1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tempurpedic / Sleep Number / etc

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TL, Dec 27, 2015.

1. TL

TL Contributing Member

Anyone have good or bad experiences with these?

I bought a nice pillow top mattress a couple years ago. Now the mattress has a big depression where I sleep and it kills my back. I can't really sleep on it anymore and am going to replace it.

I'm not a big dude - about 160 - so I don't put unusual wear on it. But this bed sucks - the thing is so sunk in my back has been totally messed up.

Wife likes softer mattresses and I like firmer ones. Thus the potential sleep number. We tested them at the store and they were generic importable, but they just felt cheaper. Hard to describe, but we both walked out underwhelmed

We also tested tempurpedic. It seemed fine, but it leaves an impression where I lay...which makes me concerned that it will have an impression like my current bed does and won't support me overnight.

Also curious about if tempurpedics sleep hot. And a petty thing, but i have heard ppl complain about sex on it.

Any experience would be appreciated. Especially if you have lower back pain issues.

Thanks!

2 people like this.
  2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Tempurpedic:

Yes it does make bed room recreation a little more difficult....

The Tempurpedic Breeze Line sleep pretty damn cool. Did you get a chance to lay on a Cloud Luxe Breeze? I love it....

They redesigned their main lineup in late 2013 as 2014 models with a single stage of cooling (zipper cover models). Sleep much cooler than the previous series that were ovens....

The Breeze line is about to have a new roll out in the spring, to make the aesthetics match better with their newer grey colored adjustable bases. It'll be a great time to pick some of those up if you don't mind a floor model from a show floor etc....

The goal of mattresses today, is that you are pretty much supposed to sleep IN them rather than on them. They are meant to conform / contour to your body. In the case for tempurpedic, they adapt to your shape, weight, and temperature. As it warms up it gets a little big softer to conform to your body, filling in the gaps.

If you are afraid the the mobility issues in bed (ease of movement, and making da secs...) they have some hybrid models now that have 2000 coils under the material.

Yes, I'm in the industry, but I'm not affiliated with TSI.

#2 Uprising, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Been sleeping on a temperpedic for a while now, and it's honestly hard for me to sleep on anything else. I am a big dude, and trust me the memory foam (if you buy the good stuff, not the cheap knock off) will not stay sunk in. It can get warm at times sleeping in it, but nothing really to make a deal about. I feel much more rested after sleeping in a temperpedic as opposed to sleeping in a traditional mattress. Check your rep.

1 person likes this.
  4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Make sure your wife is okay with the Tempurpedic. Mine also weighs very little and prefers softer beds and she couldn't stand it.

I was in a very similar situation and spent 3 months searching for the perfect mattress. I did quite a bit of research, posted on /r/mattress and even consulted with the Mattress Nerd. I took his recommendation and bought a Simmons World Class Luxury Plush that's actually on the firmer side. The bed works really well for both of us.

FWIW, my last mattress was a Tempurpedic Rhapsody and I hated that thing. I might be in the minority, but I sleep better on firmer innersprings. Keep in mind that once you put a mattress protector on it, the bed will feel completely different. Because moisture is the worst enemy of a foam mattress, I don't recommend sleeping without one either.

1 person likes this.
  5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I have major back problems (sports injury), and I'm a Sleep Number fan. I'm right about your weight too.

I got the sort of mid-range model, which I think is the equivalent of the p5 model today (believe it was called the 5000 when I bought it like 7 years ago). Still happy with it. I know I didn't find the entry-level model comfortable when I tried it in the store, in case that's the only one you tried.

1 person likes this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I got the Casper, which combines the memory foam layer of foam beds like Tempurpedic with a latex foam layer that lasts longer / sleeps cooler / isn't as dense. It also delivers to your door (shipped via carrier) and has a 100 day return policy where they'll pick it up for any reason and refund you.

You can go on the site and read reviews. People have details like their size/weight and whether they sleep on their side/back/etc., so it's pretty helpful.

This link gets you $50 off (and gets me $, full disclosure): http://refer.casper.com/v2/share/6233417782707685876

Personally, I've enjoyed it. I was at the same point as you with my previous mattress...sinking even though I weigh less than you even, and my back was messed up because of it. This has been a great upgrade for me at a solid price.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

I had the tempurpedic rhapsody ...and I returned it.
    1. it was hot
    2. i wasn't comfortable...my weight distribution is weird (5 7, 150lbs)...it's mostly near the core and I feel like I was in a hole.
    3. the CASPER was only 900 bucks or something compared to 2500 for the temper.

my wife has back problems and she finds the casper bed fine. as someone said..recreational activities are tough on a memory foam.

1 person likes this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

You may want to consider just a regular innerspring mattress without the pillow top. And then purchase a separate high quality latex(Dunlop or talalay) topper. A latex topper should provide the cushion of a pillow top mattress without the indentation that usually forms with pillow top mattresses. A latex topper costs about 200-250 for a queen size.

I haven't tried this yet myself, but I did some research and I think this will be the way I go next time.

1 person likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have the same issue as you. As I got older, depressions in mattresses started killing my back. I bought a cheaper mattress and it was heavenly for about a month. After a year and a half, sleeping around on different sides of it, I had to get a new one.

I will say this; If you havent ruled out either a Tempurpedic or Sleep Number, keep researching. They are two very different styles of beds. I quickly ruled out a Tempurpedic.

A Sleep Number bed is nothing more than an air bed. Dont get caught up in the name brand. There are several manufactures out there that pretty much do the same thing at a better price.

I settled on a Personal Comfort (sold on Amazon) with a basic model. I believe my issue is that once the foam/support starts to break down even in the slightest, that slight sag puts pressure on my back. What I intend to do is change out the toppers every so often instead of purchasing a whole new mattress.

Look around at SleepLikethedead forums and do plenty of reading (i dont want to call it research because there seems to be very little info on beds themselves)

1 person likes this.
  10. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Been on a tempurpedic for 10 yrs and will never go back to a traditional mattress.

1 person likes this.
  11. TL

TL Contributing Member

Wow. Some really helpful advice in here. I really appreciate it.

Because my bed sucks so much, I have been sleeping on an air mattress for the last few months. It has helped a lot, so I am tempted to find something that will beat mimic that. That is what leads me towards the sleep number.

I hate sleeping hot and I feel weird sinking into the temper. I assume we can find some good ways around any recreational issues, so I'll get over that.

For what it is worth, we bought a Serta iSeries medium pillow top last time. Highly UNreconmended if anyone comes across it.

I owe a lot of rep for the helpful responses. Will get them out when I am off of my phone.

Thanks!!

12. TL

TL Contributing Member

One more question for people on here:

Have any of you guys ever tried to, or heard of, people negotiating price for mattresses? I never really thought about doing it until after I walked out of one mattress store and I told my wife that I felt like I came out of a car dealership. Then I read on the Mattress Nerd site that some retailers are open to negotiating.

Any real world success in doing so?

As an aside, we tried the Tempur a few more times and are leaning against it. So far, I've tried approximately 4 zillion mattresses. My favorite has been a Simmons Beautyrest Plush like redefined mentioned.

13. redefined

You can and you absolutely should. However, I found a great deal on mine through SlickDeals at USMattress. I got the king size for $1,128 with free shipping and no tax. I just checked SD and the same sale is going on.

http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-wc-phillipsburg-plush-matt-king.html?sdtid=8380431

You should watch the professional review at the site and see if it's similar to the one you tested out. Even though it's considered plush, it's still quite firm, which I actually prefer for my back. Just remember to buy a high quality mattress protector. The Mattress Nerd has a whole article on that with some recommendations.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

What about that Texas Mattress Makers place I keep hearing about on the radio?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I got my last mattress from here: https://www.sleepez.com/

It's smaller one that one of the kids sleeps on. Though I love resting on it myself! We have a King that is similar bought many years ago from: https://www.flobeds.com/

There are a number of similar sites, that basically are the Caspers before the Caspers, but you have more options as the consumer - latex type, organic or not, etc. Casper is definitely cheaper, but consider it is a slightly different product with a mix of materials. The process as far as what is shipped to you, how you "build" your bed, return policies, etc. are usually the same across these types of sites.

The wife was against tempurpedic because of all the "stuff" in it, for whatever that's worth, which latex generally doesn't have nearly as much of, especialyl organic latex... HOWEVER, that again was a while back and I understand there are lots "cleaner" memory foam products out there now like Casper I assume.

I've enjoyed the latex mattress a lot.

16. redefined

I went there as it was recommended to me by some friends, but the Jewish owner was very shady and their prices were outrageous. The mattresses were nice though and I'm sure he stands by his products.

The World Class I bought was $1,300 cheaper and had a very similar feel to the one he was trying to sell me. The only difference was the number of coils, but Simmons is the leader in individually pocketed coils and I'm already at over 1,200 coils. I'm not sure why I would need more than that.

What also bothered me was that the salesman told me there was only one perfect bed for me, which just seems absurd. Not everyone wants to spend $2,500 on a bed. So you're telling me that if I couldn't afford that bed, there was no other bed for me? That's just silly.

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I have a temper cloud, no problem with it. The recreational activities did take getting used to.

There is the iCloud too, which is supposed to sleep cooler. I've had no problems with the temp on the temper though.

As far as sinking into the temper, have you tried out the different models? I found that some sunk in more than others. They have some firm, and some soft. We ended up going with a more entry level one, that was kind of in the middle.

Mind has not sunk in at all, over the past 3 or 4 years. I weigh about 230.

18. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I am a big Tempurpedic fan. I had a tempurpedic mattress from 2001 but it got worn out in the middle which made it kill my back when sleeping. I would wake up at about 5am every morning with my back in quite a bit of pain. I had to get a new bed.

A few months ago, I dropped $5.1K on a Tempurpedic Cloud mattress with an adjustable base. I have had surgery on my neck and have had some back issues, so I wanted/needed a bad ass bed. The one I bought delivered.

I got back to my house Friday night after spending a week at my brother's family's house over the holiday sleeping on an inflatable mattress. My lower back was in pain the whole trip. After sleeping on my Tempurpedic on Friday night, I awoke Saturday without any back pain at all.

I ****ing love my bed and it was worth $5k, for sure. The adjustable base (with 4 programmable settings) is quite nice.

19. peterrkim

peterrkim Contributing Member

my fiance and I bought our bed from here 2 months ago. it's on the firmer side with a little softness on the top. ever since i slept on it i haven't had the random pains in my shoulder/neck from the odd ways i sleep. i definitely recommend.

they're definitely not cheap. but you don't want to go cheap with mattresses. my previous mattress was a memory foam that was pretty firm. it was given to me and i used it for 3 years.

my brother bought one of those bed in a box mattresses. it's very soft and he's got back issues with it. if he ever changes mattress i'll add an update but for now i think they contribute to his back pain.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He should (or should have if too late) just sent it back.
    Not all places, but where I've bought mine, you get to choose your firmness... and if you go extra firm on all the layers, it is without a doubt a very firm mattress.