1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans (0-1) @ Lions(1-0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 14, 2004.

1. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Yea, I didn't mean to take all that out on Palmer, some of that falls on Carr's shoulders as well.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No, the problem is the offense. More specifically, the offensive coaching staff and Dominic Davis' hands. Detroit scored off of both of those fumbles. I really wish Hollings was available today so we could've afforded to yank Davis.

As for the offensive playcalling, I think Chris Palmer is on crack. Absolutely no variety, especially in the first half.

RUN RUN PASS
    RUN RUN PASS
    RUN RUN PASS
    RUN RUN PASS

...that is all we did the first half. It was working well early, but when the offense gets that predictable anyone can stop it. I realize this can set up the play-action, but they really didn't use it. I honestly think the coaches lost this game for them.

All of that I can tolerate, but one thing is I just don't understand. Why are we not using the BEST PLAYMAKER on the team? <b>Throw the ****ing ball to Andre Johnson!</b> The guy is as good as any wide receiver in the league. Also, air it out to Bradford on a couple of flies. Let David Carr use his arm!

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You guys are just wrong. Carr has thrown for the most yards of any quarterback today. The offense is fine, the playcalling is fine. Palmer doesn't coach these guys to make turnovers and turnovers are the main reasons for the two losses.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What about Capers inspires you? Or makes you like him? He's not in the lower half of the league in terms of coaching, but he isn't in the upper half. Why settle for middle of the road?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When the defense gives up drives of 60 and 70 yards to the Detroit freaking Lions... I don't care if they got the ball due to a turnover... its a big big PROBLEM.

The offense isn't the best in the world, nor is it supposed to be. With the players they have, and their experience, they're actually performing right around, or above, expectations (just look at Carr and DD as awesome fantasy players... they were never close to being that last year). They weren't anywhere close to being good enough to win today, but they weren't the main reason why they didn't win either.

Its the defense that has actually performed nowhere near expectations (and, ask any expert... listen to any call-in show... listen to Capers himself, and they'll all agree with this).

Last year, the "excuse" was that most of their defensive guys were injured (which was true). This year, you have a healthy Glen, a healthy Walker, your best CB last year becomes your safety (an easier position), and two new first round draft picks in Babin and Robinson.... and they're playing the worst defense in franchise history.

I don't care what the philosophy is... whether it be 3-4, 4-3, 46, cover-2... you can't win games if you don't stop people. Both the Chargers and the Lions looked pretty bad in their games that they didn't play the Texans... but against Houston, they've looked like offensive juggernauts.

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

He's a good coach and a good teacher for the young men on our team. I also like some of the gutsy calls he makes. I just don't like the 34 defense. Nor do I like the uncreative playcalling of Chris Palmer. In both games, moreso in week one, when the defense didn't appear to hold their own, Palmer hasn't called the plays on offense to give them a chance to win despite the defensive ineffectiveness.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The Texans are now on the clock. Man its gonna be a long season.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why was there only a few bombs to the receivers? Was there really that great of coverage against Andre, Gaff, and Bradford? And that O-line is pathetic. What are we going to do?

9. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

Thats what bothers me so much. You have to put pressure on the Lion's 2ndary with their injuries and all. Andre should have had some big yardage and a couple TDs today. Gaffney and Bradford are no slouches either. We have a wonderful trio of recievers (quartet with Armstrong) and a qb with a strong arm. Why not utilize these traits. Hell, if our D sucks so much, at least try to outgun the other team. But I guess thats why I'm not a coach.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. And unfortunately, I think most of the defensive woes fall on the secondary. Giving up career days to Antonio Gates and allowing Roy Williams, as good as he is, to hurt you when he was the only really dangerous WR the Lions had is terrible. We did a decent job stopping the run, if not for an occasional lapse (but usually only accounted for 10-14 yards or so), but the frequent blown coverages in the secondary are getting really, REALLY annoying. I am not too good at analyzing how a play sets up, so I couldn't tell you who is largely at fault for most of it, but there is no reason for our secondary to be this bad, and it is.

I'll say it again, *Urge to kill....rising*

Who is the defensive coordinator? Shouldn't he be getting just as much flak as Palmer at this junction in the season?

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

For now it's looking more like a gimmick to try to cover up their weakness on the OL - one that's not working very well at all.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I believe it's Vic Fangio. But, I'm pretty sure Capers makes the ultimate defensive decisions, since he is a "defensive-minded" coach.

I still think a lot of our problems will be solved by getting Andre Johnson more touches. That means about 15, 20 carries max for DD...that way he won't wear down and hopefully won't be as prone to fumbling in the second half inside the red zone. When they start closing in on Andre, let Bradford fly or have DD out in the flats.

The bottom line is the defense IS NOT why we lost both of these first two games. Had the offense not turned it over and set up the other team for relatively easy scores (and given up momentum), we'd probably be 2-0 right now. In my mind the Lions only earned 14 of their 28 points.

Next week...if Andre doesn't see at least 10 passes his way against that KC defense Palmer should be hit in the face.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Pathetic...I can't believe DD was still in there after totally sucking and losing the rock...

Well, it looks like it'll be another long season...to me, it seems like we were a better team last year...

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes it is.

Two of the turnovers in the first two games resulted in the opposing team getting the ball deep in their own territory... defense is there to stop that.

The momentum shift theory is fine... but then, how come the defense allows that final drive yesterday? Technically, the offense gave you momentum following the Bradford TD. And last week, the offense gave you momentum as well following the final Davis TD.

If you're going to use momentum arguments, at least be consistent with them. If offensive turnovers can take away momentum, surely offensive TD's can get it back right?... no, not with this defense.

The Lions earned all their TD's yesterday because they came off long drives from deep in their own territory.

The bottom line IS... the defense has yet to get a stop when they absolutely need it. Everybody likes offense, and its getting a ton of the blame... but, we could have had the best offense in the world these first two weeks... and we'd still be giving up long-ass drives to mediocre offensive teams.

Defense is there to set the tone... it requires less "coordination", less "execution", and its the only side where one guy can almost single handedly change everything (see Ray Lewis and Champ Baily).

The offense CAN be better... but honestly, in looking at their #'s... they have been good enough to win these first two games. Everybody here is blaming them for not setting the tone, but I say again... offense normally does not do that (unless you're the Colts).

Wait till next week... when we actually have to face a GOOD offensive team... I'm already shuddering at the prospect.

#214 Nick, Sep 20, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The (lame) answer to the question "why don't we throw the ball downfield?" is always the same. "Well, they were playing a cover-2 and dropping both safeties back." :rolleyes:

You would think the Texans are the ONLY team in the league that faces a cover-2. Other teams aren't completely *mystified* by it like we seem to be. If the safeties are dropping back and taking away the long ball, why don't we:

-run some crossing routes underneath?
    -run some out-routes?
    -run some quick hitting slants?
    -throw to the TE and let those safeties try and tackle him in the open field?

Just because we're playing against the vaunted cover-2 doesn't mean we have to throw screens to DD all day long. We were playing right into the lions hands.

And don't get me started on the the 3-4 defense......

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind that it is ultimately up to Carr if he throws a pass to a wide receiver. How do we know there weren't 10 plays called against Detroit where Andre was the primary receiver, and David just checked off to Davis just up the field? I have a feeling this is happening more than we know. Part of the blame there is the O-line isn't giving David quite enough time to cash in on some of these long routes that I hope they have Johnson running, and part of it is David seems a bit too quick to check down to the short pass. But I can't really say...that's the kind of thing that is REALLY hard to judge unless you have the official game tape and can see how wide open Andre was on each called pass play.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Davis and Carr both need to be benched a little, or this losing streak is just going to get worse. Neither is functioning up to their talent level, and the blame is squarely on their heads.

18. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I feel that Capers is handcuffing the offense with conservative play on the offense. The only time things got opened up was in the 2nd half when we were down big. So why not actually open up the playbook early in the game is my question? Predictable "Run-Run-Pass-Punt" gets old after a few series. Many are blaming Palmer, but it is Dom's team. Dom is conservative, Palmer is not, you do the math on who is pulling the strings with that.

But in the first half against Detroit, it just seemed the entire team was unprepared and not ready to play. The defense seemed not ready to play especially. I think we are in for a long, long season where we could go 2-14

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

We're not getting enough pass protection. The rushing looks good, when DD holds on to the ball.

I'll be happy when our secondary get's better. We just don't appear to be in sync.

At least the TE didn't exploit us this week.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i have defended the play calling the last couple of years. but yesterday, i thought it was awful...in the first half. when they opened things up in the 2nd half, they looked like an entirely different team.

i believe in being committed to the run. but sometimes you have to stretch the defense out a bit and throw longer than a 5 yard screen.

and you gotta hold on to the football.