1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Will teddy Bridgewater be at the combine? Or do we have to wait until his pro day
    Or is it mandatory for him to be there. if so what drills will he do at combine. I hues we will know he's measurement in combine ?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol you're trying to compare Bridgewater to Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QBs of all time?

NEXT

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

6:38 mark and on disprove much of the knocks on Teddy.

Hand size - palming the football while scrambling for the open receiver.

Touch downfield - pin point pass to a receiver streaking downfield while throwing on the move.

No spiral downfield - delivers a strike to his receiver down the middle of the field. Perfect spiral.

The thing is that when you have a mediocre offensive line and constantly throw on the run or with heavy traffic in your face the ball tends to come out wobbly. As long as you get the pass there with accuracy that's all that matters. Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers don't always throw perfect spirals for TDs, but when they don't they still complete the pass with touch and accuracy.

It's not always about making it look pretty, it's about being able to execute the play with precision and accuracy.

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Haters gonna hate, Texans better pick Manziel.

5. Aydge

Aydge Member

This first pick is going to be Bill O'Brien's to make. That's something that would have been discussed before we hired him and I highly doubt McNair and Smith immediately overrule their newly hired HC.

Everything about Bill O'Brien and Teddy Bridgewater goes perfectly together.

When asked about what he was looking for with the first pick in the draft, BOB responded about what he wanted at every position:
    "A good team guy. We want a guy that is a hard worker, a guy that's physically tough, mentally tough, smart guy."

Team guy? Check.
    Hard worker? Check.
    Physically tough? Check. Check.
    Mentally tough? Check.
    Smart? Check.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You just described Jake Mathews, dog.

7. Aydge

Aydge Member

I just described a lot of people, actually.

I brought it up not because Teddy is the only player that fits that description, but because out of him and the other two players that are in the conversation for the #1 overall pick (Clowney and Manziel), he clearly exhibits those values more than the other two.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say this is absolutely wrong. He is as good as anybody I've ever watched throwing accurately from a full run on the roll out. His poise is also elite - as good as anybody out there. And his skill reading defenses is as developed as any QB coming out of college I've certainly seen in the last decade. He's also better than just "OK" as an athlete, though he doesn't use it much. Not the greatest ever, but definitely better than average. Call it "very good".

He has a couple of holes two, specifically size is a legitimate issue, and his arm strength is meh for NFL. Both are big holes but he is elite in a few respects.

Bortles would, to me, be the "no holes, everything kinda good" candidate. You could watch Bortles play a great great game on TV and never notice him, but there is no point where you say, "wait a minute", and have to think through a potential issue. The exact opposite is true of Bridgewater. I can't imagine watching a Louisville game and not noticing him almost right away.

#48 Ottomaton, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

This is on the basis Clowney has zero busy potential. We're assuming here this Clowney WILL be great.

Funny that when people do that with TB people have an issue but for Clowney it's A-OK!

10. TeddyB

TeddyB New Member

My biggest concern with teddy is his deep ball accuracy. Does anyone have examples of qbs who have increased their deep ball accuracy after they were drafted?

Also, how does teddy's best college season stack up to brady's, peyton manning, luck, wilson, etc. best college season?

Sorry about all the questions. I do not know where to find all of this information.

First take did an interview with teddy a while ago. They discuss how tall he is right in the beginning of the video. Teddy is most likely wearing dress shoes during the interview, so taking an inch off the height they are discussing in the video is reasonable. My guess is that teddy is 6 ft 2 in. I trust skip and steven a smith on how tall he is because they see athletes all the time. This should allow them to have a fair judgement. Hopefully that can help with the arguments about his height.

Here is the link to the first take interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELHf5TVnPnc

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

People underestimate his running ability. There are only a handful of QB's currently in the NFL that are better than him. He will definitely be in the top ten as a running QB in the NFL. Expect him to run more in the NFL than he did in college.

[​IMG]

The other holes you mention are legit areas of concern but he talked about how he has already improved in those areas and learned much better technique. I expect Bridgewater to be even more impressive. As for size I think he will come at a minimum of 6'2.5" and 215. That's more than sufficient for a kid who just turned 21. He is a late bloomer in weight coming at 170 to start college but he will grow and most pro scouts know that.

[​IMG]

The thing that separates Teddy Bridgewater is his footwork. He is so elusive. I watched everybody in college and no one comes close to the footwork. Yes Manziel is quicker but once you pressure him he is gone. Bridgewater can set and reset like no one else in college. ANd all the while he never loses focus of his recievers downfield.

[​IMG]

I watch a lot Andrew Luck and compared him to Bridgewater since he is gold standard for college QB's this decade and what I came away with is Luck is great at what he does. He is smart and makes all the right decisions but he doesn't come close to having Teddy's footwork. The biggest difference is TB is raw compared to Luck. Just watch the last game Luck played in the Fiesta Bowl and you will see for yourself.

He completed 90% of his passes. He does so many things right but rarely does he reset his feet in a drop back. He has such a quick release and he can look at multiple recievers so quick and pick out the best option and deliver it so quick before the pressure gets to him. He is very slow at reseting his feet. When the pressure comes he just tries to throw quicker which sometimes works or he runs which also works for him. But he is not as good as TB at handling pressure. Just watch TB step up and throw a strike in the heart of the defense. This is vintage Teddy footwork. Show me a video of Luck doing that.

[​IMG]

The thing is Luck has had all the right stuff, training camps father mentor. The best of the best to make him what he is. Bridgewater not. Bridgewater's more self made in that respect. Not taking anything away from his coaches but let's just be serious they are not on the same level. Teddy even said they never really showed him the right way to throw. And now he is learning at the IMG Academy.

Yeah some will minimize that and say why draft who a guy who isn't ready. But they're missing the point, TB did so much without all of that training. Without the IMG training he still had amazing accuracy. He still has the best footwork on the level of Aaron Rodgers right now. He still has a quicker release than Andrew Luck. he still has the best accuracy on the roll out in college. That's all before he got any training. He has so much to learn and he is already as good as he is.

IMO the kid has a higher ceiling than Andrew Luck coming out of college. Much higher. And that's impressive since he is not that far behind him. Don't take my word for it watch some video. Watch how slow Luck is to reset his feet and most of his throws are dropback and lock in. Watch the Fiesta Bowl, one of his best games of his career and see what I am talking about. Luck was great at what he did but compare him to Teddy and you will see Teddy is quicker and has much better footwork. That matters in the NFL and probably contributed to Lucks 5 ints he had in the playoffs.

#51 Old Man Rock, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    3 people like this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

If you don't think that Teddy B is an elite runner at the QB position, you haven't seen him play. The dude can stiff arm a LB or safety and push him back. He's deceptively strong.

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Fantastic work, Old Man Rock. For whatever reason, I can't give rep anymore. So I'll just give you a virtual fist bump.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

is this a joke? or do you really believe that? Dude is going to get RGIII'd if he tries to scramble in the NFL.

15. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Good work OMR, I think his arm strength will impressive as well.

He was already throwing with good to great arm strength before he learned to torque his lower body into his throws. Imagine that combined with 15-20 pounds of mass put on through conditioning...

16. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

He barely ran in college, it would be more along the lines of Rodgers scrambling...

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wilson runs more in the pros. I guess Luck might too but I'm not certain. Then a guy like Tannehill (who runs a 4.5) runs less in the pros. It'll depend on what system he winds up in.

You're crazy, Manziel does what Bridgewater does in the clip 3-7 times a game. I'm not saying Manziel is better, but Manziel can gather himself and make a play - and Manziel is the one that NEVER stops looking downfield. He's a master at creating off of broken plays. He even looks across the field where 95% of QB's would never think to. Manziel's downfield vision while under pressure is unmatched. He's one of the best in NCAA history.

18. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Manziel does all the stuff in a clean pocket when he doesn't have to, making it much harder than it actually is. Manziel gives the allusion of control when he is actually creates the broken plays himself.

Yes Bridgewater is a better thrower on the run than Manziel. Why?

1. He only creates when the play is truly broken
    2. Instead of forcing passes he methodically looks for the open guy
    3. Of course his accuracy on the run is better than Manziel

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

False. RG 3 proved that he probably couldn't take a hit at the next level while at Baylor (similar to JFF). These guys routintely limped around during games.

Teddy B has proved the opposite. It's almost like you don't watch college football.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree Manziel overlooks small gains in favor of making a big play and may struggle against the blitz in the pros, but there's no way to tell at this point. Just because he didn't settle for the easy dump offs doesn't mean he cant do it.

On your points...

1. So? Manziel can create in both environments.
    2. Manziel has 3 NFL WR's on his team, he has the luxury of "forcing" passes. Y'all complain about Schaub not getting the ball to Andre Johnson, now you complain about Manziel getting the ball to the most dominate redzone WR in college football.
    3. I don't agree with that at all, but Bridgewater has the bigger arm.

If you put a gun to my head right now I'm taking Bridegwater #1 overall but people are overstating Bridgewater's capabilities and making generalizations about Manziel. It's annoying.

The bottom line for me is that neither of these QB's would go very high 2 years ago. Clowney? He'd still be a top 5 pick.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.