1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TCU to the Big 12

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ivenovember, Oct 6, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're forgetting about the massive LSU contingency here.

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Donny, I know your favorite pastime is to jump into every topic and exclaim how this will negatively affect UT, but you're reaching here. Bigtime.

1 person likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think you have me confused with bigtexxx. This is the business as I see it, UT will be just fine either way. I'm not spinning gloom and doom for them, nor do I care to. The Big 12 will be making a mistake to not make the Houston market part of their expansion plans. I've always felt that way once I heard A&M was going SEC, regardless of TCU or whoever else is in the picture.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

your logic is wrong. If that was true, then how does Miami or FSU recruit with Florida being in the SEC? Both of those schools have great recruiting classes.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Um, what?

Well, for starters, I wasn't talking about recruiting. SEC will pick up recruiting steam in Houston, no doubt, but the Big 12 will just shift its influence elsewhere.

And secondly, what does Miami or FSU being able to recruit have to do with this? How does Florida being in the SEC prevent them from being able to recruit good players? Did I say UT, Tech, or anybody else wasn't going to be able to field a good team? (No).

What you referenced isn't a drawn conclusion, it's just simple math.

Once A&M moves to the SEC, there will be more SEC alums in Houston than Big 12 alums. Whatever conclusion you want to draw after that is yours and yours alone.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Really? You didn't forget about Baylor, Texas Tech, and TCU along with UT did you?

7. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

Wow, this is rare - someone is happy about being in the Big 12 :grin:

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Adding TCU into the mix, I'd like to see some numbers. Adding all of them up, it might be pretty close. If I had to pick a side, I'd think A&M and LSU alums in Houston would outnumber UT/BU/TTU/TCU tho.

9. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Beyond the village idiot you are at this point.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

don't forget ou/osu. and, as you all know, it's not just alums who watch these games. as long as there is a big 12 with ut in it, houston will not become sec country.

11. davemei

davemei Member

This is the truth.

The UT brand is the most valuable of all college sports. There is no way it is going to lose it's presence in Houston.

LSU has a marginal presence her. Your rarely see Tiger gear for sale in Houston. A&M going to the SEC will not change that.

This is a ridiculous topic.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Are you being serious?

LSU has the 4th most alumni in Houston behind UH, UT and A&M.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Where did you get this info? Just wondering as I would honestly like to know whether A&M/LSU alumni would outnumber UT/Baylor/Tech/TCU alumni combined.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

We can play the "Don't forget about X" game on down the line, Arky, Bama, Ole Miss, Miss State, etc. They're not too much further removed from Houston than the Oklahoma Schools. Hell, it's the same distance from Lubbock as it is to Starkville, Mississippi... and only a few more miles to Oxford or Tuscaloosa!

And don't forget, when you're talking Baylor/OU/OSU/TCU, those schools are smaller than most SEC schools.

And if Mizzou goes SEC, things start looking even more lopsided.

I agree, the Big 12 will always have a significant presence in Houston with UT in the fold, but I think it's fool hardy to think the SEC won't have, at bare minimum, a 50/50 marketshare split with the Big 12 once the move goes down. And I think it that as time passes, that split will start tipping more towards the SEC than the Big 12.

#54 DonnyMost, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I find that really hard to believe when Tech, Texas State, UTSA, UT arlingtion are all larger schools by enrollment.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

For purposes of this discussion, we're talking about FBS schools. Tech has a slightly higher enrollment, but its proximity to Houston is nearly double that of LSU.

17. rockbox

But as shown by many posters on this board, the many students of schools that don't have big football programs tend to be Texas fans like DD and Groogrux.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's another valid point, LSU has a crapload of casual fans as well.

Tech/Baylor/TCU, not so much.

19. rockbox

Tech is larger than every school in the current SEC except for Florida.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

TCU is in. Now let's add Boise State and BYU.