1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones is back people!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, Feb 26, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Holic is back folks!

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Just wondering, have you ever seen him play? You post here a lot. You should watch a game sometime.

3. basketballholic

hehehehe

I've seen every second of his playing career....even including his 2 years at Kentucky, and even some of his high school games. (That's why I know what he is.) Have you?

Terrence can't shoot outside of layups and dunks. He's great at layups and dunks. But you don't want him shooting a jumper from anywhere on the floor. NOWHERE. Because he's simply a poor shooter and hasn't improved his shooting in almost 6 years now.

Terrence is a garbage man/finisher only...on the offensive end. My only question at this point is will his finishing percentages be watered down to mediocre percentages in this year's playoffs like they were in last year's playoffs? I suspect they will when he goes against bigger defenders and guys that are not stiffs consistently.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he's doing well for us. Hope it continues. But he's a finisher/garbage man. Can't shoot the J efficiently or even average from anywhere on the floor.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The data seems to support what basketballholic is saying.

[​IMG]

But hey, I'll take a guy who is good in the paint.

5. basketballholic

you mean good in the low blocks as a garbage man. I'll take that too.

Terrence isn't good in the paint. Only the low blocks. Thankfully he realizes this and limits his attempts everywhere but at the rim.

That works for the regular season. But it doesn't work as a starter going against playoff teams for a 7-game series. That's where Terrence was exposed last season and if he is starting this year (I really suspect he won't be) he'll get re-exposed. Because nothing has changed about his game. He still can't shoot a jump shot from anywhere on the floor.

Career numbers:
    35% on all 2-point shots outside of 3-feet (118/336)
    29.6% on all 3-point shots (40/135)
    29.3% on corner 3-point shots for his career

#105 basketballholic, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

This is good stuff

For last season

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He isn't a garbage man. He has some serious skills.

8. basketballholic

List them.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the best ball handlers in the NBA at his position and size...

You don't need to shoot jumpers when you have that sort of body, length and skillset, especially when you can finish with both hands. No jumper needed...

10. basketballholic

Agreed he's got a great handle at the 4.

However....here's the problem with that. Unless you are going to make a point-forward out of him...that handle goes largely wasted. Sure there's a few end-to-end highlight reel type plays every season. But overall...that won't contribute to winning much unless he's good enough to handle and run the pick and roll as the handler up top. I don't think he's got that good of a handle. Terrence has a good enough handle to race the ball up the floor in space in transition. But not good enough to run an offense. I'd rather have a guard being my secondary handle than him.

If Terrence stays in the league long-term it will be because he's good at the rim and he finally becomes good enough defensively to not be a liability.

11. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Bbhollic is the ultimate troll and wannabe insider.

Just wants to hear himself speak

1 person likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He obviously is going to remain in the league. I don't think there's any doubt about that, barring injury.

His defense needs improvement, but he does a lot of things well. He's a very solid rotation player who will be valuable off the bench when Dwight returns.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

handles, running hook shot, hands that aren't bricks. Garbage man is Chuck Hayes. I like garbage men, that ain't jones.

14. basketballholic

LOL.

Hands that aren't bricks isn't a skill.

Chuck Hayes in his prime was not a garbage man. A garbage man is a guy that rebounds the ball and puts it in the hole. Hayes had trouble finishing. Hayes was a glue guy. Great interior defensive player. Great defender all over the floor actually. And smart enough offensively to get to the right place at the right time, move the basketball and occasionally catch the opponent unawares and sneak back door or dribble drive for the layup. Good playmaker out of the high post as well.

Hayes was a glue guy. Not a garbage man.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yes, that's obvious. I don't post inside info here but I have lunch with Morey at least once a month and often once a week. For what it's worth he couldn't disagree with you more. That's why I knew we were very unlikely to trade him even while you kept insisting we would. I have ALWAYS been high on TJ. I was surprised to learn that DM is even higher on him.

2 people like this.
  16. jbasket

jbasket Member

I almost feel like Dmo is softer than Jones, since Jones has bulked up. Seriously, the guy is just throwing himself out there. While Dmo still can't grab a rebound...

17. NotChandlerParsons

I just had a panic attack from reading this post. Thankfully, Terrence Williams is playing basketball in Paraguay. (I didn't check, but this seems like it should be true).

18. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

But...but.. I thought BBhollic knew Morey's trade preferences?! :rolleyes: That dude is the ultimate blowhard who cant get enough of himself.

19. basketballholic

They've tried to trade him multiple times. They do not view him as a core piece. If he had been healthy he would've been traded at the deadline. Hopefully he plays his tail off and we can move him for value in the off season.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Batman just refuted that and you still claims he was shopping him. And come on man you don't know what was Morey proposal to these teams. You also don't know who they view as a core player or not. So stop making claims without actually evidence dude.