1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans (0-1) @ Lions(1-0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 14, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nothing else matters if you don't do this one thing.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you're a UT fan it's not hard to judge - just blame the OC.

3. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Beacause the cover 2 provides good coverage on those routes. The best way to exploit the 2 deep safeties is working the seams. I knew Palmer was in trouble when the first two slant routes he called (the first two passes thrown) were busted up and the second nearly intercepted. Palmer is terrible, zero creativity.

Whoever here has a chance to go to a Texans' game they should bring a sign the reads, "Fire Palmer" or start a chant of the same manner. Someone needs to let it be known that we Texans fans shouldn't have to put up with this. If I get a chance to come to Houston and go to a game I will most assuredly make this happen.

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

[wrong answer buzzer sounds]"Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn" [/wrong answer buzzer sounds]

Palmer calls the plays on offense. Capers makes the yes or no calls, i.e. 4th and goal type situations, challanges, timeouts. You don't see Capers on the sideline with a playsheet; all the calls come from the booth.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe they are calling conservative plays because Domanick Davis is a much better option than David Carr. Can David Carr really succeed when we are throwing almost every down? He is not Peyton Manning.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

He doesn't have to throw on every down, however Davis shouldn't be getting 30 plus carries a game coupled with having the team lead in receptions. We've got some weapons on the outside, Carr can make the throws. He's not going to take the next step if he keeps throwing the screen pass.

I still think it'll make things easier on Carr once we can really establish a pass block, which is yet to be seen.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd give serious consideration to hiring Jim Johnson, the Eagles defensive co-ordinator, as head coach if the season continues the way it's going. I've always liked his defensive scheme and he has good head coach tutelege.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

is he really? do we know that yet?

running backs are always safer options...or at least usually they are. at this point, i'd say 4 fumbles in two games hardly qualifies you as the best option. if you rush for over 100 yards but still end up turning the ball over twice a game...well...sorry, but that's not good enough. the two need to be used in a way that has them building upon each other's strengths. this shouldn't be a carr vs. davis discussion. davis is an excellent back, when he protects the football. when pressed to throw the ball last week, carr made plays. when they opened up the offense in the 2nd half...carr made plays.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Point well taken BUT Carr should now be mature enough to be given a more aggressive gameplan. They can run the ball well enough provided DD doesn't fumble and this appears to bring the defense up to the line of scrimmage. But they just keep banging away with the run and don't start exploiting the holes created by the run in the defense until it's too late. They then become predictable on offense - only throwing on obvious passing downs. That's what I find to be extremely frustrating to watch. On Sunday, Detroit gave Harrington a much more aggressive gameplan and he delivered. Carr can do the same if only given the opportunity.

10. Summer Song Giver

Hell, Carson Palmer is already using a more aggresive gameplan and these are his first games. The only thing I can draw from these first two games is that the coaching staff know they are either weak on the O-line and don't want to expose Carr to another huge sack year or Carr has not progressed to the point where he can handle anymore than they are giving him now. If neither of these two things are true then the coaching staff has no excuse for running an offense than you could basically see at any Friday night high school football game.