1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ted's son wants to sell his DNA?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TroyBaros, Jul 6, 2002.

1. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

This is a sad case................It is bad enough he passed on...

Hall of Famer Ted Williams Dies at 83
    Funeral Services for Williams On Hold as Plans Disputed
    Son Might Want to Freeze Ex-Red Sox

.c The Associated Press

CRYSTAL RIVER, Fla. (July 6) -- No funeral services are planned for Ted Williams, his attorney said Saturday, as a dispute arose over the plans for the remains of the baseball great.

Williams died Friday in a hospital near his home in west-central Florida. He was 83.

"Ted Williams was a private person in life, and in death he wished to remain private,'' Eric Abel, Williams' attorney, said in a statement. "He did not wish to have any funeral or funeral services.''

Boston Red Sox officials said Saturday they have tentatively scheduled a memorial celebration July 22 at Fenway Park, Williams' home field for 19 seasons.

On Saturday, Williams' estranged daughter accused her half brother, John Henry Williams, of planning to cryogenically freeze their father's body and preserve his DNA, perhaps to sell in the future.

Barbara Joyce Williams Ferrell, in a story first reported by the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald, said John Henry first brought up cryogenics after Williams' open-heart surgery in 1991.

"He said the way they're going with medical science and DNA, we could freeze dad's body, or we can freeze his head,'' Ferrell said. "He said, we could sell the DNA.

"I told him (Dad's) against cryogenics. It is very immoral. I said I was against it and I would stand against it.''

John Henry Williams did not immediately return a phone message Saturday.

Abel refused to confirm or deny any talk of cryogenics. He called the idea of selling DNA or cloning an "absurd proposition.''

"The Williams family members are in a period of great grieving,'' Abel said. "It is unfortunate that Barbara Joyce Ferrell has taken this moment to grab headlines.''

Ted Williams' body is at the Hooper Funeral Home in Inverness. Associate Thomas Edwards said Saturday that funeral arrangements were incomplete.

Abel asked, at the request of the Williams' family, that instead of flowers, donations be made to The Jimmy Fund, a Boston-based charity, or the Ted Williams Museum in Hernando.

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I heard that tonite to.
    Thats f*cking sick! What a b*stard of a son!

3. Old School

Old School Member

I guess Ted never heard of a will??

os

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It's sad when Ted's children think of exploiting their Dad already...

5. drapg

drapg Member

Umm... as the son of the greatest hitter in baseball history... doesn't he have ENOUGH MONEY!!!! I doubt he's lacking for cash to the point that he would need to do something as disrespectful as this.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Money can buy anything. . . . including one's sense of decency

Rocket River