1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by The Real Shady, Sep 30, 2014.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There is no conclusive evidence either way about XSF. All we have to go off on is he's been absolutely horrible this season and a liability in pass blocking. My hope is that he can at least develop into a capable NFL player. Teddy already looks like he belongs in the NFL.

Now to contrast XSF's performance lets look at Joel Bitonio OG for the Browns who was taken two picks after XSF. He's been in the starting lineup since day one, and Mel Kiper already has him as a top 5 OG in the league. Would have been nice to have that production this season out of a 2nd round pick.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/29/joel-bitonio-cleveland-browns-rookie-what-ive-learned/#

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...ewater-deserves-win-offensive-rookie-year-nfl

3. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

You know what I like Teddy and I do think the Texans should have moved up one into the first round to take him, BUT no way he deserves the OROY over Odell Beckam Jr. This writer is simply smoking crack. Two things about Beckam JR's season that put the kabash on this arguement. Over 1,000 yds receiving in the last 8 games and that is after being forced into the number one WR option after Victor Cruz got hurt. Not mention that he started the season hurt and didn't play the 1st 4 games.

As much as I like Teddy's QB game I can't agree with this writer.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree... OBJ definitely deserves ORoY award. Not only the best of an extremely talented rookie WR class but also deserving of Pro Bowl consideration.

5. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i8S9sbFvq8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SO HUMBLE, how can you not love this kid.. probably my favorite player in the nfl not on the texans.. kid was selected behind the likes of bortles and johnny manziel.. guys in his mind he knows he is better than... he could have pouted and complained. But accepted his role , worked hard and is now the franchise of the vikings

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/547506599497965568

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000440814/article/mike-zimmer-franchise-is-teddy-bridgewaters

6. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Bridgewater is one of the most accurate QBs in the league right now -- over the past month, he's posted one of the highest passer ratings in the league, despite playing back-to-back games against very good defenses on the road, behind a terrible OL. He's taking more pressure than almost any other QB and still completing most of his passes under duress (currently 2nd in the league in Acc% under pressure *for the season*, 0.1% behind Brees). Even his deep passing has improved -- over the past month he hasn't missed a single deep throw, though they've cut back on the deep shots since they lost their RT for the year.

For the last month, Bridgewater's been playing like a solid starting quarterback. Not an All Pro, but clearly better than established starters like Dalton and Stafford and Kaepernick. That's better as in better *right now*, not just better eventually.

To say (repeatedly) that Bridgewater's only showing FLASHES is to miss the point that his game has been built around consistency (unlike Carr, who's alternated great games with terrible ones, who'll mix a 50 yard completion or two in with a long stretch of incompletions/checkdowns, and whose stats are heavily tilted by several long TD drives in garbage time).

He's running an Air Coryell offense behind a terrible offensive line, reading the whole field from deep to short on most plays. He's calling many of the plays at the line -- audibled to a WR screen facing a cover zero blitz and produced a winning TD in overtime. His team has been in close games all year, basically no garbage time either way. He's playing the game on Pro, not Rookie, and he's doing really quite well, even if he hasn't set the league on fire.

More importantly, his play has improved week by week for most of the year. Dating back to the loss in Buffalo (his 3rd start), his passer rating for the season has improved every single week -- no setbacks.

It seems like you made up your mind on Teddy Bridgewater several weeks ago, and even as he's improved and become considerably more reliable and productive, you're sticking to your guns that he's nothing special, NOT YET.

But since midseason, he's tied for 6th in the league for passer rating, with Peyton Manning. Ahead of Wilson, Brady, Luck, Flacco, etc. And look where Derek Carr is on that list, and who he's ahead of.

[​IMG]

7. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

cordarelle patterson can not run routes to save his life.. smh.. teddy is a qb who throws with anticipation, when you have a guy who cant run routes that gonna obviously lead to interceptions... their was thread on patterson vs. hopkins here i believe lol.. smh patterson is a bench player at best right now.. his ceiling is a rich mans jacoby jones

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did another solid job as a game manager today despite the interception, he looks like he'll fulfill his destiny and realize his full potential as Alex Smith 2.0. Good for the Vikings.

9. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

not his fault that norv turner goes super conservative whenever they get a lead... they have a qb completing damn near 70% of his passes and then proceed to run the ball 8 straight times... wtf

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you have a game manager QB you have to play within his abilities. Expect too much from him and you get a pickfest like earlier in the year.

11. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

no i dont believe that, bridgewater throws with anticipation which means he throws to a predetermined spot to where he anticipates his recievers going to... the interceptions early in the year were mostly on patterson( who cant run routes) and was benched... if Teddy had the weapons the texans have he would have thrown for 4,000 yards this year especially under a coach like BOB... btw teddy started in week 5

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think a QB like Bridgewater ever throws for 4000 yards and I think if he tries to, his team will suffer. Again, as long as he lives within his role as game manager throwing about 25 times a game for about 200-220 yards and his team beefs up their defense and run game, they'll do well. I think he probably settles in as a QB who throws for 3200-3500 yards a season, but that's pretty solid for him.

13. what

what Member

listen, unless he becomes tom brady 2.0, (highly unlikely) you are not going to get texans fans to immediate that the texans front office made a mistake.

might as well give it a rest.

despite the fact that every major pundit has criticized the texans as making a major gaff in the draft. plus, it's only going to get worse: bortles, carr and bridgewater all look like fantastic players, and certainly look better than anybody the texans have drafted in any round last year.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh Titans fan....There is no QB from the last draft that is worth losing sleep over.

Teddy is basically Alex Smith 2.0, which is fine, but not something that you beat yourself up on missing out on.

Carr is captain checkdown just like his brother averaging a stunning 5.53 yards per attempt, but there's something to be said for being safe with the ball, which he is....but again, nothing to beat yourself up on missing out on.

Bortles has the 2nd lowest yards per attempt stat just below Geno Smith at 6.31 yards per attempt....while throwing significantly more interceptions than touchdowns. Texans fans should be happy about "missing out" on him.

15. what

what Member

I'm not trying to argue with you. You don't have perspective. I'm just glad that the titans know what they need and know how to go out and get it.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Zach Mettenberger?

17. what

what Member

Let me ask you this: what would bortles, carr, or bridgewater have to do to convince you that the texans front office made a mistake?

Just give me an example.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well for Bortles, he'd have to become an elite QB because he could only be had as the first overall pick, Teddy or Carr would have to become either first or second tier QB's for me to think that the Texans missed out and I don't see either of them being that good. Certainly things could change but no one is losing sleep over middling QB's and game managers.

19. what

what Member

Elite is subjective. I want to know numbers. You are being so vague.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By elite I mean one of the 3 best QB's in the NFL. If we want exact numbers on it, well, they change, but let's say for the sake of conversation 300+ yards per game and 100+ QB rating on the season. 30+ TD's with <10 interceptions. If any of them manage a few seasons like that (or even one), I'll think the Texans screwed up big time.