1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teen arrested for ranking girls on Facebook.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, May 13, 2011.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/...rested-for-slimy-ranking-of-girls-on-facebook

He's being charged with libel---

PC gone too far, or justified?

ironic too that the site that was founded to rank girls at Harvard get this guy arrested.

list may have gone a bit too far, but personally, I'm sure all of us have made similar lists mentally---somewhere down the line.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

dayum...teens gone wild...probably a disgruntled ex boyfriend...

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Isn't that the reason mark started facebook? He is a billionaire

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Thought isn't a crime... yet. People should know better, though I'm sure it didn't seem so bad when he thought of it. Make a list in your mind, or private journal? not a problem. Make a list that can be accessed by the entire world allowing it to be printed and circulated among peers? Irresponsible.

What are the punishments for Teen Libel? I'm not sure, but he's LIBEL to get into a lot of trouble.
    Bahdum-pssssssssss

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They were arrested for "disorderly conduct"?

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

yes, and from what I understand they are also trying to stick him with libel (perhaps in a separate civil suit)---though that may just be an assumption from other readers. (though it does fit the bill). Either way, it's become a criminal matter, which I think is a bit over the top...especially for disorderly conduct charges.

I don't think it should have been a criminal case though, this kinda sets a bad precedent of criminalizing school behavior, no? Get a civil suit or something started, but arresting the kid seems to be a bit over the top.

someone else has also brought to my attention to the following---

and also

so the "punishment" will probably be to watch a trial that will proceed as following.

Girl 1:This guy accused me of sleeping with 20 guys in one month and being hot. LIBEL!
    Defendant:But, it's the truth.
    Witness 1:Indeed.
    Witness 2:She was a good one.
    Witness 3:mhmm
    Witness 4(current boyfriend):Uh...no. She's hot, but the 20 guys---
    Judge:pERJURY MOTHERF**** DO YOU KNOW IT?
    Witness 4:...ok, yeah, probably.

as for actual punishments---

if you're going the civil way, significant money loss.
    based on the criminal charge of disorderly---
    criminal charge of libel would result in---nothing actually, since Illinois has no state defamation laws, and the United States has no federal set of codes. However, in any of 17 states such as Utah, the punishment could range to up to 2 years in jail and significant fees.

(random aside, in scanning Illinois penal code penalties, it has come to my attention that adultery is punishable by up to 1 year of jail and up to $2500 in fines)

http://www.crimeandpunishment.net/IL/

hmm

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

White people love ranking things.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What's next? Arresting someone because they wrote on the bathroom stall that some chick is a slut? Who gives a crap. It is teenage drama, let parents and schools deal with it.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I doubt anything comes of it.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

bathroomstall<>internet

some college kid jumped off a bridge when his roomate posted him having gay sex.

12. Classic

Classic Member

His family must have money.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This makes me uneasy.

So insults on Facebook are Libel? :eek:

I wonder how long before the PEOPLE OF WALMART
    start suing people because of those emails going around

Rocket River

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Children are not precious little treasures, and insults on the internet are not "libel."

15. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

It is certainly possible for a statement on Facebook, Twitter, or even on here to be libel, but there are defenses of truth, that the statement was a matter of opinion, etc.

I have not seen much case law on it yet, but we will soon as cases are being filed. Facebook and Twitter will escape liability, but the person who makes the statement can be held liable.

16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

From the article:

The thread title is a little misleading (not necessarily intentionally.) I think distributing hundreds of printed copies during lunch break elevates it way above a post on Facebook. If this had happened before facebook or before the internet at all, similar result IMO.

That doesn't mean that some people won't try to arrest kids for what they say on FB in the future. Hand-wringing about criminal prosecution for a FB post isn't really relevant in this case though.

17. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

What that kid did was wrong but not illegal. The idea of him being prosecuted is totally ridiculous.

Are we now at the point that if you post something on the internet it has to be factual and non-offensive? That would make everyone on this BBS guilty of slander.

TMAC Sucks Dong! (Sue me Tracy!)

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Those boys should have kept "The List" out of the hands of the girls.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't know about disorderly conduct but he can get hit with libel. When you call a person something negative like being slut or bisexual and they are not, its libel. Its pretty clear cut especially since these kids are private citizens.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This whole thing is . .. . odd to me. I am trying to figure it out.
    It is like. . i know he did something wrong . .but question is
    Should he be punished?
    and . . if so . . .
    How to punish him?

ASIDE: We worrying more about 'This Poor Guy' than the 50 girls he drug through the mud.

Rocket River