1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones is back people!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, Feb 26, 2015.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's a luxury to have 3 PF's. They are all fitting in with the team. It doesn't matter to me who starts, but I think Jones fits in better with Dwight. D-Mo and Smith will continue to play big roles for us, even when Dwight returns.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There is more to spacing than hitting 3 pointers. The misconception is that spacing is created whether or not you hit them IF the opponent is running at you. However that isn't true, that means your guy was camping under the hoop, and ran out. ie, no spacing - the scoring option is only if you hit the 3, the layup is gone.

Spacing is created if your man stands near you, whether or not you can even shoot a 3. If you get him out of the lane, you make the space. Looking at the stats for last year, the team shot significantly better from everywhere on the floor with Jones ON the court as opposed to him OFF the court. I haven't checked the numbers on this season, but would be shocked if they aren't the same.
    In theory, this is because he is 'guarded' more closely. He is enough of a threat to hit a 3 (30%+); but, if left open, can dribble to attack the hoop, use his long strides to get close, and finishes at an elite level near the rim. He is also very active in attacking the hoop without the ball, cutting to get open, and finishing.
    The eye test confirms the theory, Jones makes people shoot better because his man is away from the hoop, and therefore opens up the lane for Harden to attack.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True fans know that the team and chemistry matter. They cheer for their young players.

What one individual (basketballholic) has to say does not matter that much.

It is in the best interest for the Rockets that Terrence can make a big leap forward
    whether it is as an asset in a trade or as an important member of the Houston Rockets

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Jopat knows as much about basketball as he knows about elections.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Considering all the missed easy shots Jones and DMo had last game,

McHale actually recognizing way ahead of everyone weeks ago

Its all of that. Its also people under-estimate TJones actual weight. He is 250 lbs, plenty thick for NBA forward (David West size).

He has kinda a "mouth-breather" facial expression. He also has a lumbering/awkward way in his body movements. It looks unbalanced, but he has enough body control within that odd form.

And he's a long strider, takes long gallops steps instead of quick footed bursts. I saw people describe Jones as looking slow-footed on court since he got drafted. Maybe laterally, but straight-line he covers ground with the long strides and first step. Other NBA pfs have tough time keeping up with it

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Maybe you already have, bballholic) :

You should LIST out the IDEAL SKILLS requirements of an NBA power forward or frontcourt player. To see how ALL PF's in the NBA actually compare. Not just for Rockets players

It'll either be that
    - there are plenty skills necessary (perhaps more than it seems)
    - an ideal NBA PF's skills chart is fairly simple (meaning it doesnt take a wide assortment of skills to be effective)
    - Or its arbitrary changing of requirements depending on idealistic team fit or idealistic PERSONAL standards.

7. basketballholic

Maybe you'll believe cyberx.

8. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Did cyberx tell you that Jones might not be able to stay in the league? lol you are such a joke.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Jones was not fully recovered or even starting again, when we offered him to the Suns. And that's also why we offereed him, because he was in recovered and so had some question marks.

That's what cyberx is referencing. And that's why the Suns regret not taking him, because now they see that he is fully recovered. You're not comparing apples to oranges.

10. Airdough

Airdough Member

Cyberx never said Jones was offered to the Suns by the Rockets, just that DMo was the sole focus of trade discussions for them. It appears they never asked if a trade was possible with Jones in it instead of DMo and now are regretting at least not making that overture versus the two first round picks they received instead.

I am not sure Morey would have made Jones available even at that point and his best offer might not have had either of Jones or DMo in it.

11. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Whether we offered Jones in trades is not the point. It's Morey so he is ALWAYS open to upgrading the team. The problem is BBhollic states that Jones isnt that good and might not even stay in the league, while also stating that Cannan will have multiple 30/40+ point games and will have to be sat because of how well he will play in PHI. His talent evaluation leaves much to be desired.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Holic all because cyberx posted that doesn't mean it's 100% factual. Did anybody on here Morey's proposal to the Suns?

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Its funny cyberx says that suns regret not trading for Jones, and BBollic uses that as validatin that Jones isnt any good? OK....

14. basketballholic

That's your twist on what I said. But it's not true. It's not what I said. I have never said Jones wasn't any good. Continue with your false exaggerations.

What cyber did was validate to crash that Jones has been offered in trade and rejected. That is, if crash believes cyber. (He may not.)

15. NotChandlerParsons

Dude has a sick handle. Also, his voice is really high for his size and that's funny to me.

16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

You said he wont even be in the league long term, if that doesnt mean you think he isnt any good im not sure what does.

17. basketballholic

So you think the last month has changed how Morey values Jones. Do you think Morey has flipped from valuing DMo more than Jones over the last month?

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man just admit it jop. Just say it, it's ok.

"Terrence _ones is better than I thought he was."

It's ok to say that. You could even add "But I still don't think he's more than a rotational player."

And that would be fine.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Do you think one of them had a serious and scary injury at the time and the other didn't? I also value players that are physically capable of playing over those that aren't (and might not ever be again).

20. Remii

Remii Member

None of us know how much Morey valued either of the players... What I do know is you've been practically demanding TJ be traded or will be traded and yet he's still here and playing very well.