1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by The Real Shady, Sep 30, 2014.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

O'B has hitched his wagon to Fitz and I think its gonna take an injury to unass him from that spot. As a first year coach he is just trying to be "respectable" all be it mediocre and boring.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's "hitched his wagon" to him for maybe a year, he's a stop-gap till either Savage is ready or the Texans draft a QB that is going to be that guy for the future. Looking at the rookie QB class, it looks like he made the right move passing on them.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Will you be surprised if Fitz is back starting next year? I wont.

4. baubo

baubo Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but what is it about 242 yards on 42 attempts a good game? 5.8ypa is pretty crappy. EJ Manuel was benched for having a 6.4ypa. Fitzpatrick had 6.5ypa against the Titans and everyone thought he had a terrible game.

I desperately wanted the Texans to draft Bridgewater on draft day. But even I find his play so far to be underwhelming as far as a player people used to rate possibly going #1 in the draft. Still take him over XSF, but don't believe we missed out on the next Russell Wilson here.

5. Buck Turgidson

Maybe, maybe not, but anyone that's still really excited about any of these muppets has an agenda.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would be at least a little surprised, but I guess it could happen. That said, no one thinks he's "the guy", he's just a placeholder till someone better comes along. I'd hope that someone better comes along sooner rather than later.

7. Buck Turgidson

I will find new and different things to do on Sunday afternoons if that's the case.

Like rooting for the Cowboys or something almost as ludicrously drastic.

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

lol, I know i just blew some some minds with Fitz possibly starting next year but its possible. I just depressed myself.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that thought is depressing, but honestly if there isn't any QB that they deem worthy, I'd rather them truck Fitz out again rather than running out scrub rookies like Bortles, Bridgewater, Manuel, or Geno Smith year after year hoping for a miracle. Making moves for the sake of making moves is how teams go a long time with garbage. Hopefully either Savage will be ready or the Texans will have found someone they like in the draft by next year and we can put the QB situation behind us.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

A revolving door at qb with trial by fire would be much more exciting for fans than sticking with Fitz. Not gonna find that guy by running the same ol mule out there.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Tell that to the Browns, Jags, and Jets. Also, I'm not terribly worried what fans find "exciting", I want what's best for the franchise long term.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Developing QBs takes time. Very few come in ready from day one, so you suffer the growing pains with an eye towards the future more times than not.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Again we come back to Fitz being here next year if mediocrity is your thing. Would Brady have got a shot with the Pats if Bledsoe didnt get hurt? The teams you named or at least searching while the Texans are settling.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

You realize Fitzpatrick is just as bad as all of these guys, right?

Also, what's your problem with player development? Not many QB's light the world on fire when they first enter the league. But, you have to get past the bad to get to the good.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Bobby is patient when it comes to players he likes... i.e. XSF

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's also nothing but a stop gap QB, do you want the long term QB to be someone not even as good as Fitz? Hold out hope for a miracle, but when is the last time a QB looked straight up bad when he first took over the QB spot and then ended up being a good QB? I'm sure it's happened at some point in the history of the league, but holding out hope for a miracle is pretty foolish IMO.

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

You conceded in a different thread that Fitzpatrick might start games for the Texans next season.. That's not a "stop gap". But, whatever fits your narrative.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

stop·gap
    ˈstäpˌɡap/

noun: stop-gap
    a temporary way of dealing with a problem or satisfying a need.

Notice how no part of that definition dictates a time limit.

19. Remii

Remii Member

It's a microwave society and people expect rookie quarterbacks to develop faster than a frozen dinner can be warmed up...

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Ok, so let's go ahead and be more specific and throw the word "indefinite" into your "step gap" model.

Adjective: indefinite
    lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time.

So Fitzpatrick is an "indefinite stop gap"?

#awesome