1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tech] Microsoft Event (6-18-2012)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 18, 2012.

1. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

no xbox talk!

2. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

That digital Ink is cool but it will still be laggy. They need to get this out and hopefully soon. This is a must have for touchscreen.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vOvQCPLkPt4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Pricing on this thing is going to be upwards of $900, at least for the Windows 8 Pro one. Amazing stuff though, can't wait to see hands-on videos on this.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I guessed they are really aiming at students. Definitely they have a winner here.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think it could also be seen as a really attractive alternative to the iPad for the enterprise market as well.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

This is Microsoft. Price will start at $600 - $700, especially with an Ivy Bridge Processor in there.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There's going to be 2 versions. One version, the RT, runs on ARM and the other, the Windows 8 Pro, on Intel.

According to C|Net :

Microsoft says pricing information will be available later, but that pricing will be comparative to competing ARM tablets and ultrabook laptops.

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

One thing for sure is that they really need to get their APPS together by release date. I'm using Windows 8 right now and I have totally no interest of going to the start screen on my Desktop. The switching of APPS for the PC desktop totally suck now with the Release Preview/Release Preview because they took out that drag and swipe from the side with your mouse to switch APPS was pretty cool in their developer preview. But I can see how attractive this is for AN-ALL-IN-ONE Touchscreen desktop for my nephews or nieces.

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

Apple forced Microsoft to step their game up. Looks like they have.

11. cod

cod Member

Kind of funny MS will have a RISC based laptop/desktop while Apple are now using CISC processors.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I see this as more of a evolution of the Ultrabook than a iPad rival. My tablets are mostly web borwsers and toys, this thing would make it possible to leave the X301 at home sometimes.

I miss PowerPC

13. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I want one now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. ItsMyFault

If everything pans out with hands-on tests and it's a reasonable enough price, I may pick one up.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Looks very promising - really closing the gap between tablets and laptops. If Microsoft built Win8 to (finally) be sharp regarding system resources, this could be a huge hit. I'd like to think they learned their lesson from wedging resource hog Vista onto underpowered netbooks.

16. Garner

Garner Member

sooo what does this thing do the iPad doesnt?

17. cod

cod Member

A desktop OS

18. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Important things

19. ItsMyFault

Can't really compare this to the iPad. It wouldn't be fair to the iPad. This thing is much more powerful, its closer to a ultra book laptop than a tablet IMO from all that's been presented.

20. what

what Member

Great another tablet. I don't understand how this is a NEW product. You guys are marveling over the full keyboard when laptops have had a full keyboard since the beginning of computers.

LOL