1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater or Bust

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with your evaluation of those three and yes I do think Wilson "rode the coattails" to a large extent. He was still a quality game manager though, something I'm not certain Manziel is capable of which is why I don't like it when the two are compared to each other. Manziel does not protect the ball very well and is prone to making stupid pass attempts, he got away with quite a bit of that this year, but he wouldn't get away with that in the NFL. Even in college, how many interceptions did he throw in the end zone this year? I remember at least 3. They'll kill you for that in the NFL.

As I see it, Manziel is flashy, but dangerous with the ball, does not have an NFL QB frame, is not a great or even good passer for the NFL level, and is a distraction off the field. Someone will pick him, but it'll be a disaster. He doesn't have the arm to be a "real" QB and he isn't smart enough and he doesn't protect the ball well enough to be a game manager.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Would have repped for pun if you had used another Hawaii QB instead of Nick Florence.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Don't see how you can say Russell is the only successful one out of those QBs when RG3 carried his team to the playoffs as a rookie and Kaepernick was in the super bowl last year and in the NFC championship this year.

Cam falls into that group as well and guess what...??? He was in the playoffs this year as well.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Given the offensive system that BoB will implement here, Bridgewater would be the best fit. To me, Manziel is simply too much of a wild card both on and off the field. The biggest difference between the two lies in flash - Manziel has had the flashiest career (on and off the field) and since he played for A&M, more folks here are familiar with him than Bridgewater.

But when I look at what just worked in the SB, I have to admit that given the choice between flash and boring consistency, I want the latter. Wilson reminds me a lot of Troy Aikman - steady, consistent and efficient. That's what I believe we should be looking for in a QB and in my mind, the closest QB to this in the draft would be Bridgewater.

5. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Actually the guy I directly replied to was arguing with that. Kaeperknick's "meh" season ended up with an NFC Championship appearance, and obviously RG3 has had injury issues but I was more replying to the guy who was scoffing at playmaking in general and pointing out RG3's initial success.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now this may be out of left field, but Matt Cassel has just voided his contract and become a FA. I think the odds are good that he'll want to re-join the man that made him look competent in Houston.

If that happens, the Texans won't want a first round QB, so the choices are either trade back or Clowney.

I think in a perfect world, the Browns fall in love with a QB and want to trade their #4, #26, and #35 for #1.

With those picks we get Clowney if he's still there with 4, Nix at 26, ASJ at 33, and then either a QB prospect, a safety, an OT, or LB at 35.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Just stop. Please.

Cassel is awful.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not the point at all. He wouldn't have made himself a FA unless there was somewhere he wanted to go and been fairly sure that place would have him, I think that place is Houston. Do I want him here? Not at all, but I think the odds are very good that it happens.

9. htown1984

htown1984 Member

What.. Really.. your saying because he became a FA he wants to come to Houston..
    You sound worse than the Media guys trying to hype Bortles to the Texans because he beat Penn State and OB is our coach now.. give it a rest already..

Are you going to reply to everything with A I dont want Teddy sense.. We get it Already. Man combine and draft cant come soon enough..

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If I signed any veteran QB (Cassel would be kind of far down on my list), I'd try to trade back and pick up three picks this year and a nice pick (1st or 2nd round) next year. I'd draft something like Kahlil Mack (move Reed to the inside), one of the defensive tackles (Nix or Aaron Donald), grab a good corner and an offensive lineman. In the third round, I'd take Jimmy G. He's the perfect gamble project with potentially high reward. The extra picks would make it so that it wouldn't be a back breaker if he was no good.

Of course if Teddy or Johnny fell, you'd grab them with that first pick.

11. Remii

Remii Member

I don't like it but you make sense... But even if they did sign Cassel, that doesn't mean they wouldn't draft a quarterback in the 1st. McNair did say he didn't want to throw a rookie out there and O'Brien might not either.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They certainly could, I just think it would be a lot less likely that they would draft one in the first if they picked up a vet. I'm not a fan of this plan, but Cassel did have his only success with O'Brien calling the plays so who knows what he's thinking

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He'd be a great mentor to TB or Bortles.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, but I think if they bring him in, it'll be a later round QB like Mett, Murray, Garoppolo, or whatever. I think it's unlikely that they'd bring in a vet and then still use the top pick on a QB.

15. Anticope

Anticope Member

Hahahaha you're serious?! You think they're going to sign an awful QB like Matt Cassel and then let that influence where they draft a QB? Thanks for the laugh I needed it.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you think they are going to sign a vet familiar with the scheme, then use a top pick in the draft on a guy to sit behind that "awful QB"? I'm not arguing that Cassel is a good or even decent QB, but if the Texans sign him, it's so they don't feel like they have to start a rookie QB. It's much more likely that if they brought in a vet, they'd draft a QB in a later round and use the vet QB as a sort of a stopgap while they were getting that rookie up to speed. If you draft a QB first overall, he has to be your day 1 starter or you wasted the pick.

17. Breaker

Breaker Member

^we think you're a joke bobby

Just like the real world.

Please tell me he's trolling and isn't really that stupid

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, I doubt you think at all.

19. Anticope

Anticope Member

If they let signing Matt Cassel have any influence on who they take in the draft, then we are in for another 5 years of futility. I mean, seriously, Matt Cassel? Why don't we just keep Schaub instead? At least it'll be a level of sucktitude that we are already familiar with.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

26 million reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.