1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tea or Cranberry juice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joesr, May 12, 2010.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

does this apply to all kinds of tea... or just green tea...?

and to all the kidney-stone ex/sufferers in here... what brough them about, exactly...?

it'd be a shame to think that a heavy water drinker, and non-consumer of sodas and other such beverages... that a spot-o-tea from time to time would still do me in...

2. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Last summer, my wife almost died as a result from having kidney stones. She had 9 total, 1 of which was massive and blocked her ureter shutting her kidney down.

On the day before her scheduled surgery to remove the stone, she developed a fever at home which we were told wasn't good considering it was a sign of an infection.

2 hrs later and while waiting in the operating room holding area, her fever spiked to 107.1 She lost consciousness right in front of me. The last image I saw before they kicked me out of the room was her surrounded by a team of Dr's and nurses packing her with ice packs trying to get her to wake up.

Post surgery she spent the next 3 nights in intensive care, and a total of 8 days in the hospital battling the infection. They gave us a 60% chance she'd live through the first night, even if she did there would be a strong likely hood she'd be mentally disabled. I got to see her shortly after she began to wake up, and I knew in an instant at least mentally she was going to be fine. Her temperature was around 104 when she woke up, and she said that she felt 100% better. I can't imagine what 107 must have been like.

She's perfectly fine now, except she still has 3 of the original 9 and has to go every 6 months to check the size of the stones. I was told later that she had set the hospital record for adult fever and surviving.

She takes these potassium pills that are supposed to help. Also they said acidic things could help as well. I'd say cranberry.

1 person likes this.
  3. joesr

joesr Member

Now I am just scared :(

You all are just giving such great vivids thoughts on how it feels and no real answer how to avoid, fml

4. droxford

droxford Member

You shouldn't jump to any conclusions - she might had experienced some brain damage. A clear indicator is if she voted for Obama.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

would you like a stone going through your system? Grinding on the wall? Tearing into it where all your nerves are?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You're on the Internet. Google. Lol.

Kidney stones are made of different things. They usually have to analyze the stone to recommend what to avoid or cut back on. Your best bet is to drink lots of water. It's what I do. It's often said that once you get them, your probability of getting them again increases.

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

aha!

I knew I'd be in the clear.... that's all I wanted to hear...

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Damn, some of these stories are brutal, especially the Dr.s and luckystrikes. I hope I never see the day.