1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taylor = Fatty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, May 9, 2002.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Clutch. That makes a lot of sense. As far as my earlier doubt...it was mostly in line with not knowing his real weight, not that he wasn't bigger. ~ 290-300 pounds makes more sense to me than 320-30 as some were predicting.

I liked the "a lot of ass" comment.

So he will probably be bigger than '01 at the start of the season, but probably nothing catastrophic and we can hope that he will slim down more as the season progresses.

2. Axeman

Axeman Member

Looks like we may have a "Chuckster" sequel on our hands.

Hey, as long as he doesn't whine about everyone else being out of shape when he shows up to training camp 100 lbs overweight...

:D

3. Axeman

Axeman Member

It's called Twinkies, baby. Lots of twinkies...

Oh yeah, and, "Pass that Blunt, Lamar...."

4. BTM

BTM Member

You know it's bad when they say DOWN to 300 pounds.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, Clutch. I like Mo, and have looked forward to his return next season. This news was pretty hard to digest (lol!). I haven't been concerned about the pot deal, but I was wondering if what HP said about him flunking 2 previous tests and that the info was kept from the Rocks was true.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I know not to reveal your sources, its called reporter-source confidentiality and I practice it diligently, so you haven't saved me any tuition. I might be learning but I'm not stupid.

What I was getting at is attribution. All we have is clutch's words. No quote for anything giving a hint on who said this. Thus, its fair to be a bit skeptical. That's all.

I also think its a bit premature to rip the guy. It is may, if its before training camp and nothing has changed be my guest.

BTW: In no way is this me questioning Clutch, it's just as he admitted without any attribution it's very hard to believe something like this at first.

7. DVauthrin

Also:

HP,

I want to hear your reasoning on how KT fits as a starter into our offense, because I see him as a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Deckard,

It is his 3rd time by rules of the CBA; first two times come only with fines. Confidentiality means that testing is kept secret between the Medical Director, the NBA Office and the Players Union. They will later tell the player of positives, but are not allowed to tell the team, media, employees, agents...etc. The idea is to give the player a 2nd chance before tainting his career. This is pretty standard stuff for a Substance Abuse Program. The 3rd comes with a suspension, so then the team obviously has to be notified. Even still, the team cannot tell the media.

The player, however, can waive his rights to confidentiality at anytime. And that seems to be what they do after the 3rd time, as somewhat part of their treatment, by admitting you have a problem.

There is no real way to know that he kept it secret from Les in negotiations. I'm just saying he could have.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First, I'm not just talking about the offense. You can't call KT a bad fit when Mo's defense and rebounds is not as good. Second, I want to know your reasoning concerning what plays we ran for Mo other than a wing ISO and PnRs. Isn't that exactly what KT does?

actually, DVauthrin, do you want to do this in another thread. I've read your take. I'm not so sure we need to rehash all this. I don't really want to, but I'll certainly read anything you write, and I can't really disagree all that much.

anyhow, I think both of them can be more active in a different offense. This offense wasn't built for KT and Mo. They are just participating in it, and I think they both are versatile enough to do more than ISOs and PnRs, and I happen to favor KTs speed and left/right hook more than the marginal-to-noticeable difference in their 18'ers. There isn't a significant different in their jumpers, though. Not anymore.

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I nominate Rockhead to be one of the four people to see the MoT pics.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No problem fellas. Also, this backs and adds to the previous post. It's copied and pasted from an email I just received:

<I>Mo is carrying a considerable amount of weight. He's been working very hard in his rehab but for while, he was putting on the weight. He actually carries the weight well, he's shooting the ball real well. I mean REAL WELL but his trunk is full. His playing weight is listed at 260. He was around 245 before the year. The scale never measured him at exactly 70lbs over weight, but that was the number that people close to him thought. Could it have been 55lbs? Yeah. The fact is he was HUGE, not fatty looking but just real big, his clothes weren't fitting, and his butt was gigantic. He's working on it now but I can't tell you what he's down to now since mid-april. However, for all of the Mo bashers, this guy is a GREAT guy. He's very caring and kind and is human and has made mistakes. I tell you this as purely factual. He is a GREAT team player and is GREAT in the locker room. He's just an all around good guy who will be back this next year to full strength. You may not like him because he doesn't average 12 boards a game, but as for being a great guy and a great fit, Mo Taylor may be the best fit. This guy is truly a good guy! I can tell you this, he works hard, he trys, he hustles, he has fun, and he LOVES Houston. These are facts. He's no Kelvin Cato..I can PROMISE you that. For all the people that thought Cato was turning a corner, FORGET it... he doesn't care in the slightest. NOT AT ALL. NONE.</I>

Just let me know who to show the photo to -- I'd like to get other opinions.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the clarifications, Clutch.

At least Mo is already starting to get it down, which means he's working RIGHT NOW. We don't really know how much, if any, Mo was planning on "thickening" up, so some of that "thickness" could've been already there.

Also, heypee-Those first two could've been just missed drug tests, or at least one of them. Not necessarily 2 fails.

Clutch-How surprised were Rockets officials, at least what you know? They had to expect Mo would gain SOME weight, or at least know that he had been putting on weight.

13. JoeBarelyCares

That's really depressing news on Cato's attitude.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks Heypartner! I also appreciated your Chicago/Ming comments awhile back in what turned into that crazy flame war regarding NugzFan... anyway, I think that was the thread. The plot "thickens" with Mo! :)

15. DVauthrin

There's no need to really discuss this, I believe, HP. While Mo isn't perfect, I just envisioned him as a better fit offensively.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its crazy to say he can play at his current weight. He couldn't guard anyone when he was 260, about 15lbs more than his playing weight,now people think he can be better 70lbs more? Ask kemp,Baker and some of those guys after the strike how much that weight killed thier game. On top of that, Mo wasn't nearly as good as those guys in their prime. Its just the classic lazy player. Everyone was hyped about Collier and Camby with their 20lbs of muscle, but you see what happened with both of them.

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree, particularly since Oeilpere or Doc Rocket has said recently that the Rocks are more concerned about acquiring a 3 than a 5 this off-season. If so, where does that leave us? To me, that means either/both Mo T or/and Griff will be seeing significant minutes at the 5, and the Rocks are content with Cato as the primary center for 25mpg.

18. Sane

Sane Member

Clutch,

Just 2 things. Is it possible to know, because of the Cato comment, if this person is Rockets staff or anything in that regard? Or is he someone that hangs around the team?

I've heard Rockets players do lurk around here, and I don't know if it's a good idea putting that person's e-mail, copied and pasted here. If I were Cato, and this guy knows this much about the team, that means he's been around the team quite a bit, and he'd know his speaking patterns, immediately recognize this person. So is that a good idea? I don't know, any hint/comment would help. Thanks.

Also, is it possible for me to be one of the people to see the pic?

Thx again, thx for the news too!

19. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

That description of Mo is the classic "No, but she's got a great personality."

20. JoeBarelyCares

You're probably right, Relativist. Since there is only one center left in the NBA, I bet the Rockets intend to run small at lot, with one of their 4s playing the 5. Especially if EG bulks up a little to where he can play defense on the low box.