1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

If you feel this way what is your solution for the Texans at QB? Schaub? Keenum? Other FA? or late Draft pick?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd pick Clowney in the first to help build a beast pass rush and then go with a QB either in the 2nd or 3rd round and make sure to pick a NT. Build the defense and find a "good enough" QB, basically the Seattle/San Francisco route.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Just pluck a russell wilson from thin air ... Afterall , Russell Wilson's grow on trees.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Essentially, yes. Exactly that.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

After watching enough film, I disagree with this assessment and Im sure that the combine will prove that Bortles has the stronger arm out of these three QBs.

RG3's problem was the fact that he would take way too many hits. He just didnt understand that sometimes throwing the ball away and not getting popped is a career saving thing. My fear for Manziel is the same thing. Im worried that he may just hold on a bit too long, and in the NFL, the speed of the game will not allow for QBs to get too cute behind the LOS.

Most scouts weigh the ability to translate into a pro style offense more than the SOS. No questions Manziel played the harder schedule of the 3 QBs, but its his ability to translate to a given system that is in question. His play this year has eased some concerns, but there are still legit concerns. Manziel in the right system can thrive, but Im not sure if the Texans have that personnel. Bridgewater on the other hand could. He has the ability to play within the pocket, play action roll outs to the left and right, shotgun, pistol, and has a sneaky deceptive speed(ala Russell Wilson).

Once again, I firmly believe that the Texans should get an identity. By having JJ Watt as the best overall player on our team, the Texans should make sure to build around him. The defense should be this teams identity. While drafting Clowney in itself wont be enough, it is gonna significantly increase team defensive speed. That opposing QB is now gonna have to account for two fierce pass rushers, and their ability to get to them a half second quicker. If JJ Watt is a one man wrecking crew that offenses have to game plan against, adding a Clowney is just gonna make their problem even worse. In the NFL, that defines a defense. The addition of Clowney in my opinion allows the defensive line to automatically be the team's strength. The 49ers and Seahawks have given this team a blueprint for defensive success, and we have enough personnel to get it done. On offense, our team has many more pressing issues:(QBs, Age of AJohnson, running game, OLine, Tight Ends, slot receiver). If the Texans wanna be able to compete for the AFC South crown next season, they improve what may be the easier problem to fix right now...and that would be the defense.

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

why even waste a pick on a QB? wilson doesnt do much right? go all defense in the draft and let one of the qbs already on the roster takeover..

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You have a fantastic point. I absolutely agree with this. We need to set our defense as the base of our team, the only problem with that is that I don't feel like we have the right players, at the time, to meet those expectations (Niners/Seahawks level D).

I highlighted the most important piece of your post. Clowney is just not going to be enough to make this work for this Texans team. I also feel that you can sacrifice not using the 1.1 overall pick on Clowney if there is a QB that is capable of being a franchise QB in this class. Which I believe could be Teddy Bridgewater.

I could be wrong, he could be the next Rick Mirer, we just don't know for sure until he suits up against the big boys on game day. Again I generally agree with your post and if we had maybe the 1.2 or 1.3 pick I would say Clowney should be the target for sure, since more than likely the best QB (which again I think is TB) will be off the board by that time.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's a possibility too, but IMO the only QB likely to still be on the roster this year is Keenum so there would be a need to draft someone no matter what. Yates is garbage and Schaub is too expensive and he's done. I could see a scenario where Keenum was the starter day one of next year, but I think it's more likely that they'll draft someone with the intent of them being the future starter, I just doubt they'll do so with the very first pick since there isn't a slam dunk QB prospect out there.

9. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

What exactly is/was Chip Kelly's level??? Considering what was done at Penn St. given their circumstances, some could/would argue that his job there was just as impressive. You don't hire a guy to be the leader of your franchise, and then tell him "we don't think you deserve or are capable of making this pick". I do agree that he won't have complete control of the pick, but I also think this pick will be his more so than anyone else's.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

So why will(/won't) Teddy be different from some of these past Louisville QBs?

Chris Redman(2000/R3/75)
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cfb&url=%2Fcfb%2Fplayers%2Fchris-redman-1.html&div=div_passing"></script>

Dave Ragone(2003/R3/88)
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cfb&url=%2Fcfb%2Fplayers%2Fdave-ragone-1.html&div=div_passing"></script>

Stefan Lefors(2005/R4/121)
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cfb&url=%2Fcfb%2Fplayers%2Fstefan-lefors-1.html&div=div_passing"></script>

Brian Brohm(2008/R2/56)
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cfb&url=%2Fcfb%2Fplayers%2Fbrian-brohm-1.html&div=div_passing"></script>

Hunter Cantwell(2009/Undrafted)
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cfb&url=%2Fcfb%2Fplayers%2Fhunter-cantwell-1.html&div=div_passing"></script>

Teddy Bridewater(2014/R1/?)
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cfb&url=%2Fcfb%2Fplayers%2Fteddy-bridgewater-1.html&div=div_passing"></script>

Amobi Okoye - the last great Louisville hype player. :grin: We know how that worked out.

11. Remii

Remii Member

I wasn't debating why he gets hit are comparing him to Johnny. EndWorld and others constantly insist that RG3 can't take a hit. When in fact he can because he takes probably more hits on drop backs than any other quarterback and he hasn't been hurt dropping back to pass. Unlike Matthew Stafford who missed 19 games his 1st 2 years but they don't bring him up. And that could be an argument the Teddy Crew could use in his defense when people bring up his size but all they do is 5h!t on RG3 instead.

Mike Vick is a guy on the other hand who has got a majority of his injuries dropping back to pass and not when he was running unlike RG3. And that's the same for other smaller QBs like Brees and Rodgers (I believe not many injuries between the both but both had injurie(s) that were similar).

Question is if Teddy and Johnny can take hits like RG3 or Mike Vick since the body types are similar.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This really is one of the most solid posts I've seen here in a long time.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't get this argument, and I see it from time to time. Building offense and neglecting defense, or the other way around, is never a good idea. A bad offense will result in a defense playing from behind or with bad field position and on the field far too often. A bad defense results in the opposite problems. You can often help your defense more by having a credible QB and running game. Right now, the Texans have big question marks on all fronts.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's more likely that you simply misunderstand the argument. No one is suggesting "neglecting" the offense when they suggest that the Texans bulk up the defense by picking the best player in the draft instead of reaching on a QB. In this draft, you can almost certainly get a very solid QB in the 2nd or even 3rd round so there's no reason to pass on a better player.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Chip Kelly has been doing it for a while and was a big time college coach that built a big time college program and had teams ranked either near the top or at the top. Pro coaches visited him for ideas and to learn from him.

O'Brien took over a team with talent. And for all we know those young men at Penn State would have kept that team together for Joe Pa regardless of who they brought in. Everyone of them had the opportunity to leave but a majority of them stayed. I give them more credit than O'Brien.

I'm sure McNair will listen but he's crazy as hell if he would let O'Brien draft Bortles with the #1 pick.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like a Teddy Bridgewater scouting report. That's what all the TB fans tell us anyways.

Nope, that would be the scouting report of one Brian Brohm, former Louisville QB.

Brian Brohm, given that same 93 grade as Bridgewater by Scouts Inc./ESPN

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Tricksy

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's very clear that the pro-Bridgewater crowd will compare him to the better players that have walked the same path while all the Bridgewater naysayers will compare him to the busts that have walked the similar path.

It would be awesome if most of us could agree to disagree but knowing this board, that ain't gonna happen.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's all about projected value. If you think all the top QBs are reaches in the draft, then I get your argument. If you think Clowney is a sure thing, I get it. I don't think either is true, but I understand.

I have yet to hear the "2nd or 3rd round QB" that you are espousing, though. Don't be shy. Name the guy or guys you think we should spend a pick on at QB and in what round.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the top QB's in this draft are only marginally better than those that will be available later like Metternberger, Murray, Garoppolo, Boyd, Carr, Fales, or Smith. IMO this is a really deep QB class but there isn't really any top tier QB talent which is why I'd go with the better player who can help turn the Texans' defense into a monster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.