1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tell me how we're going to defend the Jazz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 11, 2019.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

Not enough question marks. I can't tell if you understood the first post or not

ElDobleK, dmoneybangbang and hakeem94 like this.
  2. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

And it likely involves benching Capela in favor of Hartenstein.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. basketballholic

It's not about Capela. It's about us and them. Leave.it.there.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd defend them by saying, They are pretty likable compared to previous Jazz teams. But I don't really feel the need to defend them.

6. basketballholic

Personally I think Gobert would eat Hartenstein alive. We haven't evolved our offense to include a shooting 5 playing 5 out and pick-and-pop. We've devolved from last year. And therefore Hartenstein shooting the 3 and playing 5 out would not be enough to survive the Gobert onslaught on him. Because we aren't going to pump Hartenstein the basketball and he can a bunch of 3's for us. So, without that going, it's not worth getting Hartenstein torched by Gobert on the defensive end to have him in there. Gobert is just too big for Hartenstein right now. And Hartenstein is useless defending a stretch 4...or even Favors....unless he's going to at least offset what we lose defensively with a slew of 3-balls. Not happening.

We did not involve Hartenstein in the rotation in the regular season to get him minutes and experience. We did not develop him this year so that he could possibly be effective. Didn't work out the kinks. Why would I think he'd work now??????????????

Additionally, I don't think putting PJ on Gobert in the post and running Hartenstein or some other weakside help at the 4 works.

So.....stop with the bullcorn. This is not about sitting Capela down and playing Hartenstein.

Tell me how we're going to defend them. Just deal with the question.

#46 basketballholic, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  7. CertifiedTroll

We are going to defend them by having a strong defensive stance and moving our feet!

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I think we defend them the same way we did last year when we beat the living crap out of them...

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeez. So F’ing true...

10. amaru

amaru Member

How will we defend them?

I image the 5 Rocket players on the court will assume defensive stances and move around in an attempt to prevent the 5 Jazz players from putting the ball in the rim.

Am I on the right track?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Defense- guard everyone not named Rubio.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. basketballholic

You're on the dumbbutt track which is the right track for you.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean the team runs one defense with a few wrinkles so that's what they'll do against the Jazz. They'll start out switching everything with Harden trying to cheat to the paint so he can try to switch onto bigs. If that gets exploited they'll make some adjustments in game 3.

topfive likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Ok, describe switch everything. This year they're now running pick-and-roll. They weren't really doing that last year or during us in the playoffs. But now they are. How are we going to defend Mitchell/Favors, Rubio/Favors, Ingles/Favors pick-and-roll. That's what they're doing. They're using Favors as the roller. And he don't have no hands problems.

Switch Capela onto the guard?????????????

You said switch everything.....You gonna give up Favors rolling with the switch??

Just asking. There's no wrong answer. It's a matter of what the best answer is.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

same thing as last year

shoot a lot of 3s and call their fans racists

16. basketballholic

So their offense is the same as last year???????????

Have you watched them the last 40-50 games?????

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Capela won his head to head matchups last year vs Gobert, KAT and Looney. Jazz look stronger than they appear based on how weak their SOS was towards the end of the season.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. PhiSlammaJamma

Theranos said they have a solution, they won't share it publicly, but for a billion dollars they will give us a very vague idea of how it can be done in minutes.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing our coaches aren't taking notes from this thread.

20. basketballholic

The reason why this is about our defense is because the whole world knows what we're going to do offensively. We're not changing a thing offensively. We're running PnR with shooters and playing off their defense for the open shot. Period. The only question offensively is whether we go small and sit Capela to try to get Gobert out. But that really doesn't become an issue that we're concerned with....unless........unless they're torching our defense with Capela or one of the other bigs (Nene/Faried/Hartenstein) and we're looking for an answer by going small and trying to force them to sit Gobert.

So it all goes back to how are we going to defend them. Hence the question. The question is being posed as how do you think we're going to defend them.......not the way some of you are deciding to interpret it....as.....we have no chance to defend them, o my god what are we going to do?

Switch everything???

We haven't been doing that in the regular season. So now we're going to switch everything???? Are you saying we're going to sit Capela??? Because we already know if we switch everything against them that they are going to absolutely KILL US on the glass. So are you really saying switch everything?