1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by The Real Shady, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think they'd make an exception for someone the caliber of Teddy Bridgewater, honestly I'm surprised they haven't inducted him already. After all, there's a segment of Texans fans who did the second he completed his first pass in the NFL.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Glad to see that you and Mick Fry both now see that Teddy Bridgewater is a great QB prospect (though honestly boys... it's a little too early to start talking Hall of Fame, doncha think).

I also reckon that despite all the worries about his pro day, his weight, his hands/gloves, and (this one seems laughable right now), his football smarts... Bridgewater has not only established himself as a rookie QB, but is starting to establish himself as a NFL quarterback. The stats are showing this, and more important, the people that actually watch him play are reporting this.

But sure, there are always a small number of folks that will continue to have lingering doubts. And who knows, he may have setbacks next season, so I am sure doubters will be quick to remind folks about how they were right all along.

But my bet... he will continue to develop (as he did through college) and MIN will add more talent around him. Then maybe your calls for the Hall of Fame will be more on point...

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ted is not even the best to come out this year yet he has a following who want to build him up.I dont get the love is all im saying. Wheres the Carr groupies at?

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Whether Bridgewater or Carr is the best rookie QB is a reasonable debate. based on what I have seen of each, I would still say Bridgewater, but I can see the argument for Carr.

That said, this discussion is about Bridgewater, who very early on was an early favorite to be a 1-1 pick for the Texans ("play dead for Ted"). Then all the doubters chimed in with questions about size, hand size, deep arm strength, "smarts" and his pro day added to the questions.

The Texans passed on him at 1-1 for Clowney. So the question was... did they want him at 2-1, and if they did... did they play it too cute and miss out on the chance to trade up (losing only a #4). That question will be over the Texans for years.

Early this past season, the doubters were able to post their "told ya so's". As the season progressed, those who liked Bridgewater were able to make their argument with the play on the field. And these last four games gave the supporters a much stronger argument.

Getting back to Carr, I think if his brother didn't play for the Texans he would have been a serious consideration. Unfair to Derek, but I am sure it was a factor.

5. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Derek Carr only beats Teddy is passing td's and passing yards... and thats only because he had more reps... Carr started since week 1, and Bridgewater started from week 5

Teddy beats carr is every category from accuracy to yards per attempt to total qbr

Passer rating, past 4 weeks:

Romo 122.6
    Eli Manning 109.1
    Ryan 107.9
    Bridgewater 105.8
    Wilson 103.2
    Brees 102.2
    Roethlisberger 99.7

keep in mind

6. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

edit.. keep in mind that teddy has had 2 of his td's wiped away from bs calls that ruled out at the 1 yard line, if not for those calls teddy passer rating the past 4 weeks wou;d be a 118

7. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

There was plenty of consternation earlier this season about Bridgewater's inaccuracy on deep balls and whether he had the arm to consistently throw downfield in the NFL. The rookie didn't have to try any 40-yard shots Sunday, but in recent weeks, he has hit the 15-to -20-yard throws often enough that the question about Bridgewater's downfield accuracy is essentially dead.

Bridgewater completed six of seven throws that traveled 10 yards or more Sunday, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He accumulated 130 yards and a touchdown on those throws and was perfect in both his passer rating (158.3) and QBR (100.0) when he threw at least 10 yards. Bridgewater's longest ball of the day was 25 yards, but he continued to connect on the intermediate throws that are so vital in offensive coordinator Norv Turner's scheme.

The past four weeks, Bridgewater has hit 65.4 percent of his throws of at least 10 yards, which is the highest completion percentage in the league over that stretch. His completion percentage when throwing at least 15 yards also leads the league, and it's even more impressive -- 76.5 percent. And 20-plus yards? Bridgewater's completion percentage is tops in the league there too -- he's gone 6-for-9 on such throws for 190 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Now, it should be noted no QB who has started the past four weeks has tried fewer throws of 15 yards or more than Bridgewater, who has attempted just 17. But the Vikings' pass protection issues and their search for bona fide deep threats have plenty to do with that, as well. The rookie will need to get more comfortable going down the field frequently, and he'll need to maintain his accuracy over higher volumes of those throws. But the Vikings coaches who staunchly defended the rookie when he was missing deep throws earlier this season -- Turner, head coach Mike Zimmer and quarterbacks coach Scott Turner -- appear to have been vindicated.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who are his big named receivers?

Rocket River

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

31 year old Greg Jennings with 697 yards. The Vikes can help him by grabbing a WR in round 1, or maybe AJ leaves the Texans to finally go play for a real QB in Minnesota. :)

10. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I mentioned earlier, the Texans goal the morning of the draft was the draft Clowney and trade up for Bridgewater in the 1st round. That is coming from a certifiably, rock solid source from very high up the Texans organization. My only theory as the draft was taking place is that the Texans got greedy and thought they could wait until the 2nd round. Their perceived biggest competition was the Cleveland Browns and when Johnny Manziel dropped to the 20's, the Texans thought they were home free. That part is my own speculation. What isn't speculation is that the Texans wanted Bridgewater and the goal the morning of the draft was to trade up and get him.

That is what makes this whole ordeal so infuriating. The Texans targeted and knew who they wanted and didn't pull the trigger. That lack of conviction and follow through is unacceptable. You don't get cute when you identify the QB you want and you have a chance to pay the price (a small price at that. i.e. Louis Nix) to get him.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Thankfully it worked out for the best, Teddy hasn't been anything special thus far and the Texans can go forward with Mallett and if they want to draft another QB they can do so this year.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If you think you're better off with Xavier, well that's just nuts.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has been the best rookie QB this year (You can maybe make a case for Carr). He has gotten better during the year. His QB rating every 4 game stretch has been better. I am guessing every GM in the league would take TB over mallet at this point.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd much rather XSF than to have spent that pick on a place holder QB, we already have 2 of those. It's likely that Chris Myers is gone this offseason and Ben Jones will be sliding over to the center spot leaving a hole at guard for XSF.

15. Mr. Clutch

Could be a long term starting QB vs a bust

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how that really makes much of a difference, Geno Smith is arguably the best QB from the draft before last. Being the best of a poor draft class doesn't make you good. Even if I conceded that "every GM in the league would take TB over Mallett at this point", which I don't agree with, it still doesn't mean that he'd be the answer for anyone at the QB position. He'd just be another place holder till the team found a real QB.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree with both points. I don't think Teddy Bridgewater is a long term starting QB and I don't agree that XSF is a bust.

18. CrashTheBoards

This. It is because they have never seen a good one so they dont know how to spot a good qb. Not trading for him was a huge mistake. This organization needs to hire a daryl morey.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, it has been what? 6 seasons since Houston had the league leading passer in the NFL...

LOL, in all seriousness though I agree that a large portion of Texans fans have no clue what a good QB looks like, hence why there are so many of them that have become Vikings fans over a draft crush.

20. Mr. Clutch

Do you know what a good draft pick looks like?

When you're optimistic about Clowney, X, Fiedo and Nix then maybe not.