1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Tech Help] External HDDs w/ Cloud

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Duncan McDonuts, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm looking for an external HDD to backup some files, preferably with these capabilities:

1. Can remotely access the files over the internet similar to cloud or Dropbox
    2. Can auto-backup designated folders periodically

First one is a priority. Second one is a convenience. I've heard terms like NAS and RAID thrown around, but not exactly sure on what they are or do. And with Black Friday coming up, I figure I can get a decent deal on something to do this, I just don't know what I need.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Thanks for the reply. I had already ended up buying a 2-bay QNAP NAS. Still haven't figured out how to set up the cloud because I can't access it from a remote network. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computer networks.

But, I also bought a 1 TB WD Ultra Passport, that works with Dropbox. So, maybe that'll be easier.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You probably have to open up your network to external traffic. You can configure a port for remote access. I understand it can be a bid tedious and confusing if you aren't good with networking. Dropbox will definitely be easier.

I have a NAS, FTP server, and router accessible from outside my network. Pretty much just involves port forwarding and using a dynamic dns service so I don't have to use an IP address consistently