1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TCU to the Big 12

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ivenovember, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

They're going to get destroyed in the Big 12. At least by OU and Texas.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Big 12 has firmly hitched itself to the Dallas market. The next Big 12 team to play in the Houston area will be Kansas visiting Rice in 2013... then Baylor in 2016. And... that's it? Meanwhile, you're going to have LSU, Arkansas, and the rest of the SEC rolling into town every week. UT alums will always be plentiful in Houston, and their presence will always be known and felt, but the Big 12 will be playing second fiddle to the SEC in terms of Houston marketshare eventually. If I'm the Big 12, I wouldn't taken steps to prevent that, but meh, I'm not in charge.

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so is the big east basically done? wonder if the basketball schools will join up and form a league with some other schools. has the talk of rutgers/uconn to the acc stopped? if rutgers/uconn leave, or cincy/louisville to big 12? no question big east is done.

4. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

I didn't know A&M plays in the Reliant on Saturdays.

And I don't see how SEC will be "rolling into town" when the routes coming from Fayetteville or Baton Rouge to College Station don't go through Houston :confused:

5. TISNF

TISNF Member

Basically the ACC is waiting on Notre Dame. They'll be patient. In two years if Notre Dame decides it can't put together a real schedule anymore they'll be in the ACC with UCONN.

Connecticut will be in the ACC eventually.

The schools who will be SOL are Rutgers, USF, and possibly Cincinnati (back to the C-USA they go).

Question is: will C-USA or MWC get an automatic bid?

6. duwende

duwende Member

Truth, which correlates to the higher admission standards of UT :p

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Exactly how is the SEC going to be rolling into Houston every week?

Yet who whose games are broadcasted on the #1 sports talk radio in Houston every single week? And please don't tell me it's because UT plays Rice. I agree that that A&M + LSU fans undoubtedly outnumber UT, but to think that all of Houston will suddenly stop watching Big 12 football because A&M moved to the SEC is a stretch.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i just want to say this, about all this realignment stuff. i'm sick as hell of hearing chancellors and presidents saying "we have to do whats in the best interests of our student athletes" what a f-ing joke that line is. they dont give a damn about the student athletes.

/rant

9. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

Good trade on the surface. Out- a team who has never been to a BCS bowl. In- a team who's been twice. Although, I was inclined to favor SMU for their coeds alone :p

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Map it, bro. The majority of Houston's population lives on the North and West side of town. A little under 90 minutes from A&M in most cases. "Suburb" is hyperbole, but I thought that was obvious. The route frrom LSU to College Station goes through Houston. Whether you want to be ticky tack and say "well they might go through 105!!!" still doesn't change the fact that they're in the Houston area. Besides, are all of them going to drive? Probably not. Most SEC folk will likely fly into Bush or Hobby. The only school within driving distance is LSU, anyway. How many hotels do you think are going to fill up in Houston on the weekend of Aggie games in the fall? My guess is more than you might think. Of course I could be wrong, and all those SEC alums might prefer to crash in College Station, but I kinda doubt it, given the choice.

#1 sports talk radio station in Houston is 790 (Home of the Houston Cougars, fyi). I didn't say "suddenly" nor did I say they would stop altogether. I said they're going to eventually be #2 behind the SEC. Sooner than later, IMO.

#30 DonnyMost, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

:)

DanBeebe Fake Dan Beebe
    by MJ4Sports
    I suggested TCU. Seriously, like five times. What the hell, DeLoss?

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

A&M airs game on one of the clear channel families here in Houston. Might be 950 or even 790 itself.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think it's 950. Personally, I'd be embarrassed if my games aired on 610. Or anything associated with Josh Innes, really. :eek:

14. gucci888

So you have some Bama and Florida fans traveling through Houston for a day or two once a year and all of Houston becomes SEC country?

And where's the concern for Dallas? They probably have just as many A&M fans as Houston does and they have a deal with Arkansas to come play in Jerryworld for the next 10, possibly 30 years.

Sweet...doesn't change the fact that its the same radio station with both Texans and Rockets affiliation.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It (eventually) becomes more SEC country than Big 12 country, which was my point. Please stop using words like "all", "suddenly", etc, as I never implied that.

Dallas, not so much a concern. I can't see the "Southwest Classic" being continued at Jerryworld if it becomes a conference game. I'm sure A&M/Arky have an agreement in place to play each other, but I'm not certain if their agreement is locked into Jerryworld.

And yeah, congrats on being broadcast on the same station as the Rockets and Texans. I'm sure that is quite the feather in your cap...?

16. gucci888

I don't know...the implications seem pretty clear to me.

"but I think the Big 12 is making a mistake by seceding the Houston market to the SEC. "

"The collective SEC footprint in Houston is about to overtake that of the Big 12. And you're going to see a subsequent shift in the landscape around here over the next few years."

"This is going to be SEC territory sooner rather than later."

It was a 10 year contract followed by 5 consecutive, 4 year rollover options. That game will be played at Jerryworld for a while, I'd bet a lot of money on that.

Not at all, but just an interesting fact considering your post on the number of A&M/LSU/UH fans Houston has in comparison to UT.

17. davemei

davemei Member

You know, I don't think it matters what conference A&M is in. Houston will be a market shared between UT, A&M, UH, and Rice. I'd argue that UT has a bigger share because it's a bigger brand.

I think you are speculating...and reaching.

Houston most likely won't be dominated by any one conference. They will remain to support individual schools, not conferences.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

"Map, it bro" -- lol.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If I had to put a timestamp on it, I'd say it's a 5-7 year thing. Which, in terms of conference realignment, is fairly quick. Nobody is going to roll out of bed tomorrow and be like, WOO YEAH SSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCC, these things are sort of like tectonic shifts. Slow but sure, and I can't see things headed in any direction other than the SEC overtaking the Big 12 in Houston given the way things have transpired.

Well, neither one of us know for sure, but I do know it's only one game a year compared to the 10 or so Big 12 games that will be played in the Dallas area now. UT/OU, SMU/TCU, BU/TTU (?), TCU's entire home slate, etc. So, I'm not terribly worried about Dallas if I'm the Big 12.

I don't find it interesting at all, really. In fact, I think it's a dumb thing to get into a pissing match about. Everybody's games are all on major radio stations here, whoop-tee-doo.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome news, much happier with this than the Big East.