1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Team Strength and conditioning program

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 21, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Looking at the amount of injuries this team suffered this year one has to question the S&C program. I know players get injured in this league but I looked at the NFL injury list week by week for 4 teams during the regular season (Not Patriots because they are notorious for cooking the list).

http://www.nfl.com/injuries

Texans, 49ers, Falcons and Ravens and what I found was obvous for us but compared to the other teams it was amazing.

Falcons had an average of 8.25 injuries on list per week

49ers had an average of 8.6 injuries on list per week

Ravens had an average of 12 injuries on list per week

Texans had an average of 17 injuries on list per week

That says a lot to me about the ability to keep a relitivley young team healthy. The Texans are one of the youngest teams in the league and they were conistently hurting every week. Some of that should fall on the S&C staff right?

Also watching the Ravens keep up defensively with the uptempo Patriots was incredible. THIS IS THE NEW NFL. Teams are heading into uptempo offenses and Chip Kelly is a sign that things are changing. Defenses need to evolve and the Ravens credit their conditioning for keeping up.

The Texans defense looked winded since week 12 and for a young team to be injured AND gassed 4 weeks before the playoffs is just unexceptable to me.

thoughts?

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hard to say without looking at more specifics, like the kind of injuries and who is getting injured. Could be a lot of guys getting held out as a precaution, especially when we were cruising and there was no need to rush them. Also have to look at plays played in games. If we're not using as many guys as other teams, then that could explain it.

However, FWIW, Foster has been injury free and i believe he trains with his brother. Daniels also started training with Foster this summer and looked to be in great shape, but did have an injury. So, that's something else to look at. Who is training where and is it only in the off season or in season? I know Cushing trains in Jersey in the off season. IIRC, Watt, Barwin and others trained somewhere locally.

If the ravens are well conditioned and they were above average, then what does that really say about the connection you are trying to make? i think the Texans just had a lot of minor injuries and guys got extended rest.

#2 RV6, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think you're making a huge reach. You have to get more specific with the numbers. Player names, reasons, etc... we're actually notorious for poor field conditions, maybe the field is the problem, there's even a lawsuit behind that notion.

Again, it could be anything, huge leap to make.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I remember there's regularly some article about how our training camps have some of the worst conditions in the league as far as heat goes.

Also, just like how Belichick is never straight with the injury report, maybe Kubiak is overly cautious with his friday report too. What's probably more telling is the number of injury inactives every sunday.

5. Classic

Classic Member

Not buying it unless there is some more long term & historical data with a particular set of trainers.

Two OT games on 3 days rest aint helping anybody heal right.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Take the week two report as an example. 13 players were on it. 11 of those players were listed as "full participation in practice - probable". Many of the other weeks had similar numbers. Based on that it appears that Houston was being very thorough in their reporting.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Naw, it's the NFL.

Describing injuries as a regular occurrence would be an understatement.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If only Cushing took strength and conditioning more seriously, he could stay on the field.

9. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

Maybe having our training camp in a HUMID DESERT has something to do with it. I'm sure they are leaving some of themselves out there on the practice field in july and august. :eek: