1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones arrested in Portland for stomping on homeless man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2therack, Jul 31, 2013.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He heard it from nowhere. Just formed his own opinion, that's all. Trying to get his point across. It's a waste because he has no point.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know if Jones "stomped" or "touched" the homeless man. However I can tell you that it is not odd for the charging document to be more cautious. As explained, it is common and smart to be cautious when drafting charges against some one.

If Jones did "stomp" on the homeless man I just want him to be humbled, pay the homeless man compensation and move on. If he keeps his head on straight he is our starting power forward. Last year he looked very promising.

If Jones tripped over the homeless man and then screamed at him, I want this whole thing to go away so we can just worry about basketball.

All the people thinking that homeless people are trash, and don't deserve basic human rights and dignities, I say shame on you.

All the people saying to cut Jones or give him a lengthy suspension, I say that is not realistic or appropriate.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I never said the cop was a liar. He could very easily have been mistaken or maybe TJ did make some sort of motion towards the guy. TJ probably didn't make contact with the guy or they would have charged him with assault....but you don't really care.

And what maneuver did he pull? Getting pissed and yelling at a dude who tripped him while sleeping in the sidewalk?

Let me know how you'd react to tripping over some random fool who was sleeping on the sidewalk.

If more stories come out about TJ screwing with homeless people then I will change my opinion, but there is nothing I've seen that indicates he is that kind of person.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...s-buys-full-dental-makeover-for-kentucky-fan/

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This quote shows total ignorance. We are not talking about "HOMELESS" people, we are talking about this man. Do not blame T jones for all the sorrow you feel about all the innocent homeless people out there. This one man is a crack addict and chooses to live on the streets don't blame t jones for that and don't get mad at people for undrstanding who and what this man is.

Terrence jones is about 6'9 200+ pounds If he wanted stomp someone violently they would be injured. This man was not injured, so why are you acting like he beat the man to death.

6. PeppermintCandy

I believe the only person saying that Jones tripped over the guy is Jones' attorney, who is aiming for a non-guilty verdict. The police report said that Jones lifted his leg and stepped (previously stomped) on the homeless person.

Of course, people can choose to believe Jones' attorney's word for it.

7. vlaurelio

isn't tripping over = lifting a leg and stepping on something?

I choose to believe science. no injury = no stomping = no stepping on purpose

8. PeppermintCandy

Tripping over implies an accidental action, while lifting one's leg and stepping on something is intentional.

And a lack of injury does not connote absence of purpose. If that were the case, should someone get away with hitting you as long as they left no mark?

9. vlaurelio

describe your actions in detail when you trip on something.. don't you first lift your leg?

lack of injury = lack of stomping. no way around that.

10. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

the man was injured, but it wasn't any serious.

11. itstheyear3030

You are right. The outcome doesn't matter; it's what you tried to do and your state of mind when doing it. That's why someone who shoots at someone else intending to kill, but misses is still guilty of a crime, albeit a slightly lesser one. Similarly, Jones could still be found guilty of something regardless of actual injury if it can be proven that he intended to injure the homeless guy and made a motion indicating he would.

On a side note, about half of the homeless population have some sort of mental disorder. There is obviously an element of personal responsibility in one ending up on the street and this man may not have mental issues, but some of you seem pretty harsh on the homeless.

12. vlaurelio

what kind of injuries? any details or pictures? bruises? anything? TIA

13. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Any word so far on whats going to happen to him?

14. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

nothing. not guilty.

15. ling ling

ling ling Member

When you trip on something that you don't see, what is your first reaction?

Mine would be.
    Lift your leg high enough to make sure you clear the object, then take a big step, then find a clear landing area for to put your foot down.

Sure, it might looked like I stomped on something from far away, but it wasn't a stomp.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Did the homeless dude have a hoodie on?

I am just saying ...

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I completely understand that. My point is that the reason they're cautious here is that they aren't sure. There's no need to be cautious about something you saw and are 100% certain about. The items you pull back on are those that you may not be able to prove/fully testify to, because those can eventually trip you up.

Now, is that necessarily news? Not in a usual case because, as you said, it's fairly standard. But in a case where the word "stomp" was thrown out all over the place upon the arrest, including three times in the press release (once in the headline!), it is very curious.

The biggest priority to me is not to rush to judgment. The stuff about a lengthy suspension -- if what Terrence did is at the high end of the scale, I'd be open to it. To basically stomp on a homeless person for the sport of it and to laugh at them... that's pretty awful. On the other hand, if he accidentally tripped and then yelled/nudged, he should just say he's sorry (which he has) and move on and try to mature as a person.

There's a big difference between the prosecution and defense claims, and it seems like far too many people feel like they have to form a firm opinion immediately. Best thing we can do is wait and give both sides the chance to fully present their case.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If he was drunk, his coordination would be shot.

19. PeppermintCandy

The only thing I know so far is that the police report states Jones lifted his leg and then stepped/stomped on the person, and that Jones' attorney is saying his client just tripped. Frankly, everything we add or embellish to these points is just speculation, which is fine. It won't effect the outcome one way or the other.

I just wish some of these posters would be clear that they're stating an opinion and not fact. But I guess that's asking too much.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

T Jones should have stood his ground and shot him IMO.