1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Telfair wants Celtics to Un-retire #31

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by candlegreen, Jul 19, 2006.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I'd Laugh if Maxwell met his demands

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Damn, people...overreact much?

First off, he's not asking the Celtics to "un-retire" #31. The number will still be hanging from the rafters. Telfair is simply asking Maxwell if he can wear #31, as a personal favor.

Second, this is certainly not the first time this has happened, It's happened before in the NBA and in other sports.

Third, who's number have the Celtics NOT retired? If the Celtics retire any more numbers, they'll have to start putting Greek letters on their jerseys...

That being said, however, I don't think he should do this. It's not because it's disrespectful or anything, but you never know, he might play well enough to get his number retired one day, and I doubt they'll retire #31 again...

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

In addition to the jaw-dropping news of Telfair's lunacy, I'm just really surprised the Maxwell's jersey was retired.

4. Ryan Bowen MVP

Putting all that aside, don't you think Telfair is crazy to be trying to pull this off with a cell-phone call. If he is that serious about it, wouldn't it make more sense (and respectful) to meet with this guy in person and become friends with him first? He is making a terrible first-impression.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

while you knew everyone would jump on telfair like he was the anti-christ, the 3 posts above are the best way of looking at it. we've got people saying telfair "demanded" it. or are acting like he's just disgracing a boston legend. the article said he planned to negotiate. whoop-de-friggin'-do. as the ever-prescient "they" always say, you never get anything unless you ask. he'll ask (probably nicely), and maxwell will either say no and telfair will move on with his life or he might say yes and telfair will get what he wanted and won't have been disrespectful at all. from a pr standpoint, this isn't good (and what little news telfair has generated so far in the nba hasn't been great so he won't get the benefit of the doubt) b/c you know fans will overreact, but it's no big deal.

as far as maxwell goes, it's hard to see how his number is retied. never an all-star, 2 seasons above 16 ppg, 3 above 8 rpg, only 6 seasons as a starter for boston (and only 7 total in his career). maybe it was all based on the finals mvp, but that's just a good resume, not a jersey-retiring resume. and funny someone mentioned thorpe, b/c thorpe was his #1 similarity score at age 26 on basketballreference.com.

6. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

lets see him win a playoff game before we start lettin him make demands.

Scratch that, lets see have a winning season before we start lettin telfair make demands.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

There are only 21 numbers retired by the Celtics. There are many left. If he was a stud and had confidence, he'd take one not used much and make the Celtics retire that one because of his play.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The fact that some people don't know who Cedric Maxwell is is even more reason for Cedric Maxwell to want his number to stay retired - so that people will always ask. I'd think you'd have a better chance of getting Russell or Bird to un-retire their numbers because no matter what their legacy will remain in tact.

9. TracyMcCrazyeye

telfair should have gone to louisville. drafting a small pg straight out of HS is unheard of. from what i remember, the majority of drafts with HS students were big men. (tmac's 6'8", he counts :) )

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If it's no big deal, why even retire numbers in the first place?

I think that to those who think that retiring a number has meaning this is a big deal, regardless of who's number it is.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

irony,

telfair being called selfish but if maxwell kept his number for this reason the he is ___________

you fill in the blank

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ainge (supposedly/reportedly/allegedly) acquired ST to use as an AI trade piece. Does Philly have a retired #31?

13. rickylee888

rickylee888 Contributing Member

telfair just wants the number on his jersey to match his IQ.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

This kid has done jack squat in the leagu and he wants to unretire a Celtic hero's jersey. Someone needs to quit putting mushrooms in his soup or something.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'm not knocking Telfair for asking. He can inquire about the availability of the number if he wishes and its happened before.. If Cornbread Maxwell says yes then none of it matters and Maxwell might even be viewed as cool generous guy. Not like Telfair's shopping for numbers anyway, we wants just the one certain number a particular player has (retired)... Me I would respect JoJo White and Havlicek all the same as Bird and Russell but thats just me I guess. Who's me to come in and say well ya know YOU think this guy was really good but me I say no cuz he's no Larry Bird. (lets not forget this is Sebastian Telfair. Not Tim Duncan coming in, or Paul Pierce even)

The tradition of retiring numbers though is the same all around no matter the player. There isnt a regular retired number for whoever asks, then a super untouchable retired number level thats set aside for the legitimate greats. They're all the same: UNAVAILABLE as a tribute to greatness. Why even retire numbers I guess if they're gonna put a value on each individual one.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

What happens when every single number is retired?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

at the end of the day
    it is disrespectful

If the man did something good enough to get his Jersey
    Retired . . then respect that

Do you borrow someone's Oscar
    Maybe try their underware on.

Rocket River

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ALSO
    I would want a unique number
    so
    when it hangs inthe rafters,. .
    I don't want people thinking
    is that Maxwell or Telfair's 31

Rocket River

19. rickylee888

rickylee888 Contributing Member

i totally agree. of course telfair can ask -- but out of respect and common courtesy, he shouldn't put maxwell in that position in the first place.

20. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

No one should ask "the Rubberband Man" (a former Rocket for those that weren't around or alive at that time) to unretire his jersey. :rolleyes: