1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Team Irrelevant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well...aren't we just the life of the NBA party.

Think about this...

Since 1984, we have had AT LEAST ONE superstar that fans can look at and say "THERE IS HOPE!"

Sampson, Olajuwon, Drexler, Barkley, Pippen, Francis, Ming, McGrady....one after the other after the other after the other. I can still feel the AC on my neck during all those years were were in it. We were the team that teams didn't want to play. Just a few years ago, the Lakers were sh!tting in their pants and gagging on their pacifiers as we beat the crap out of them for 7 grueling games.

Then, all went silent. And I truly believe we are entering the dark ages as a Rocket fans.

Take a look at the way the other teams are coming together to get superstars that will carry them. Its been going on since 2007. But guess what? We were ONCE that type of organization.

Olajuwon was so freakin awesome that he did it all by himself in 1994. Then, we started being gamblers. We were risk takers. We dealt to win it all! Go get Drexler. Boom! Title. Go get Barkley. Contenders again. A small drop off. But we had Francis. There was some excitement and some hope. Then Ming came along. Developed into a great center and that brought T-Mac and hope and relevancy once again.

I think this is all the GM. For some reason, we have to sit and plug **** into some...matrix of numbers and equations that unless it equals whatever, we cannot make some kind of move.

What justifies this thought? Billie Bean? What has he won? Morey justifies draft picks and moves thinking long term? How long a term are we talking? Three years? Five years? Ten?

Maybe I am product of GenX...creators of the "instant gratification" culture that is so prevelant in the country today.

But this **** bothers me. We have become a second class, irrelevant, who gives a flying **** organization and I can't keep seeing other teams making bold moves while we keep computing and adding and subtracting and the square root of this player times the vertical leap divided by left handed dribbling ability equals a player we want!!!

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!

I am not the expert on the BBS with all the salary and bargaining/union crap that is happening in league. But I know what I see. I can see it. We suck team wise and organizationally, this team is what Apple was pre-Ipod.

Can we bring back people that know what the ***** is going? Can we FORGET the MIT calculations and just go and get the damn players??

Who? I don't know. But make me happy and PRETEND? Its embarrassing already!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Rockets haven't mattered in ages , just deal with the F'n truth .

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree. This team needs to be broken down into nothingness so we can try to get consecutive #1 picks. Since it's much harder to do these days, it might take 5+ years of Nets/Cavs like performance. But obviously its worth it. Once we get the next dream, then it's only another 10+ years until championship.

Morey's stupid in not understanding how to build a real winner.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sure, it's the GM's fault that T-Mac's and Yao's (who were both here already before Morey became GM) bodies broke down prematurely. :rolleyes:

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

B-but Morey is the best GM ever :eek:

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thanks to Morey btw.

Any ways Francis was what allowed us to get Yao and Tracy really. That was lucky because it would be the equivalent of Cousins being traded on draft day.

I have a feeling with teams like Sacremento, Clippers, Twolves getting too many top 5 draft picks they may want some veteran leadership next season if we are not TOO far behind maybe we can swap picks with them.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

YOU KNEW WHAT YOU GOT INTO!

You chose to be a FAN!! Live with it or go to another team!!

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Your right. Hopefully something comes out of the square root of the metric system that adds to a player and he also has a huge plus minus advantage too.

If not we are screwed. At least until we see what we get on draft day at least.

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

He is the one being called a genius.

When T-Mac starting showing signs, Geniuses catch that and plan accordingly. Same for Yao...TWICE!!!!!!!!!

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Oh thats how it done???...put the 2k down mane...Houston has too much pride for that bs...You dont tank when people like Sullinger and Harrison Barnes are projected as the number 1 overall pick..You tank when there is a Lebron or Duncan comin out...ala Spurs/Cavs...Now thats pride son

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You think Les was going to let Morey trade Yao away?

If Les had a crystal ball and knew Yao would play 50 games next season he'd be resigned by now.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

you dont have to terrible for 5+ years if you tank during the right year...Watch the Spurs in '13 do it perfectly...

13. ThaShark316_28

All of a sudden its cool to b**** about a team that prematurely got shanked by injury. Got dammit rocket fans, realize that the next t-mac couldn't happen. (Trade that got you a star willing to re-sign here)

Morey/Les had to gamble on Yao....he's a center...

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Here. Here. So right I cant know how to frame that so perfectly and so short like you just did.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just disappear again.

16. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly. The team doesn't want the record to be too poor because they fear the lost revenue associated with a dismal team. But I'm starting to think that our best prospect at being a championship caliber team some years down the road is to get get multiple consecutive lottery picks, get a little lucky in who we draft, and develop those players.

The post-Jordan Bulls rebuilt through the draft and we need to do the same.

17. ThaShark316_28

Yao shows problems...then played 77 games in 2009. Last year the Rockets were screwed. This year...they had chandler done...and it dies...ruined what they wanted.

tons of studio gangstas around here.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

yeah but the post Jordan Bulls had to do it twice...remember the Curry/Chandler/Hinrich era happened 1st... dont think we can go through that much agony

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Spurs are horrible tankers. Boston was much better in the Tim Duncan draft, with 2 high lottery selections with almost 50% chance of landing the number 1 pick. Boston fans to this day rejoice at the genius of their front office tanking at just the right time to pick up the player of the decade.

20. ThaShark316_28

Almu's rockets are 38-3 on 2k11...dude turned trade override on.

1 person likes this.