1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teenager climbs world's tallest mountains

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ashes, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Ashes

Ashes Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...even-tallest-mountains-earth-seven-continents

Now, that sounds pretty amazing and I don't want to take anything from him, but come on. How much of Kilimanjaro did he really climb at age 10? Or Everest at age 13? If I climb a mountain and bring my cat in a bag with me, did he climb the mountain too? Also, one has to question the parents that let their 13 year old son climb the world's tallest mountain.

But seriously, thoughts on this?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Big deal Moes has 2500 rep points.

DD

3. Ashes

Ashes Member

This is true. That does make this seem rather pedestrian.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

holy ****...what happened to all your reps? lol!

1 person likes this.
  5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Meh. There are probably tons of kids who could do this but don't have the money.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The difference between Inspiring Individual Story . . . and Darwin award winner . . . .
    Is rate of survival.

This kid falls off the mountain and kills himself
    everyone would b**** about how his parents should not have allowed it

I am not on to chastize when they do fall off . ..
    but I am not going to congradulate the accomplishment either.

Rocket River
    You want my praise. . . .do a Doogie Houser!

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

wow...some haters in here. seems like quite an accomplishment to me.

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

this ^

9. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Now that is cool

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Good for the kid.

One of my neighbors (in his early 20's) went to somewhere in Europe to climb some mountain and got injured and froze to death a couple of years ago. That was pretty weird since I used to ball with him.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Gives me thoughts of that teenage sailor that got lost while trying to circle around the world.

I commend them for their spirit, but is it that much a tragedy (outside dying) if they fail?

They've probably done more things than some of us will ever do.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The first sentence says he successfully summitted the highest mountain on each of the seven continents. Did he did do it solo, no. But it's not like anyone carried him. And as long as the kid can handle the physical and mental stresses of such expeditions, I don't see the harm in it...which he obviously can if he climbed all seven.

Plenty other people, twice his age, don't bother to put in the necessary preparation to climb those peaks. They waste tens of thousands of dollars just for the chance to go up Everest, and when they get there, they are either forced to turn back, they put other lives in danger, or get themselves killed.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lol poor parenting but I guess if they're experts at it and if the kid felt comfortable then thats ok

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Spot on. I spoke to a guy who had trained for months to climb Everest and put in thousands in preparation. Half way up, one of the team members got injured. He was forced to either turn back or go on w/out him. Needless to say, he has not made it up yet.

Its not an easy feat to climb one of these mountains, much less 7

15. aghast

aghast Member

The very highest peaks, like Everest, aren't necessarily all that difficult to climb. Ropes & campsites are left up from previous climbers, and there are mountain guides and locals to carry the heaviest equipment.

It's more a matter of acclimating to the oxygen deprivation (have to camp for days/weeks at high altitude before even attempting the highest peaks), and having enough tanks of oxygen once you get there, that matters more than anything. And once you get to the top, you can be turned back if there's bad weather, if (as above) one of your party gets injured, because you and your sherpas can't carry enough oxygen to try to do it again the next day.

Read Krakauer's Into Thin Air. It details how climbing Everest in a "pay me $10,000, and I'll take your weeekend warrior fat--ss to the top" type situation turned into a catastrophe, thanks to a sudden storm.

16. SPF35

SPF35 Member

Everest is taller, but doesn't hold a candle to K2 in Pakistan which is the most difficult climb