1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tech] Microsoft Event (6-18-2012)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 18, 2012.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Lol Android is funding surface...

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Over the life of xbox 1 and 2 they have lost an absurd amount of money on it.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

They will have a home run IF there are plenty of APPS when Windows 8 release this Fall. My biggest complain right now is Metro start screen is a mess. They need to find a way to separate Metro Apps starting in Metro start screen vs desktop Apps. There are a bunch of garbage to clean up in the Metro Start screen if you install desktop applications.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2012/Oct12/10-16announcementPR.aspx

Microsoft Announces New Surface Details

Oct. 17, 2012

Ahead of Oct. 26 launch, Microsoft outlines pricing, market availability and special limited quantity pre-order

REDMOND, Wash. — Oct. 16, 2012 — Microsoft Corp. today released new details about its highly anticipated Microsoft Surface, a tablet PC designed to be the ultimate stage for Windows. In addition to pricing and market availability, the company announced a special limited-quantity pre-order for Surface with Windows RT available 9 a.m. PDT. Those who want to learn more or pre-order can visit http://www.Surface.com.

Surface delivers the power of amazing software and the feel of premium hardware in one exciting experience. Originally unveiled in June, Surface with Windows RT will initially be available in three SKUs: a 32GB version priced at US$499, a 32GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover priced at US$599, and a 64GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover priced at US$699.

A variety of accessories will also be available, including Touch Covers in five vibrant colors — black, white, magenta, cyan and red — priced at US$119.99 so customers can express their personal style (1). Customers will also have the option to purchase a Type Cover in black for US$129.99, which adds moving keys for a more traditional typing feel.

6. Dei

Dei Member

Don't buy Surface. Buy the Surface like tablets from Asus instead. Those will come with keyboard docks that have batteries. I've heard battery life with the docks reach near 20 hrs for the non-Pro.

7. Air Langhi

499? Who do they think they are?Apple. They need to price it at 199 or they will have a failure on their hands.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So for the same price as a 16 GB iPad you can get a 32 GB Surface that comes loaded with MS Office. Not bad, but I was also hoping for a lower price to grab people's attention.

9. Air Langhi

Or you can get a laptop for less, and you can get office for 10 bucks if you have a corporate job.

I think I saw some 3 lb >1in laptops at walmart going for like 550. Those things run full blown windows.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This IE 10 commercial is pretty awesome:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lD9FAOPBiDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Crazy price IMO. Don't see how it will be very successful at $899.

Am I overreacting by asking if MS is out of their mind?

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If they under-price it it gives off the wrong perception that it's cheap. I like the pricepoint. Go head to head with apple, you made a good device, don't back down. If anything, the OEMs should try and take what microsoft has done and then they should undercut microsoft's pricepoint...

If it's anything like the surface RT it will be amazing. The surface RT is leaps and bounds ahead of the iPad in a lot of ways and it's the same pricepoint as the iPad. How often can you say I can use the real MS office on an iPad, or I can run flash, or I can run iPad apps on my desktop? The Surface Pro will have nifty reasons like that as well to put it ahead of the MBA.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A 2 pound touch screen ultrabook for 900 bucks is pretty decent. It's more like a macbook air on steroids than an Ipad.

16. MystikArkitect

Comparing an iPad to a Surface Pro is like comparing a Leap Frog to an Ipad.

Microsoft doing it right by (trying to) bridge the gap between PCs and tablets. Android following suit with Chromebook.

Does anyone know if Apple intends on linking iOS and OSX at any point in the future or will they remain two separate OSes?

17. SunsRocketsfan

pro version might be an interesting alternative to the ultrabooks but surface RT is becoming a HUGE FLOP

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

i thought about buying it but couple of things held me back
    1. the price. pssh 500+more for the cover? no thanks

2. windows 8. granted it might be better on the touchscreen but eh. i am back on 7 now and don't plan on upgrading back until they get their act together.

3. apps. especially with the RT one..if for 500 bucks i can only run those full screened apps (which there are not a lot of right now) why bother.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This is sort of a baseless claim. Microsoft has been (as how they always are) clandestine about a lot of their sales numbers. Balmer said it was under performing, but truth be told without true context that's meaningless as well. I can say the surface has been selling out in Europe and from time to time you cannot purchase the $499 version here in the states. I think as Windows 8 becomes more prevalent you will see a lot of people getting a surface in place of an iPad, especially with the resurgence of Windows Phone with WP8. All in all, I think it's too close to call right now. It would be like calling the WII U a flop, it's too early in the game.