. Truth

Truth Member

Not only are the Texans going to win, (BARRING FUMBLES), but I feel that they will win in comfortable fashion. Thus, sending KC into a further tailspin that they will not recover from.

Texans 35
    Chiefs 24

I believe the Texans throw caution to the wind dramatically open up the offense, especially against this notoriously horrible D. Maybe some 4 wide, reverses, flea flickers, I want to see it all. They make it a TOP PRIORITY to go to Andre and throw to him atleast 12 times.

The Good Guys
    David Carr - 27/34 - 364 yds, 3 TD's, 1 - INT
    Domanick Davis - 23 rushes, 132 yds, 2 TD's
    Andre Johnson - 10 catches, 118 yds, 2 TD's

The Bad Guys
    Trent Green - 21/38 - 232 yds, 2 TD's
    Derrick Blaylock - 18 carries, 73 yds
    Dante Hall - KR Touchdown
    Tony Gonzalez - 9 receptions, 68 yds.

13. synergy

synergy Member

Too bad I got knocked out of the NFL Suicide League.

Chefs-21
    Texans-10

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Even with PH out, we'll still lose...Prediction, Carr will throw at least 1 int. and DD will fumble at least once...

Chiefs: 17

Texans: 10

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Everytime I hear about the chiefs, I want to play in my mind the Snickers' "Not going anywhere for a while?" commercial about the guy who misses the I on the endzone paint . "Yeah... but... who are the 'Chefs'...?"

Texans 999
    Chefs 0

OK, but seriously, folks (where are you Another?)...
    Texans 26
    Chefs 13

GO TEXANS!!!!!

16. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

If Holmes plays

Chiefs 32
    Texans 24

If Holmes sits

Chiefs 10
    Texans 28

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

F**k it, Texans in a blowout. We finally win the turnover battle and DD begins his probowl journey.

Texans 30
    Chiefs 10

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

bet the over in this one...

Texans 38
    Chiefs 31

19. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Texans - 27
    Chiefs - 24

Carr 22-28 276 yds 2 td 1 int
    Davis 24 carries 136 yds 1 td, 8 rec 78 yds
    Johnson 8 rec 103 yds 1 td

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I saw on the KC board a couple of days ago that Dante Hall spotted a flaw in the Texans Special Teams Coverage so expect him to have a big time game.