1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tech] Microsoft Event (6-18-2012)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

does anyone this is actually designed by nokia? i dont know..it kinda has nokia written all over it. even the keyboard colors.

weren't there some rumors about nokia announcing a tablet running win RT in june?

2. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

a freaking USB!!!!!! Its the simple things.....

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hence.....the problem.

The one with the Ivy bridge processor is a laptop....price...$800-$1000. At that price...get me a MacBook Air.

The one with the ARM processor will not be better than the iPad in Screen Resolution, battery life, ecosystem.....graphics (most likely). Price $500-$700.

This is MICROSOFT, remember.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

It's a tablet running a full operating system with an amazing specs. This will definitely replace the big laptop market share because it's more portable than a laptop with a hard keyboard.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Eh, no price or battery life info unfortunately. Looks like the pro (the only thing really interesting IMO) will be priced more for the Ultrabook/MacBook Air market. It'd be a tougher decision at that point between the three.

If the Windows RT tablets are in any way successful, it could be an iPad competitor.....and a real serious problem for the Android tablet market.

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

There were no laptops at the beginning of computers. :grin:

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Which is great because it can easily edit Word, Powerpoint and Excel files.

Both models have pretty massive batteries.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can see this working for the pro version, and replacing existing windows based laptops. Which is a good thing for MS because they are taking hardware share from Dell, HP, whatever.

As is, I already have a larger second screen and wireless keyboard and mouse that i hook my laptop up to. The laptop is there for the portability, to take it back and forth from work/home, on trips, etc.

In the same way, I can definitely see this working. Even more portable, lighter, etc. And the company paid for the laptop anyway.

To the extent it also does everything the ipad does anyways, then that'd be great. That would mean great battery life, screen resolution, app market, ease of use.

I see them trying to marry personal and professional.... but they might be too late to the party... for me anyways. We switched to Apple fully at home 5 or 6 years ago.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It will work for both versions and I don't see it replacing anything. It will just reduce or eliminate the gaps in performance vs ergonomics vs portability. You will have an much larger selection of choices in between to personally fit your needs. Phones/tablets moving from the bottom up and Ultrabooks moving from the top down this looks like a continuation.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, part of the deal with Barnes and Noble is that Microsoft wants their products sold in their college bookstores. Can you imagine being a student and getting that pro version at a discount?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Interestingly, the RT version comes with Office Home & Student edition.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If this thing comes out soon, I may consider it. I have to buy a laptop, and soon (my school starts August 20th). My uses almost enable me to go tablet, but I'd feel more comfortable with a laptop. I'm cheap and wouldn't want to spend in the ultrabook range, though, so I'm probably out.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You don't need to upgrade to Windows 8. In fact I'd completely avoid it until the first service pack comes out anyway.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

If this thing ends up being all that it is looking like it might be, I will pick one up at launch.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As an original ipad buyer, I'm definitely getting one of these if it doesn't suck battery wise.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Only wish it had a higher res screen. Once you get spoiled and use to the ipads retina display all other displays look fuzzy and crappy. Other than that this looks promissing

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WOW! That thing looks awesome. That cover / keyboard looks damn near perfect.

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SpltjgXMTf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder how good the games will be?
    will they have Halo or Gears or Forza?

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That would kill. If it could run Xbox games, it would take a big chunk out of the tablet market.