1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I agree. The Manziel/Bortles hype is media/agent driven.

Neither are 1st round talents.

If the Texans trade down, they better draft Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins.

Clown3y will be one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Sorry.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Every mock draft out there has Manziel being drafted 4th overall at the latest. We all get that you dislike Manziel! bug you don't have to be such a troll about it.

3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Bingo, Thats also the word with the Jags at least and there are the rumors that the Raiders only will spend their pick on Bridgewater

Its going to be Geno Smith esque fall for those two. 2011 draft taught teams a good lesson about reaching, one I don't think they want to repeat

Clowney is an enigma, I can't imagine him being a complete bust but I can definitely see him having an underwhelming career and people say "eh, I thought he could have done a lot more"

4. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

They are called mocks for a reason...

5. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Bridgewater gets credit for intangibles and intelligence because he is "smarter than some might expect." That doesn't mean he's smart or possesses good intangibles. You have to watch carefully for that subtle nuance....especially when this much is at stake and you are investing this much money in a young athlete. Don't let sympathies cloud your judgment -- always be objective. He has a nice personal story and I believe he is a good, likeable person, but one must be objective when evaluating his mental makeup. I think he could be a serviceable professional player, but not an elite talent. That's not what you want from the #1 pick in the draft.

The biggest mistake that can be made in this draft is missing on the top overall pick. A miss represents a multi-year franchise setback given the dollar investment required at that draft slot.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The fact the Texans are so mum about this young man makes me think that he may actually be very high on the Texans radar...McNair loves character guys, and if there is any inclination that Teddy's interview and process during the combine goes well, he will be the #1 pick for the Texans.

I'll be ok with the pick, but as a fans of this team since inception, I just cant tolerate any more years of futility. BOBrien might fall in love with this kid.

All that being said, I dont know if I can pass on Clowney. He on tape has all the tools necessary to make our defense a top 5 team next year. Any combo of Clowney and Watt gets me more hyped than adding a piece like Bridgewater.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Bridgewater or Manziel, as long as they take one I am fine

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

blatent bigotry, your agenda filled nonsense isnt wlecome here. kick rocks.

9. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

You have no idea of his mental makeup...

Read:
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

Watch:
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/teddy-bridgewater/

10. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Bingo

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Used to be that way. While it would still suck & hurt to miss on the pick, the dollar investment isn't quite the same as before.

No more 6 year, $78 million($40 guaranteed) deals

Now in the range of 4 years, $22 mil (with a 5th year team option).

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Now this is a intelligent logical post. I disagree with it but that's because I have watched a lot of video. I mean a lot of video. I watched everything on Bridgewater and most everything on Manziel, Carr, Bortles plus some on Boyd, Metlenber#@g, McCarron, Garrapolo, Logan Thomas and even some kid from Wyoming. I even watched Famous Jameis and Mariota. And what I came away with is Bridgewater does possess those intangibles that separate him from all of those guys. And you're right you have to look at the subtle nuances, because it's in those subtle nuances that you can really see the separation.

It's not like Bridgewater is head and shoulders above all the qb's. There are faster qb's and stronger armed QB's, there are QB's that are a little more accurate and bigger QB's but Teddy Bridgewater is at or near the top in almost all categories. In footwork, pocket presence, mobility accuracy, strength, decision making, fearlessness. That's what separates him from the rest.

But here is the final nail in the box for me, Teddy Bridgewater gets better under pressure. He shines in the lights. Whether 3rd down coversions, 2 minute drills, conference important games, bowl games winning drives, when everything is on the line is when he puts his cape on.

I stopped looking at other QB's in this yearsdraft because they just don't have it all like TB and started looking at Clowney to see if he or any other college player can have the impact as TB. And CLowney's the only one close and he isn't really that close when you consider all the things outside of football.

So now I am down to looking other great college QB's and compring them to Bridgewater. Aaron rodgers, Andrew Luck, RGII, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson... he looks better than all of them except Luck. (I'm talking college)

So now I'm looking at Luck and Bridgewater and Luck is all around better but Bridgewater has some subtle nuances you talk about that make it closer than you might think. And when you consider Luck's pedigree and all of his preparation and that he was older when he left college that gap really narrows. Just watch their last cames in college and judge for yourself. But remember to look for those subtle nuances in footwork and pocket presence and handling blitzes and pressure.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HyvG8w3wT5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9kTkH4Nrg2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good lord, dude. Did you stop watching football like 3 years ago? Money ain't nearly as big an issue any more.

Go do your homework.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Clowney will not be a bust with Watt as his running mate.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

You of all shouldn't say anything about over posting and the negatives you speak of are correctable just like with Manning ,Luck any many other elite QB's some time you have to go for it this young man maybe the answer to a lot of QB problems with the Texans.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You mean like the rest of the Texans' D this year? Yea JJ sure instilled a winning culture on that lot.

The sad fact of the matter is that one person on defense just does not have the impact that the QB would have. You could have three JJ Watts in various spots on the team, but in total that still would not give you the boost that having a Brady or Rodgers would.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one on the Texans besides Watt have anywhere near the talent level of Clowney so your first sentence is ridiculous.

As to a team with "3 JJ Watts", they'd be pretty much impossible to block leading to Brady or Rodgers being under constant pressure. Neither would have a good game, you saw what happened to Manning....

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like Bridgewater. I think he would be a very good choice at QB for this team. The thing is, Manziel, Boyd, Carr would also be good choices and there is a very good chance that 1 or 2 of the three will be around in the second. So it would be a better idea to draft Clowney or trade down.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Pretty much my thoughts.

1A. Bridgewater
    1B. Manziel

2.Trade down.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Or Clowney or Bortles. :) Just saying those four guys seem to be getting all the attention.

And one of them would still be there at the 4th, but which one?

13 days until the combine, BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.