1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones: Trade Asset, or Key Piece For 2013 Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pragmatician, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

I, like all of you, see Terrence Jones tearing it up in Summer League play and can't help but think that Morey will use this as leverage in a trade for an 'experienced veteran'.

Personally, I want to keep him. Signing experienced vets is all well and good, but there is something to be said about having talented young guys on our team. Building blocks for the future, if you will.

How should Morey handle this?

2. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Whoever starts at the 4 is getting traded

3. jvu

jvu Member

Asik TJones picks for Aldridge.

Blazers just need to do it already!

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

First be the key piece. Then get traded. They're intertwigned. The entire PF rotation is basically a a showcase for Portland/Minnesota.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Whichever applies.

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Funny, yet astute.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He hasn't done anything yet. he would have to tear it up from the get go till the trade deadline. And with him the 5th option as a starter doesn't well for propping up his value before a trade. Potential gets you 2nd round picks. That's all. And that's all he has right now.

Let him do it for 1 year and deep into the playoffs and that helps more. But he needs to deliver first.

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

This.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Personally,I think he's a key piece to not only the future,but keeping the rox out of lux tax land. When trying to win a ring,you need superstars and developing talent. I see Jones as a developing talent. I mean,it doesn't hurt to have a mid 1st rd pick turn into an all star caliber talent. For all the effort people wanted to spend on josh smith,he to was a mid 1st rd pick. I think Jones has that kind of talent. They just need to continue and develop him.

10. willieg52

willieg52 Member

I think he will be a key piece in our offense and will stay that way because of his youth. He hasn't done anything yet to be considered valuable other than his potential. Our 2 biggest trade assets again are Lin and Asik but I don't see DM moving either player without getting another AllStar player or 1st round draft picks for 2014...

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Likely true.

12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i do like tjones game. and i'd like to see him stay.

but let's be real... this was a value pick. all in hopes of assembling this type of roster (now with D12). if the right move comes along to increase your chances of winning an NBA title in the next 3 years, tjones could very likely be sent packing.

13. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

and sacramento haha

14. pass_to_Hakeem

Keep Jones and our DMo in whatever package you need for future trades

15. pass_to_Hakeem

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He has more value to us then in a trade with another team.

17. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

if anything happens, it will be next season. someone trying to trade aldrige or love and they want to get something if they dont want to resign. if not, the rockets can keep jones/dmo til the 2015 season.

however, i think getting another allstar is a bad idea. you will over pay for a star getting a diminished role due to everyone's touches being limited. look at chris bosh. his role is more limited than it would be on another team and you pay the dude close to max money.

you may not want a star. 2 top 10 players should be good enough to win a championship. i think role players are more important at this point.

18. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Morey isn't in a rush to trade Jones. Probably the best first round pick he's ever made.

19. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

keep ur day job lol.

20. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

if tjones stayed an extra year in college....

would he have carried Kentucky to the sweet 16 or something (kentucky didnt even make the tournament)???

and where would he have gone in the weak 2013 draft? definitely lottery but top 10? top 5?