1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tech] How Does Google Know?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I happen to be looking at a radar mosaic for San Joaquin Valley, CA, and I decide to search for one of the towns on the mosaic - Paso Robles. I open a new tab and begin to type the name but not before I could get the space after Paso does Google have Paso Robles as the first instant search term.

Did they mine the other page, and figure out I was looking at a CA map of the area. Creepy.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yes, they did. and it isn't really creepy to me. Google using my recent history to provide better service for me is what I want. I could always turn off history if I wanted.

That said, they better use it "in place" and not save it on their servers. btw: you can test whether they store your history by switch to a different browser between searches. Also, it might not work in incognito mode. At least, it better not.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Google knows secrets about us that we don't even know.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

ClutchFans ads know what I'm searching for while incognito...

6. heypartner

hmmm,,,I guess the active Sessions still support assisting your searches. What about if you close the browser and reopen?

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Most overused word in the English language

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I've asked the same question about magnets. No one really knows how it works either.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clearing your entire cache generally removes "personalized" ads.

I use Adblock and ghostery extensions for desktop, but I still get creepy ads from places I visited months ago for mobile

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Does Google keep track of us across devices?

11. heypartner

No. It has to have access to the browser memory. Each device would be a completely different browser Session, as if you loaded both IE and Firefox on your desktop. Since two browsers don't share info, Google wouldn't know the searches belong to you. It is the browser that knows you history, and google just taps into that per browser per device.

As in my first post, I say that because that's the way it has always been. For it to know across browsers and devices, it would have to store that info on its servers. Google should not be storing any history on their servers that they would track via your IP address (or something similar). But maybe if you are logged into Google, that would be an option you can turn on and off.

Again, you can test this easily, as well.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If Google wanted to "be evil", they could track everything through metadata, but if that was the case,I think more employees would rebel our openly complain about it.

Who knows though. Facebook is latching onto anything it can get it's hands on and their employees seem pretty quiet about it.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You getting all those bbw lagtina ads popping up on CF's?

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It knows me that well, when I type in "Paso" it immediatey says "Did you want to write 'p*rn HD videos' instead?". Scary stuff.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Jokes on you suckers. I use Bing.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Single Asian women ads

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Mine shows ads for quantum mechanics and other related academic stuff because I'm such an intellectual.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If your devices are logged into google, then yes, they do. Google allegedly doesnt keep track of search history outside of that.

I have all my devices logged into chrome, which allows me to share search history, bookmarks and other things across the board. Its a very nice feature.

I then use Firefox as my work/business. (ie: nothing that would embarrass me around the wrong people).

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

it does seem weird that the "instant search suggestions" are always what i was going to search next.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A few weeks ago I was talking to a coworker about Discount Tire. I later went back up to my office and started to look at CF on my phone and there was a Discount Tire ad front and center.

And I definitely havn't visited that site or shopped for tires in well over a year.