1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terry Puhl

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Number 12

Art Howe. Lanier had a very good year, but then 2 below average years. The closest Howe got the team to first place was 6 games behind and third place.We did not have much success with him. In 1980 we played a one game playoff and Howe was a player, had 4 rbi's in that game with a homer. Second player to manage the Astros. His record was below .500.

Number 13 is Terry Collins. I always like him. He finished second for 3 straight year, after 5 years of mediocre play. He managed in Japan, and also managed the Chinese National team Sorry Beard, i know you don't like me talking about other nationalities, sorry. percentage of winning record, .532

Number 14

I really liked Collins, and if it was not because Dierker did so good, it would had looked as a bad move by the Astros. Dierker came, and conquered. Third former player that managed the astros and finished first for 3 straight years. Won 102 games (first) and has best winning percentage of Astros manager by far with a .553 record. Was manager of the year, second to do it in our history. He became the 8th manager to led his team to a division as a rookie We all know is first astros pitcher to win 20 games, and what i remember of him as a manager is that he left the starter to pitch long. We all remember he missed some games in 1999 because of seizure.
    I really liked him, his style, a very smart and witty person. So far, Virdon, Collins and Dierker are our best managers, and of course, Durocher who is a Hall of Fame manager.

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Number 15 was a very good manager, and controversial, Jimmy Williams. Much was expected from him and could never win a division with us, but came close in 2003, only 1 game. How good he is as a manager? All teams he has managed has gone to the World Series within 4 years of his firing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.