1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Newman?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by randerson153, Mar 13, 2012.

1. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Just got released, do you take a chance on him for #2 cb or nickel cb? No link yet, saw via twitter.

2. astrocketexan

astrocketexan Member

That would have to be on the CHEAP. But with all the other factors up in the air I highly doubt we take a chance on a 33 year old CB who can't cover in man anymore. Especially for the price he probably thinks he's worth.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like Dallas always had a love/hate relationship with Newman. I remember he was a semi-high draft pick that royally sucked (like Kareem Jackson suck) his first year. Then a couple years later he was great and everyone was happy. Then he regressed and is regularly getting burned again. Not sure what that means, really. Maybe he's one of these CBs that excels when his defensive line is really getting after the QB but can't hold coverage for long. Might be a good fit for our defense, depending what kind of contract he commands.

4. conquistador#11

when a Big white TE hurdles you not once, but twice, in the same game.. you've lost a step.
    I wouldn't mind for the minimum

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

NO NO NO!
    He just sucks, I have watched a lot of cowboys game, and he gets burned, or he does pass interference. it just like Kareem Jackson.
    the only different thing from Kareem, is Newman doesnt fall, but he always get burned.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Take it from a Cowboys fan who absolutely LOVED Terence Newman from day one...

You don't want him now.

He's way too passive... He NEVER plays the ball in the air. He'll be in perfect position to knock the ball down, but instead of actually trying that, he'll watch the WR catch it then he'll make a poor attempt at a tackle.

You can tell he doesn't have the outstanding speed he used to, and he tries to compensate too much for that. He'll back too far off and give the receiver an easy slant route. He'll turn too early in anticipation of a go-route, only to watch the WR run a hitch and make the easy catch.

As much as I love Terence, I was begging for anybody else to take his spot last season.

7. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

i second this. he flat out SUCKS and is pretty much getting by on name recognition alone. he wouldnt be an upgrade from kareem (thats how bad he is)

8. showa13

showa13 Member