1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teams that don't make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Apr 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah, who knows, we maybe could have picked up the next Joel Pryzbilla for 3 years with that 14 spot.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

None of these teams have a superstar. But Yao might become one!

3. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

There's Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson, Antawn Jamison, Troy Murphy?, Nene Hilario, Tskitishvili maybe, Pau Gasol, Elton Brand, Andre Miller, Lamar Odom, Michael Jordan, Jerry Stackhouse, Glenn Robinson, Jason Terry, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Jalen Rose, Jay Williams, and Dajuan Wagner. :D Ricky Davis too. ;) Zydraunas Ilggauskajas

I hope Yao will become a superstar.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Just a quick question, which of these teams were above .500 2 out of past 3 seasons????

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well first off, the Rockets are only in the list because of injury ('00, '02) and bad luck ('01, '03). Bad luck meaning they had a good enough record to get in most years. Blaming the coaching staff or the organization for missing the playoffs for 4 years is a joke. You are implying that they SHOULD have been in the playoffs during those years. We all know that isn't the case. They should be COMMENDED for getting back to respectability so quickly after having all their stars retire.

GATER, you may be making fun of me, but you're right. None of those teams had a legendary, or even a great player fall into their laps.

heypartner touched on the coaching issue. What I was looking for also was, how often do these teams change around their personnel? I would be willing to bet that these teams constantly have new lineups each year. They presumably keep getting all these great draft picks every year, but they go nowhere. And what are people wanting the Rockets to do? Get new players and a new coach. I'm not saying that if that happens, the Rockets are going to turn into one of those teams. But constantly making coaching and roster changes seem to be characteristics that these teams share.

Another point is this. For people who like to slam the coaches and front office, the Rockets are obviously doing something right. In the past four years, when they haven't been decimated by injury, they've had playoff-caliber records. That's something those other teams can't even come close to saying. Most of those teams have had many more chances in the lottery than the Rockets, yet it doesn't seem to make a difference. That is a testament to either the organization's ability to draft and acquire the right pieces, or the coaching staff's ability to get more out of similar talent.

An important fact is that outside of Denver, the Rockets are YOUNGER than ALL of those teams.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heypartner, I was wondering what YOU would suggest the Rockets do, assuming we keep Rudy as head coach. I don't think there is anyone out there that loves Rudy being on the sidelines jumping up and down, waving his arms... or sitting on the bench shaking his head, running his fingers through his thinning hair (and little wonder!) more than I do. Rudy IS the Rockets, in so many ways, and I would hate for him to leave or get kicked upstairs. But, having said that, things are a mess. You can read what sort of "mess" I'm talking about anyway you like, but what do we do?

What would you suggest? One or two new assistants with headcoaching experience and serious X's & O's IQ? And I'm not talking about firing the assistants we already have, although it's an option. A player shake-up that would bring us a guy or guys who can coach on the floor? (ala Jason Kidd) Both?

What do you believe the Rocks should do in the offseason, heypartner, stand pat? I doubt it. So lay it on us. :)

#26 Deckard, Apr 25, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2003
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but you aren't showing much of a memory. ;)
    What do you consider this lineup:

Antonio McDyess (20/12, Dream Team)
    Nick Van Exel
    Raef LaFrentz
    James Posey

They made the playoffs in 1998-1999 then fell back down.
    They were 35-47 in 1999-00
    They were 40-42 in 2000-2001

And McDyess was totally in his prime. At that time, people were raving about the talent Denver had.

Then you have Atlanta, with his owner saying "I guarantee a playoff" with Shareef, Glenn and Terry. *in the EAST*

Also, do you realize a 40-42 Washington had Webber, Howard, younger Strickland and a young Ben Wallace (getting 8.5rpb) in 1998, then they "blew up" their lineup. Yeah, they really blew it.

Further, the Clippers, Golden State and Memphis have stars. Memphis is sick with talent (Shareef, Bibby, failed #2 pick (francis), ROY-Gasol, ROY-Miller), and Clippers are overflowing. Then try to find a GS fan who would trade Jamison for Francis or Jason Richardson for Mobley.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

TheFreak -
    You were not the focus of my post. My comment was intended as a facetious extention to the "Scheme or players" thread. It was purely a joke...should have used a smilie... :D

However, after I posted I did take a quick look at #1's and noticed this:

1987 San Antonio David Robinson
    1986 Cleveland Brad Daugherty
    1985 New York Patrick Ewing
    1984 Houston Akeem Olajuwon

Imagine how different the Cavs history may have been with either of the other 3 instead of Daugherty. Does anyone think that the EC Cavs wouldn't make the playoffs with LeBron?

I am basically being facetious to counter balance the way many posters get black and white with the issue(s) of improving the Rockets.

#28 GATER, Apr 26, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2003
  9. CndDrr

CndDrr Member

The Rockets and Bulls were champions in the 90s.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah and look at them now. What goes up must come down I suppose...

11. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Changing coaches just for scapegoat or just for the sake of changing coaches is dumb. Changing coaches that does **** and clearly can't coach is dumb because ...?

12. wizkid83

Can some one plz tell me which of these teams finish above .500 2/3 seasons? Anyone? Anyone??????

13. TheFreak

I thought I already answered that...

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Looks to me that these Teams would be the right ones to trade with. They are the ones that will want to try something new!

15. Toast

Toast Member

I think the one we related closest to is Chicago.

They had a few championships. In their championship run, they kept adding veteran pieces to keep the team playing on a championship level. But in the end, all the wheels fall off, and you have to start from scratch.

It's pretty hard to go from one of the league's oldest teams with Dream, Chuck, Pippen, Willis, etc. to one oc the league's youngest teams with only one guy from the past team and be a perrenial playoff team.

Imagine what San Antonio would be going through if they hadn't taken a fall one year and landed Tim Duncan.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Apologists in unison: "You sank my battleship!"

Damn MManal... You absolutely <I>torpedoed</I> the goal of this thread by bringing up this fact.

17. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

None of them.....what do I win?

WOOOOHOOOO lets hear ot for 2/3 seasons of barely above .500 ball.....WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! Go Rudy!!!!!

Happy now?

18. wizkid83

Yes I am.

Seriously most teams don't rebuild that fast. How many years was the Mavs and the Kings in the lower rung before they finally got respectable? I think this organization should get a pat on the back once in a while for getting this team back to respectability as fast as they did instead of all this bashing. That said, a change does need to happen if the Rox don't make the playoffs next year.

19. TheFreak

Um, not really. heypartner already shot that one down. Nice try.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Um, <I>really</I>. How exactly did heypartner shoot it down? By just pulling out of the air the statement that Eric "Just came in second in 'Coach of the Year' voting" Musselman had no impact on the 18+ win Warriors, coaching a team that hasn't won more than 21 games in a single season since 1996-97? Please.

Whether you think Rudy should stay or go is irrelevant: Rudy Tomjanovich is still coaching the Rockets because of his past championships and his status in the city. Not because of the job he has done with this current team. No other coach would have avoided being fired - as MManal pointed out, no other coach of a current 4-straight-lottery seasons team has.

Thanks for playing. You lose.